Scrounging Firewood (and other stuff)

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Back in the day, I heated my house a LOT with Red Maple ... not the best wood out there, but it will get the job done.

Reasons: It was plentiful, it dries a lot faster than Sugar Maple, and it puts out good heat with a moderate burn time.

At the time, I did not have the time, resources or room to season wood for over a year, so Red Maple, Black Cherry and Ash were high on my list of desirable woods. Red Oak also worked well, but White Oak, Hickory and Sugar Maple were NOT my favorites ... they just did not burn well with "limited" seasoning.

Key was still there. Real small one.
View attachment 1164836View attachment 1164837
Shoulders of the coupling fingers were banged up pretty well. The local farm store (RK) had the "Lovejoy" brand couplings in the sizes I need, but did not have the spider. Would have to order it from the warehouse ($15 shipping). So I'll get an AM coupling off Amazon.

Getting a little dizzy trying to understand the J1C flare fittings. Looking for a cap/plug for a 1/2" hose and several sources cite these to be 'Fine' threads and in the 3/4" x 16tpi. I compared (diameter) with a standard 1/2" NPT and they are close as my eyes can tell. J1C fittings aren't fine threads are they?
View attachment 1164840

Also, I want to add a 3/4" street tee to the inlet of the control valve to add a 1/4" NPT gauge. Most sources of high pressure fittings cite again 'Fine' theads in the 3/4" x 16tpi. Compared with 3/4"NPT fitting and again close.
View attachment 1164843

Lastly, I changed the fluid a couple of years ago and I din't get the hose fitting clamp tight. It leaks a little. Once I dropped the pump, the hose can be swiveled easily by hand. Can this be a source of an air leak?
View attachment 1164852

P.S. This is what I mean.
https://www.amazon.com/Brennan-2408...723-a119-7c1a43821605&pd_rd_i=B004E10ZEC&th=1
I'm struggling a bit to keep up with what you're saying. You either have NPT or JIC fittings. There's no fine vs corse threads on them. (Not J1C) 1/2" hose is referred to as -8.
https://www.discounthydraulichose.com/steel.html
Go through each category for the type of fitting you're looking for and there will be plugs to fit them.

I'm struggling a bit to keep up with what you're saying. You either have NPT or JIC fittings. There's no fine vs corse threads on them. (Not J1C) 1/2" hose is referred to as -8.
https://www.discounthydraulichose.com/steel.html
Go through each category for the type of fitting you're looking for and there will be plugs to fit them.
Yes, I have to admit, I'm a bit ignorant about pressure (J1C) fittings. I'm just going to have to disconnect the hoses where I want to add on and check threads with NPT fittings. The hose that I need to cap off says ' 1/2" ' and is a coned fitting so it must be J1C.

Yes, I have to admit, I'm a bit ignorant about pressure (J1C) fittings. I'm just going to have to disconnect the hoses where I want to add on and check threads with NPT fittings. The hose that I need to cap off says ' 1/2" ' and is a coned fitting so it must be J1C.
it's j i c. Not j 1 c. JIC has a 37* taper on it.
3/8 is -6
1/2 is -8
3/4 is -12
some fittings are marked for size, so that should be easier for you.

yeah , we don't want folks being tolerant of people that aren't like them .
you do realize it's straight parents making gay babies ????
folks talk of values and morals , then support a sexual predator .
give me a fricking break !
I'm not sure what you mean, I'm actually quite tolerate, but don't "push" your crap on me.
Yeah, because a male and a female are the only way you get a kid, but it's those with an agenda that are deceiving them into thinking you can be something they are not and into mutilating themselves, it's sick!
I don't support child predators, I agree.
Your banned :laughing:.

It's probably my mix of hard and soft... so much soft that the hard is hardly noticed.
I get that. I don't get much sugar here either(maybe that will make the topic more funner for some :laugh:).
I split a couple more buckets last night and about half a bucket of black locust for the woodshed. The pile doesn't seem much smaller, probably will after another 100 of those buckets lol.
Some cherry, red oak, even a few sticks of maple.
20240326_190837.jpg

I came across some information that may be of use to some of us in the future. What led me to the information was a woodworker who cut their thumb almost completely off on a table saw. I sent it along for distribution to my woodworking club. I think the information could also be useful for chainsaw guys and anyone who is at risk of crush injuries to their hands. I'm sure many of us fall into those buckets!

The Hand Trauma Center Network: This is a network of medical facilities that have 24/7/365 hand trauma care available. Granted, like trauma centers in general, they tend to be located in areas with high population densities. That said, I'm 2 - 2 1/2 hours away from such a hand trauma center but it could well be worth the trip if things went bad. See a map at

https://www.assh.org/s/hand-trauma-center-network
I've got one that 1:50 and another about 2 hrs from house, certainly good to know. Need to see if they are covered under our insurance, you know they can be a pain worse than a crushed hand try to get money out of and that type of work don't come cheap.

Key was still there. Real small one.
View attachment 1164836View attachment 1164837
Shoulders of the coupling fingers were banged up pretty well. The local farm store (RK) had the "Lovejoy" brand couplings in the sizes I need, but did not have the spider. Would have to order it from the warehouse ($15 shipping). So I'll get an AM coupling off Amazon.

Getting a little dizzy trying to understand the J1C flare fittings. Looking for a cap/plug for a 1/2" hose and several sources cite these to be 'Fine' threads and in the 3/4" x 16tpi. I compared (diameter) with a standard 1/2" NPT and they are close as my eyes can tell. J1C fittings aren't fine threads are they?
View attachment 1164840

Also, I want to add a 3/4" street tee to the inlet of the control valve to add a 1/4" NPT gauge. Most sources of high pressure fittings cite again 'Fine' theads in the 3/4" x 16tpi. Compared with 3/4"NPT fitting and again close.
View attachment 1164843

Lastly, I changed the fluid a couple of years ago and I din't get the hose fitting clamp tight. It leaks a little. Once I dropped the pump, the hose can be swiveled easily by hand. Can this be a source of an air leak?
View attachment 1164852

P.S. This is what I mean.
https://www.amazon.com/Brennan-2408...723-a119-7c1a43821605&pd_rd_i=B004E10ZEC&th=1
Well I was hoping it was just a sheared woodruff key.

It doesn't take a large air leak to cause issues in a hydraulic system but that's usually the case when you have an airleak at the pump case halves or pump seal. The oil in the tank should provide enough head pressure to keep from sucking enough air there to cause a big problem.

It'll help once you get that gauge installed.

it's j i c. Not j 1 c. JIC has a 37* taper on it.
3/8 is -6
1/2 is -8
3/4 is -12
some fittings are marked for size, so that should be easier for you.
Thanks for correcting me. I don't mind and it's a means of learning. Plus, if I use the right terminoligy, I don't sound as much of an idiot. :laugh:

Back