Scrounging Firewood (and other stuff)

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Burns ok in a closed system stove like ours, just not as long and as hot as good hardwoods.
Neighbors don’t like the smell so I quit burning it.
Got a version of that called Tulip poplar here. Like burning soggy cardboard.

Finally got the engine on the LaFont splitter. They were made in Prentice, WI. This one is much faster than my Northern Tool Splitter but doesn't have the power to split gnarly wood. It only has a single stage pump. The Predator 301 cc seems to be sized correctly. Thanks @sean donato for helping with that.
Did a late night test after getting it together.20240329_000316.jpg20240329_000305.jpg20240329_000256.jpg

Old timers would put a tractor on blocks and ratchet strap a fuel tank full of steel shot to the drive wheel. Just make sure to block the wheels good in case she comes down. :laugh:
I just did a motorcycle tank. When we oil and chip the roads we use slag instead of rock it’s real hard. I used that inside
View attachment IMG_3189.mov

Last post then bed

I say Grizz

There are fools on Facebook that are saying Gorilla

I had to remind them a Gorilla weighs 400 and a Grizz 800 and stand 3 feet taller and has CLAWS

What do you guys think??

I think the Lion even beats the gorilla

Claws are hard to beat….View attachment 1165500
Interesting question. Pretty sure I win cause I'm staying outside the cage well armed. Just need a spot to set my coffee if it happens in the morning.:drinkingcoffee:

Does anyone have any experience with the 3 liter diesel engine that gmc uses in their sierra 1500 truck. I’m looking at new trucks and looks like they get good mileage on them. I’ve seen lots of reports of problems with the 5.3 v8 lifter issues so think I want to stay away from it. Thanks

Does anyone have any experience with the 3 liter diesel engine that gmc uses in their sierra 1500 truck. I’m looking at new trucks and looks like they get good mileage on them. I’ve seen lots of reports of problems with the 5.3 v8 lifter issues so think I want to stay away from it. Thanks
No personal experience but my brother's brother in law buys them for his route managers. I believe they had 6 at last count. They've been bulletproof and get great fuel mileage. He gets rid of them @ 90k miles. He told me that was because the 3.0 uses a wet belt to drive the oil pump. The belt is at the rear of the engine so the transmission has to be pulled and the cab is also lifted to replace it.
Like this, not my pic just borrowed from the internet...Screenshot_20240329-064302_Google.jpg
I don't know what GM was thinking. It is a ridiculous amount of work for a maintenance item. I believe the service is usually around $4k at the dealer.:wtf:
Maybe @MechanicMatt could offer some thoughts as well.

Welcome to Arboristsite!

I just did a motorcycle tank. When we oil and chip the roads we use slag instead of rock it’s real hard. I used that inside
View attachment 1165549

Ahh yes, lots of slag around me. 2 steel mills within 30 minutes so it's used everywhere around here for driveways, road berms, etc...

Ahh yes, lots of slag around me. 2 steel mills within 30 minutes so it's used everywhere around here for driveways, road berms, etc...
My Dad worked at a steel mill and when I built my house, he suggested using slag instead of rock for my driveway. Wan't sure how it would look. Got any pics of your driveway?

My Dad worked at a steel mill and when I built my house, he suggested using slag instead of rock for my driveway. Wan't sure how it would look. Got any pics of your driveway?
Recycled crushed asphalt is a good one to use and much cheaper than gravel.

It works great on roads. It’s harder and more porous than rock and snow seems to melt off better. I’m from the same general area as you we get it from granite city steel mill

Last post then bed

I say Grizz

There are fools on Facebook that are saying Gorilla

I had to remind them a Gorilla weighs 400 and a Grizz 800 and stand 3 feet taller and has CLAWS

What do you guys think??

I think the Lion even beats the gorilla

Claws are hard to beat….View attachment 1165500
Gorilla, but I wouldn't count the bear out. The lions and snake don't stand a chance imo.
@MechanicMatt
Recycled crushed asphalt is a good one to use and much cheaper than gravel.
Depends on where you live. RAP price went way high about a year ago around here $600.00 for a tri-axle load. Hoffers claimed it was from the cost of crushing it going up. can still get 2a modified for tad under $400.00 tri-axle. I used to get road millings from the township too, (for free) but they started stock piling it to reuse as base material in road reclamation projects. So back to getting stone.

Gorilla, but I wouldn't count the bear out. The lions and snake don't stand a chance imo.

@MechanicMatt

Depends on where you live. RAP price went way high about a year ago around here $600.00 for a tri-axle load. Hoffers claimed it was from the cost of crushing it going up. can still get 2a modified for tad under $400.00 tri-axle. I used to get road millings from the township too, (for free) but they started stock piling it to reuse as base material in road reclamation projects. So back to getting stone.
The slag is definitely more than 3/8 chips. It’s around $30 a ton delivered here for the township

Slag never breaks down. If you get the right mix it's great stuff. This was a slag pile at the mill I work at.
36796434982_2a72009777_b.jpg
When I built my shop at my old house this is the drive we installed for it.
36827602711_9ecc6a6259_b.jpg
Heavy base.
36796454522_35f44f9c16_b.jpg
Top dressing.
36570952850_d86fbc7183_b.jpg

The only complaint we had was from a guy who had a pretty rowdy 327 in his 69 Camaro that had a rod that wanted to see daylight. We put in the 375 hp 350 from Blueprint. When he picked it up and started it for the first time he was disappointed with how smooth it idled. Needless to say he was pleasantly surprised with the driveability and when he got on it the first time he was amazed how it pulled right up to 6k rpm. Another added benefit was enough vacuum to run his brake booster.
Well I took out the paperwork . Engine was advertised at 341 hp and 371 ft lbs torque . The dyno showed 381 hp and 427 ft lbs torque. I’m very pleased
Edit had the numbers reversed
IMG_8081.jpegIMG_8082.jpegIMG_8083.jpeg

Back