Scrounging Firewood (and other stuff)

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I'm a bit envious, I'm 100% not a morning person and getting up much earlier then I already do is rough, so we don't make a habit of grinding beans, just dump the cheapo store gerund stuff in the coffee maker and call it a day. On occasion we'll get a small bag of beans and grind them for the weekend. But I'm not worried about getting up at 4am either.
3:40 am wake up, out the door 4:45 28 oz fresh ground required, 👍

What is the difference in the 044s through their production? All I know about this one is it is a 10mm but it does not have a red lever and he used to have a few people pestering him to buy it.

I know it already has the HD-2 filter on it, other than that it is completely bone stock, he bought it brand new.
There were 2 or 3 different cylinder/piston brands they used. The black lever saws were the earlier ones, the real early ones have smaller bolts in the recoil. (Some very late ones may also have black levers).

The ports in the cylinder were slightly improved over the years, generally identified my how many + marks they have on them. I think mine has 3, but I don't have time to look, have an appt out at 10. The 044s did not have decomps, 440s did. All 044s were considered to be good runners. The very late ones have 12 mm piston pins, just like the 440. They are supposed to be a bit stronger but are not as light. Only the 12 mm can be converted to hybrids.

In summary, the 044/440 saws were about the best power to weight 70 saws produced until the 462s came out decades later. They would often outrun 460s with and were a good deal lighter. Mine still puts a smile on my face when I run it.

Mine I got off a smaller forklift. Not sure what they are rated at, I'm certain it's more then my little tractor can lift, which is fine since it's way more then I can lift. I really need to get around to adding a finger like yours. Really like that design.
I couldn't live without my grapple, whether it's loading firewood,

Resized-20230805-113600-S.jpg

OR stabbing the forks under a boulder, grappling it and dragging it right out of the ground,

Resized-20211027-171158-2033-S.jpg

SR

I will wait on a grapple till I get a bigger machine was buying a LX from my cousin but he decided to keep it . His dad bought it new about 3 months before he passed .

But for now these will work I will be doing a couple of modifications don’t like the lockdown bolts to the bucket and the set screws on the cross bar will be an issue IMG_8047.jpegIMG_8048.jpeg

Nothing like groind in front of your face then brewed right away.
Heck yeah, drinking some now :drinkingcoffee: .
I'm a bit envious, I'm 100% not a morning person and getting up much earlier then I already do is rough, so we don't make a habit of grinding beans, just dump the cheapo store gerund stuff in the coffee maker and call it a day. On occasion we'll get a small bag of beans and grind them for the weekend. But I'm not worried about getting up at 4am either.
Even the cheap as heck dollar general specials have timers on them ;).
I've got the companion coffee maker too, and the water heater for making tea, but they only come up from the basement for larger gatherings. Iirc, I got them all free :happy:.

No local roasters here so i settle for the cheap commercial coffee.

Have not tried folgers 1850 yet but i tried black rifle coffee and it's good.

Coffee is free at work if you prefer over brewed, burned with a road tar consistency!

I usually grab master chef in the big can for $7.99. It is strong and taste good.
I do not care for a lot of mass produced coffee. Seems quality has gone way downhill in the past few years from places like Folgers, Maxwell, and so on. I agree BR is good stuff

I do like Camerons flavored coffees. Also any flavored coffee from the food section of Marshalls or TJ Maxx.
View attachment 1163321

View attachment 1163322
Instant coffee, it’s just caffeine, nothing more, nothing less
Oh man I remember when those coffee pouches came out....they were marketed to corporate America as a way to reduce liability from coffee burns. Corporations ended up spending millions on the machines and pouches not to mention their cost of office coffee increased 100 fold.
Hey SVK, when are they going to allow the dog hunting again???View attachment 1163382
So the Sturgeon River chapter is our local MDHA...Sturgeon township is only about 10 miles from here. My late friend and neighbor was their president for years.

Over the past year they have supported many "jarring" billboards to raise awareness to the issue up here. Most people out of the wolf zone believe all the crap that the anti's spew about them only taking sick and weak and all of that horseshit. Funny thing too..the MDHA state HQ actually came back at the chapter to stop them (which makes no $en$e unle$$ $omeone i$ pulling $ome $tring$ at the HQ).

Just recently there was bill introduced (with bipartisan support amongst local representatives which NEVER happens up here for anything) that would automatically enact a wolf season any time they were not federally protected. I am sure our fair governor AKA "Little Brandon" will veto it.

This extremely mild winter has been a godsend for the very few deer we have left. They are able to get forage and also run away from wolves. Late winter is normally a tough time for deer because they cannot get enough food and the crusty snow allows wolves to catch them while they break through.

Old Coleman white gas and kerosene appliances are the best
View attachment 1163068
View attachment 1163069
View attachment 1163070
Hmmm... you've been rooting around in my basement. I've got 3 of the single burner stoves... One from 1985 with the aluminum pot/carry case. That stove was great on my 3 1/2 month bicycle trip. Unfortunately, over the years it started leaking fuel and despite replacing everything that was replaceable I couldn't stop the leak. White gas flavored food is sort of Okay when you are really hungry but not so good for you otherwise.

Hmmm... you've been rooting around in my basement. I've got 3 of the single burner stoves... One from 1985 with the aluminum pot/carry case. That stove was great on my 3 1/2 month bicycle trip. Unfortunately, over the years it started leaking fuel and despite replacing everything that was replaceable I couldn't stop the leak. White gas flavored food is sort of Okay when you are really hungry but not so good for you otherwise.
That's a shame, I have a small collection of kerosene, and white gas lanterns. Have a few that leak around the crimps from the fuel tanks. Always wondered if they could be fixed. The one in particular we used out in thr horse barn for light (junk barn, never had horses in it as long as I could remember, And no electric was ever ran to it.) I kept it when we moved off the farm. Dug it out last time the power was out, stupid bottom tank seam leaks kerosene out of it. Just real slow, but enough I wasn't comfortable using it.

That's a shame, I have a small collection of kerosene, and white gas lanterns. Have a few that leak around the crimps from the fuel tanks. Always wondered if they could be fixed. The one in particular we used out in thr horse barn for light (junk barn, never had horses in it as long as I could remember, And no electric was ever ran to it.) I kept it when we moved off the farm. Dug it out last time the power was out, stupid bottom tank seam leaks kerosene out of it. Just real slow, but enough I wasn't comfortable using it.
This thread may be enough motivation for me to pull that stove all apart and see if pipe dope, instead of Teflon tape, solves the problem. This thought occurred to me as I had some brass plumbing connections that were a problem with the Teflon tape. Upon looking into it I found that my experience wasn't uncommon.

I also have three of those stoves, none of mine leak and they still work great.

I always had one when camping, or on hunts out in the Alaskan bush. Being pressurized, they work even at high altitude or when it's below zero out, and Yeaa, I tent hunted and camped in below zero temps many times staying in a 3 man tent on fly out trips, hunting by myself.

I put a LOT of meat in my freezer on those hunts!

SR

Back