Scrounging Firewood (and other stuff)

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Nice splitter! I've been running a similar I beam setup

View attachment 1163734
Similar indeed. Nothing flashy, just functional. 👍

Now you guys have me thinking of adding a P/S cooler or trans cooler on the return with a belt driven fan

But in all seriousness, how much gain is there to be had in all that??

Would just a bigger reservoir be more convenient and beneficial without all the added moving pieces
It all depends on how long and hard you run it which depends a lot on what you are splitting.

Every time you stall the ram you are forcing oil over the relief valve which is generating a bunch of heat.

I wouldn't worry about adding a cooler and all of its support equipment, just add fluid capacity.

Trail cam is showing snow on my upstate property, and more activity, a recent deer and coyote.
We had some snow flurries here this morning and there was an inch in the forecast for someday this week but it never happened. 27° now and breezy. What happened to the 70° days like we had a week or two ago?!

Now you guys have me thinking of adding a P/S cooler or trans cooler on the return with a belt driven fan

But in all seriousness, how much gain is there to be had in all that??

Would just a bigger reservoir be more convenient and beneficial without all the added moving pieces

He has a GIANT cylinder off a Case 580 he wants to turn into a splitter, I’m sure when we build that, we may go all out. But we haven’t had the need to build it due to his 6way timber Wolf (his house ) and my hodgepodge splitter being sufficient for me.

Just a reminder, mine is/ was a dieder that was raised to waist height and then a 8hp tossed on it

Now it will be a 12hp and the pump replaced with a 11gpm

Also, what would you guys do with the old 7pm?

Sorry for the rambling….
Mind is going full throttle tonight
Neither would work well, inlet/outlet are too small for the return side plumping, just be a big restriction in the system.
They help a lot, if sized right. I have what amounts to a repourposed little radiator for a cooler for splitter 2.0. 2" inlet/outlet. I can't remember what I got it off of.

Neither would work well, inlet/outlet are too small for the return side plumping, just be a big restriction in the system.
They help a lot, if sized right. I have what amounts to a repourposed little radiator for a cooler for splitter 2.0. 2" inlet/outlet. I can't remember what I got it off of.
I bet a section of used base board heat could be re-purposed into a cheap, functional return side cooler.

Better late than never, finally got the plows hooked up and my new garden plot marked off. It has been years since I planted anything, this year will be more of a learning year for us than anything, and maybe I will get some tasty food out of it. Hopefully will be rolling dirt after work today.

Just going to buy stuff already started this year so I am actually not that far behind.

1711112378474.png

I
Guess I should add to that, I have about 8 ish gallon capacity on my splitter, it's does well enough managing heat. By the time the splitter is out of gas I'm ready to buck more wood and or take a break anyway. So it gets some time to cool off.
I have decided the fuel tank on my splitter is also too large. Takes too long to run out. Translates to more frequent trips to the beverage cooler, if it's only filled halfway

Just got word the WV Forest Fires are only a couple miles from my place in WV. Called my neighbor and he said he thinks we are OK, but it is real smokey. Don't want to lose my building a month after I finally finished the electric work and got all of the walls buttoned up.
O531lNV.jpg

Just got word the WV Forest Fires are only a couple miles from my place in WV. Called my neighbor and he said he thinks we are OK, but it is real smokey.
Geez... not a pleasant thing to have going on around you. We have minor fires around here, many started by open burning, but not large conflagrations. With the changes in the weather and temperature patterns that could change. This as we generally don't have forests that are equipped to survive fires if things dry out... Our Catskill forests are generally pretty wet... watershed forests... and there is a lot of standing fuel and fuel on the ground.

I attended a webinar by the Cary Institute last year that was very interesting. It expanded on things I gleaned from a conversation with a fellow from Catskill Forest Association (https://catskillforest.org/) regarding the risks of fires now. I asked about the risks in the face of the massive die off of ash, hemlock, etc. and all the fuel in the woods. The risk is low now for conflagrations but if the weather trends continue long term that could easily change. The webinar is available at https://www.caryinstitute.org/news-...m-wessels?mc_cid=807064ee2e&mc_eid=71464e5d8a

I suppose there is a risk of things going sideways in other ways too... as they have in other areas. https://dec.ny.gov/news/press-releases/2024/3/dec-announces-start-of-prescribed-fire-season 😉

Latest posts

Back