Scrounging Firewood (and other stuff)

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
One of my friends from school has a real old owb, him and his dad will burn about anything in it. Tires, trash, wood, coal, rail ties, phone poles.

What's your impression.
keep in mind i am a complete newbie with firewood and of course the c150 boiler . she loves it . i like it a lot . i love that it dropped our electric bill almost $450 the first bill we got using it the whole billing period . we used ventless on wall gas for several years but this last winter it started making her sick . we got new smoke and carbon monoxide detectors 2 years ago when a neighbor's house burned down . it didn't bother me or anyone else but it sure bothered her . we were spending around $400 a month on propane . when she started getting sick we got electric space heaters and our bill shot up to almost $500 for our 900 sq, ft ,home .

we bought firewood the first 2 months or so and that probably cost more than electric or propane . but i have a saw and a splitter now and have got enough wood to finish out our winter here . i'm actually looking forward to getting firewood from family and a few friends land . a local arborist has been letting me get his grey uglies :) . i want to do something nice for him to show my appreciation .

but yeah , the boiler has grown on me . at first i wasn't happy with the amount of work it was going to be getting firewood to feed it and having to load and monitor it . but now i love it ! i'm a bit of a tool junkie so getting new tools is always fun for me so that may play into it . IMO tools are investments that pay for themselves IF you get tools you need and can actually use . if i had it to do over i would , but i would like to have been a bit better prepared wood and tool wise . and Eldon Yoder is a great guy , we definitely recommend him to anyone needing a heatmaster boiler installed .

I’m not a fan of them shoving it down our throats and inundating our children with that nonsense….

Dunno about Michigan, but here in NY it’s disgusting what they are doing
Agreed, 100%.
Any of you guys burn maple…I don’t think it’s to bad, especially if you cut it into a harder wood while burning
Sugar maple is excellent firewood.

keep in mind i am a complete newbie with firewood and of course the c150 boiler . she loves it . i like it a lot . i love that it dropped our electric bill almost $450 the first bill we got using it the whole billing period . we used ventless on wall gas for several years but this last winter it started making her sick . we got new smoke and carbon monoxide detectors 2 years ago when a neighbor's house burned down . it didn't bother me or anyone else but it sure bothered her . we were spending around $400 a month on propane . when she started getting sick we got electric space heaters and our bill shot up to almost $500 for our 900 sq, ft ,home .

we bought firewood the first 2 months or so and that probably cost more than electric or propane . but i have a saw and a splitter now and have got enough wood to finish out our winter here . i'm actually looking forward to getting firewood from family and a few friends land . a local arborist has been letting me get his grey uglies :) . i want to do something nice for him to show my appreciation .

but yeah , the boiler has grown on me . at first i wasn't happy with the amount of work it was going to be getting firewood to feed it and having to load and monitor it . but now i love it ! i'm a bit of a tool junkie so getting new tools is always fun for me so that may play into it . IMO tools are investments that pay for themselves IF you get tools you need and can actually use . if i had it to do over i would , but i would like to have been a bit better prepared wood and tool wise . and Eldon Yoder is a great guy , we definitely recommend him to anyone needing a heatmaster boiler installed .
Ah, ok. I assumed you had one before and just replaced it. Good feedback from your perspective though, thank you.

Spruce, pine, fir, and tamarack is all that gets burned in the wood stove here. It's the only heat source and is running most years from Sept-June.
Never burn at night unless it's in the negatives which is usually only mid Dec thru Jan. Sweep the chimney once a year and get about 2 cups of creosote dust.
The don't burn softwoods thing is a myth.
Long as you’re careful like you are. I wouldn’t burn at night either with my kids and wife and the wonderwood stove I run. Plenty of guys I know prefer the resin as it burns hotter and longer

I’m not a fan of them shoving it down our throats and inundating our children with that nonsense….

Dunno about Michigan, but here in NY it’s disgusting what they are doing
That's exactly how I feel. You do you, try pushing your crap on me, I'll let you know how I feel, push it on my kids :buttkick:. There's a reason we homeschool ours, sad we pay all the money in taxes and then more in schooling. The schools are woke as could be, I know this more than most since my wife worked in them for many yrs. Many people just turn a blind eye to it and say it doesn't effect their kids, whatever.
Michigan isn't far behind NY on a lot of the bull.

Heading to Huron, OH to go walleye fishing the first week of May. Planning on bringing back a few cases of Yuengling. In my opinion there isn't a better tasting beer at that price point. We can't get it here in Wisconsin.
There was half a million guys in the big nasty(Maumee river), guess they're in. When we were out on Erie a couple yrs ago everything was pretty small, but lots of fish, they should be nice by now.

I burn it... both soft and hard. For social fires it's fine but I've found it needs constant feeding compared to oak and sound ash.
Even hard maple needs constant feeding? It has nice burn times for me, soft, not so much.
I don't burn much maple in general, mainly black locust :sweet: and cherry. I usually stuff a little bit of this and a little bit of that in the woodshed, not sure why lol.

That's exactly how I feel. You do you, try pushing your crap on me, I'll let you know how I feel, push it on my kids :buttkick:. There's a reason we homeschool ours, sad we pay all the money in taxes and then more in schooling. The schools are woke as could be, I know this more than most since my wife worked in them for many yrs. Many people just turn a blind eye to it and say it doesn't effect their kids, whatever.
Michigan isn't far behind NY on a lot of the bull.
yeah , we don't want folks being tolerant of people that aren't like them .
you do realize it's straight parents making gay babies ????
folks talk of values and morals , then support a sexual predator .
give me a fricking break !

Even hard maple needs constant feeding? It has nice burn times for me, soft, not so much.
I don't burn much maple in general, mainly black locust :sweet: and cherry. I usually stuff a little bit of this and a little bit of that in the woodshed, not sure why lol.
It's probably my mix of hard and soft... so much soft that the hard is hardly noticed.

It wouldn't surprise me if you find your woodruff key to be sheared since the coupling insert is gone. Without the insert cushioning the coupling, when you shut the engine down or start it up, there's nothing to cushion the fingers from slamming into each other. Also, every power stroke of the engine is transmitted metal on metal to the pump. This shock is absorbed largely by the keys. A woodruff key (pump side) is inherently weaker than a regular keyway (engine side).

For instance, if you watch your coupling when you shut the engine off, many times you'll see the engine side coupling will rock back and forth as the rotating mass inside the engine comes to a stop.

If a key gets sheared, usually you'll have a coupling walk along its shaft. In your case, there's enough angular wear on the fingers that they are engaged with each other and the good side is potentially holding the loose side from walking.
Key was still there. Real small one.
IMG_2687.JPGIMG_2690.JPG
Shoulders of the coupling fingers were banged up pretty well. The local farm store (RK) had the "Lovejoy" brand couplings in the sizes I need, but did not have the spider. Would have to order it from the warehouse ($15 shipping). So I'll get an AM coupling off Amazon.

Getting a little dizzy trying to understand the J1C flare fittings. Looking for a cap/plug for a 1/2" hose and several sources cite these to be 'Fine' threads and in the 3/4" x 16tpi. I compared (diameter) with a standard 1/2" NPT and they are close as my eyes can tell. J1C fittings aren't fine threads are they?
IMG_2683.JPG

Also, I want to add a 3/4" street tee to the inlet of the control valve to add a 1/4" NPT gauge. Most sources of high pressure fittings cite again 'Fine' theads in the 3/4" x 16tpi. Compared with 3/4"NPT fitting and again close.
IMG_2676.JPG

Lastly, I changed the fluid a couple of years ago and I din't get the hose fitting clamp tight. It leaks a little. Once I dropped the pump, the hose can be swiveled easily by hand. Can this be a source of an air leak?
IMG_2692.JPG

P.S. This is what I mean.
https://www.amazon.com/Brennan-2408...723-a119-7c1a43821605&pd_rd_i=B004E10ZEC&th=1

I came across some information that may be of use to some of us in the future. What led me to the information was a woodworker who cut their thumb almost completely off on a table saw. I sent it along for distribution to my woodworking club. I think the information could also be useful for chainsaw guys and anyone who is at risk of crush injuries to their hands. I'm sure many of us fall into those buckets!

The Hand Trauma Center Network: This is a network of medical facilities that have 24/7/365 hand trauma care available. Granted, like trauma centers in general, they tend to be located in areas with high population densities. That said, I'm 2 - 2 1/2 hours away from such a hand trauma center but it could well be worth the trip if things went bad. See a map at

https://www.assh.org/s/hand-trauma-center-network

I came across some information that may be of use to some of us in the future. What led me to the information was a woodworker who cut their thumb almost completely off on a table saw. I sent it along for distribution to my woodworking club. I think the information could also be useful for chainsaw guys and anyone who is at risk of crush injuries to their hands. I'm sure many of us fall into those buckets!

The Hand Trauma Center Network: This is a network of medical facilities that have 24/7/365 hand trauma care available. Granted, like trauma centers in general, they tend to be located in areas with high population densities. That said, I'm 2 - 2 1/2 hours away from such a hand trauma center but it could well be worth the trip if things went bad. See a map at

https://www.assh.org/s/hand-trauma-center-network
thanks !
my closest is in Roanoke , also about 2 1/2 hours away

Back