Scrounging Firewood (and other stuff)

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Last post then bed

I say Grizz

There are fools on Facebook that are saying Gorilla

I had to remind them a Gorilla weighs 400 and a Grizz 800 and stand 3 feet taller and has CLAWS

What do you guys think??

I think the Lion even beats the gorilla

Claws are hard to beat….View attachment 1165500
In my many years of being out and about, in at least 18 states, hiking, camping, bicycling, bicycle touring, hunting, etc. I've found that bi-ped sphincters are the most dangerous animals...

No pics, but i went to the log yard today to see if the logs I set aside were still there. 038 had been surging a little again when throttle engaged full last time I had it out. Took off air filter and cleaned it. Carb was a little loose. It's better, but not still there. Finally got a vise mounted on my bench and it's so much easier to sharpen the saw. I can finally get equal pressure on my 3 in 1 from either side.
Found a new pile of Red Oak that I cut into for test pieces. I must say, I love my Fiskars. Wish I'd gotten it sooner. 4 or 5 wacks to quarter 20" dia. pieces. And not as much force on my shoulders.

It works great on roads. It’s harder and more porous than rock and snow seems to melt off better. I’m from the same general area as you we get it from granite city steel mill
Ah a local guy! Are there different grades and how do you get it? I'm 10 miles from GCS.

Slag never breaks down. If you get the right mix it's great stuff. This was a slag pile at the mill I work at.
View attachment 1165591
When I built my shop at my old house this is the drive we installed for it.
View attachment 1165592
Heavy base.
View attachment 1165593
Top dressing.
View attachment 1165594
They have different grades? I definitely need more base because all the rock I had on my driveway has disappeared over the years. I have a rock/grass drive now.

They have different grades? I definitely need more base because all the rock I had on my driveway has disappeared over the years. I have a rock/grass drive now.
Yes they do. Different sizes and mixes. When I hauled mine for my shop there were 4 different varieties. I haven't gotten any in so long I no longer know what they have and how much it is.

When I installed my driveway I laid synthetic geotextile fabric down before I laid any aggregate. It wasn't cheap but it keeps your aggregate from pushing its way down into the mud as you drive on it.

I built it in '17 and drive by it to and from work and it still looks the same as it did the day I laid it.

Ah a local guy! Are there different grades and how do you get it? I'm 10 miles from GCS.
Not sure about different types we get 1/2” for when we oil and chip roads. For a driveway you can put down filter fabric to keep from having dirt coming up into your rock. Put a good layer of 1” minus and it will pack in tight and be good for a long time. I’m in Godfrey

No personal experience but my brother's brother in law buys them for his route managers. I believe they had 6 at last count. They've been bulletproof and get great fuel mileage. He gets rid of them @ 90k miles. He told me that was because the 3.0 uses a wet belt to drive the oil pump. The belt is at the rear of the engine so the transmission has to be pulled and the cab is also lifted to replace it.
Like this, not my pic just borrowed from the internet...View attachment 1165555
I don't know what GM was thinking. It is a ridiculous amount of work for a maintenance item. I believe the service is usually around $4k at the dealer.:wtf:
Maybe @MechanicMatt could offer some thoughts as well.

Welcome to Arboristsite!
Yep, that and the 2.7 in the Colorado

Guys just did one last week

They run pretty good for what they are

Yep, that and the 2.7 in the Colorado

Guys just did one last week

They run pretty good for what they are
Do you know why they're driving the oil pumps with belts? Is it a NVH reduction strategy? That's about the only reason my mechanic brain can come up with.

Do you know why they're driving the oil pumps with belts? Is it a NVH reduction strategy? That's about the only reason my mechanic brain can come up with.
Because they are fools??

The engineers do all sorts of stupid things, the 10spd’s oil pump is driven by a chain, any guess what fails in them??

Because they are fools??

The engineers do all sorts of stupid things, the 10spd’s oil pump is driven by a chain, any guess what fails in them??
If mechanics designed vehicles we wouldn't have jobs! :cheers:

Glad my new to me truck has the 6L90E. It's a relatively cheap transmission to replace.

Cracked Head, Or Hopefully Blown Head Chevy Silverado And, 40% OFF
Cracked Head, Or Hopefully Blown Head Chevy Silverado And, 40% OFF
That was the bullet

Latest posts

Back