Scrounging Firewood (and other stuff)

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Just got word the WV Forest Fires are only a couple miles from my place in WV. Called my neighbor and he said he thinks we are OK, but it is real smokey. Don't want to lose my building a month after I finally finished the electric work and got all of the walls buttoned up.
O531lNV.jpg
Hope it passes you. Good to hear you and your neighbor is safe.

Neither would work well, inlet/outlet are too small for the return side plumping, just be a big restriction in the system.
They help a lot, if sized right. I have what amounts to a repourposed little radiator for a cooler for splitter 2.0. 2" inlet/outlet. I can't remember what I got it off of.
Heater core….

Better late than never, finally got the plows hooked up and my new garden plot marked off. It has been years since I planted anything, this year will be more of a learning year for us than anything, and maybe I will get some tasty food out of it. Hopefully will be rolling dirt after work today.

Just going to buy stuff already started this year so I am actually not that far behind.

View attachment 1163805
after your moldboard cleans up slop some oil on it so it doesn't get so rusty in-between uses. Mine take forever to shine up with the little garden we put in every year. Works a lot better when it's shined up.
I

I have decided the fuel tank on my splitter is also too large. Takes too long to run out. Translates to more frequent trips to the beverage cooler, if it's only filled halfway
Yep, it's too fuel efficient for my liking too. But I try to keep it filled up so it doesn't get condensation in the tank. Just pace my lazy self lol.
Heater core….
Could work, just need the inlet/ outlet to be as big as the return hose. Could be a tad smaller if need be and necked down, not noise too much back pressure.

Central Texas. Are you willing to ship if I’m interested in buying it?
Yeah, once I get it tuned up and cut a couple cords with it I will message you. I have no problem shipping. I'll get some pictures later. It's not the prettiest thing but it should work. If you come across the right deal on a different saw don't wait for me. I tend to get little projects like this done when I can squeeze them in.

My knowledge of hydraulics is very minimal. So if a fella was scrounging for one of these valve bank/manifold things, where would he look?

20230513_103752-valve-bank-grapple.jpg20230513_103747-valve-bank-grapple.jpg

It's part of a Wallenstein rotating grapple on a skidsteer attachment that I would like to occasionally put on a small excavator (CAT 302.5). The grapple detaches easily from its pivot. This does not come off so easily so I was thinking about getting another to put on the excavator and run new lines for it. Thoughts?

after your moldboard cleans up slop some oil on it so it doesn't get so rusty in-between uses. Mine take forever to shine up with the little garden we put in every year. Works a lot better when it's shined up.
Yea that is the plan. This plow has not seen the dirt in YEARS. My grandfather may have used it a time or two that I did not know about but I bet it has not really been used in 20+ years. Same with the old Case disc I got from over there. MY little 20'x30' plot won't even shine either up.

Well, the cottonwood is almost all gone.
20240321_195453.jpg
Also bumped the speed up on the splitter a bit and backed out the screw a bit on the pump, it's splitting much better now. I still don't don't think it's doing as good as it could, a piece of black locust stopped it, and it should have at least sunk the leading portion of the wedge into it no problem.
Regardless I split a couple bucket loads of mainly BL, couple rounds worth of cherry, and a few pieces of soft maple and hard maple for next year because I didn't quite fill the barn before blocking my way in last spring.
20240321_195028.jpg20240321_191947.jpg
Here's a few tougher pieces it split, it wouldn't have even touched these before. Red oak and BL crotch pieces.
20240321_192259.jpg
Then I split a few more rounds for the for sale pile out front, still got a few to go to finish the pile 😆.
20240321_195046.jpg

Back