Scrounging Firewood (and other stuff)

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
@MechanicMatt
I don't mean to be nosy and tell you your business, but is that a pressure rated street elbow at your pump pressure port?

Otherwise it looks like it'll all work fine.
I noticed the fittings on the tank's feed and return lines, but from what I've learned, those are low Pressure so that's OK. Then I saw the street ell coming off the exit of the pump. Will that work?

@MechanicMatt
I don't mean to be nosy and tell you your business, but is that a pressure rated street elbow at your pump pressure port?

Otherwise it looks like it'll all work fine.
I was more concerned with using that Chinese hose, isn't that metric pressure they use there 😅.

I noticed the fittings on the tank's feed and return lines, but from what I've learned, those are low Pressure so that's OK. Then I saw the street ell coming off the exit of the pump. Will that work?

That's right, the return line and fittings between the control valve and the tank are low pressure which is why they are usually plumbed with push fittings and hose clamps. Other lines and fittings should be pressure rated threaded fittings. The street elbow coming off his pump pressure port appears to be a standard cast iron low pressure elbow which is why I asked. I've seen them in use in pressure systems before (my splitter had them on it before I rebuilt it) and they do hold, but aren't built for the application and will fail over time. Hydraulic injection of soft tissue is a nasty thing to deal with and usually leads to potentially life-threatening infections.

There are high-pressure rated fittings like this that are similar in appearance but they are usually forged steel fittings and are much thicker.
29JD79_1.jpeg

I came across some information that may be of use to some of us in the future. What led me to the information was a woodworker who cut their thumb almost completely off on a table saw. I sent it along for distribution to my woodworking club. I think the information could also be useful for chainsaw guys and anyone who is at risk of crush injuries to their hands. I'm sure many of us fall into those buckets!

The Hand Trauma Center Network: This is a network of medical facilities that have 24/7/365 hand trauma care available. Granted, like trauma centers in general, they tend to be located in areas with high population densities. That said, I'm 2 - 2 1/2 hours away from such a hand trauma center but it could well be worth the trip if things went bad. See a map at

https://www.assh.org/s/hand-trauma-center-network
When I almost amputated my left thumb last August I ended up at one of these in Pittsburgh. About an hour away. Still got the thumb, not pretty and less functional but still got it.

That's right, the return line and fittings between the control valve and the tank are low pressure which is why they are usually plumbed with push fittings and hose clamps. Other lines and fittings should be pressure rated threaded fittings. The street elbow coming off his pump pressure port appears to be a standard cast iron low pressure elbow which is why I asked. I've seen them in use in pressure systems before (my splitter had them on it before I rebuilt it) and they do hold, but aren't built for the application and will fail over time. Hydraulic injection of soft tissue is a nasty thing to deal with and usually leads to potentially life-threatening infections.

There are high-pressure rated fittings like this that are similar in appearance but they are usually forged steel fittings and are much thicker.
View attachment 1164993
Now you have me thinking I should just replace it with a known good one for precautionary reasons

When I almost amputated my left thumb last August I ended up at one of these in Pittsburgh. About an hour away. Still got the thumb, not pretty and less functional but still got it.

Care to share how you did that?
An explanation does not require fotos. Just sayin.

I'm not sure what you mean, I'm actually quite tolerate, but don't "push" your crap on me.
Yeah, because a male and a female are the only way you get a kid, but it's those with an agenda that are deceiving them into thinking you can be something they are not and into mutilating themselves, it's sick!
I don't support child predators, I agree.
Your banned :laughing:.

you're banned , not your .

people can choose to make choices in their personal life .
you and people like you are pushing your crap on them .
i'm not in favor of any biological changes to people under 18 .
but i'm not in favor of anyone being persecuted by ignorance .

I've got one that 1:50 and another about 2 hrs from house, certainly good to know. Need to see if they are covered under our insurance, you know they can be a pain worse than a crushed hand try to get money out of and that type of work don't come cheap.
There is that.... An out-of-network option and pre-approval might be needed if the center isn't a participating provider. Note that some, but not all, of the regional plans contract with bigger plans for national coverage so that could help too if you can cross a state line. Figuring out how to game it before hand is better than when you may not have a hand without the best care. 😉

you're banned , not your .

people can choose to make choices in their personal life .
you and people like you are forcing your crap on them .
i'm not in favor of any biological changes to people under 18 .
but i'm not in favor of anyone being persecuted by ignorance .
"o"h wow, the grammar police are here :laughing:. So you don't have a banned, I guess then the spell checking police would come in that instance lol. It was a joke... but don't forget to capitalize either ;).
I don't disagree as long as they aren't pushing it on others, especially children. Maybe you should reread my first post to @MechanicMatt where i said exactly that.

Me either. But even if adults choose to mutilate their bodies, it doesn't change their biological sex, and in most instances it's a clear sign of a mental disorder.

I have no idea what you mean by that last sentence.

I get that. I don't get much sugar here either(maybe that will make the topic more funner for some :laugh:).
I split a couple more buckets last night and about half a bucket of black locust for the woodshed. The pile doesn't seem much smaller, probably will after another 100 of those buckets lol.
Some cherry, red oak, even a few sticks of maple.
View attachment 1164951
I have to wonder if the reason I don't get into hard maple often is because I'm typically cutting in relatively low and wet areas? The hard maple seems to be in dryer terrain. Is this a universal thing?

"o"h wow, the grammar police are here :laughing:. So you don't have a banned, I guess then the spell checking police would come in that instance lol. It was a joke... but don't forget to capitalize either ;).
I don't disagree as long as they aren't pushing it on others, especially children. Maybe you should reread my first post to @MechanicMatt where i said exactly that.

Me either. But even if adults choose to mutilate their bodies, it doesn't change their biological sex, and in most instances it's a clear sign of a mental disorder.

I have no idea what you mean by that last sentence.
i agree with some of what you shared and disagree with some .
the spelling correction was a jab at you since i'm apparently not banned ... yet .

1711549431756.png

Back