Scrounging Firewood (and other stuff)

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
drop 3 -0s and you'll be close, lol.
I used to know a guy online that had a Bugatti, he said it cost him just over $1,000.00 to have the oil changed.

The reason was, labor cost, the bottom is all closed in on those things and all the bottom panels had to come off. The reason for that was, there is more than one drain plug, every low spot had one.

He also had a Lamborghini, it needed a new rotor on the right front, and they are made from some fantastic composite metal, so a replacement was something like $1,200 bucks!

He could afford it, so more power to him!

BTW, that was some years ago, probably cost even more by now.

SR

Back in the 80's my one buddy put a built 289 in a early 60's Econoline van. It was a bit more difficult because his truck didn't have the side doors on it. Don't recall him ever having over heating or stopping issues..
One of my dads good friends had one with a snarly 289 that he dropped in back in the day. He used to pull up to SS Camaros and 340 dusters and the like and make them think they were about to get an easy W until he banged her through the 4 speed he put in it 😂

I used to know a guy online that had a Bugatti, he said it cost him just over $1,000.00 to have the oil changed.

The reason was, labor cost, the bottom is all closed in on those things and all the bottom panels had to come off. The reason for that was, there is more than one drain plug, every low spot had one.

He also had a Lamborghini, it needed a new rotor on the right front, and they are made from some fantastic composite metal, so a replacement was something like $1,200 bucks!

SR
I read an article about what is involved in doing oil changes on the latest incarnation of high performance cars with dry sump systems. Not only is the system drained through a main drain plug but there are numerous other plugs located about the system, including on the engine. Each plug is removed to allow oil to drain from that area of the system and then a new washer/gasket is installed. This requires disassembling other parts of the car to get at the drain plugs. That results in a complete oil change!

I looked at the Vanguard process and it's a whole different ball game. The system holds 6 quarts but the oil change requires 5 quarts. There is no attempt to remove all of the oil from all parts of the system (engine, hoses, fittings...). But then the price tag of the mowing machines aren't in the same multiple 7 figure price region as say the Bugatti. 🤪

I don't know if Bugatti offers different brakes for road vs. track but I thought they had carbon composite rotors on the new ones. I couldn't recall the cost of the carbon composite brake rotors like those used on F-1 cars so I just looked. It seems that three years ago they ran to the $6,900 for each one and they last 250 miles! I recall seeing a clip where one of those carbon composite rotors failed on an F-1 car during a race.

While I could "justify" buying an MS661 I don't think I could ever "justify" owning any vehicle requiring that kind of maintenance! LOL

These have a slip clutch which is adjustable. Of course I found this out after the fact!
The mower deck on the Gravely commercial tractor we got back in the '70s was driven by a driveshaft and the spindles had slip clutches. Not sure I understood or appreciated that machine for what it was until I started dealing with things like MTD/Cub Cadets/Deere tractors and zero turns. OMG... I think something like 8 or 9 spindles have been replaced in the Cub Cadet my father has now... they bust and the mower deck often needed to be beat back into shape at the same time. Never had any issues like that with the Gravely. It's still at my parents' house and over 50 years old... It could probably be put back into service but I don't really want to go down that rabbit hole!

The mower deck on the Gravely commercial tractor we got back in the '70s was driven by a driveshaft and the spindles had slip clutches. Not sure I understood or appreciated that machine for what it was until I started dealing with things like MTD/Cub Cadets/Deere tractors and zero turns. OMG... I think something like 8 or 9 spindles have been replaced in the Cub Cadet my father has now... they bust and the mower deck often needed to be beat back into shape at the same time. Never had any issues like that with the Gravely. It's still at my parents' house and over 50 years old... It could probably be put back into service but I don't really want to go down that rabbit hole!
They are in a whole different class. My guess is this clutch had never been adjusted leading to the failure.

Gravely. It's still at my parents' house and over 50 years old.
My dad gave me his old Gravely garden tractor mower, I flogged it for several more years, sold it on to a friend and it was STILL going years later. A bungie cord kept it in "mowing" gear in later years.

They are in a whole different class. My guess is this clutch had never been adjusted leading to the failure.
I understand that those in the know would loosen, tighten, and readjust the clutches at least once a year to keep them free and functional. Failure to do so would result in them freezing up... and busting things if you hit something solid.

SR
That is like the people that would come up to the gas pumps at the marina that I worked at in those big cigar boats. One guy used to come in that had 2 blown 502 big block chevys in it. He would drop $300 in each tank and say " see ya again tomorrow morning" Would often throw me a $20 tip as well cause I would talk hot rod stuff with him while the tank was filling up

I've opened more than one top loader manual transmission, welded up and reshaped the worn out end of the shift lever so it would go back to selecting just ONE gear at a time.
Thru the decades I have driven numerous vehicles without a functional clutch. Still needed a good shift lever. A good starter helped a lot starting out in first gear from a stop too.

As far as I know the 300-6 and 302 had the same radiators. Shouldn't overheat from that aspect, or an airflow aspect. You could get either engine in virtually every vehicles ford produced.
The old blue F-250 that I posted here a while back with the 300-6 has a smaller radiator than a V8 truck

I understand that those in the know would loosen, tighten, and readjust the clutches at least once a year to keep them free and functional. Failure to do so would result in them freezing up... and busting things if you hit something solid.
Yep. I regret not learning that before the incident. I was so impressed by what that thing would do I just went hog wild mowing. Basically if it could knock it down, it would grind in up!

Yep. I regret not learning that before the incident. I was so impressed by what that thing would do I just went hog wild mowing. Basically if it could knock it down, it would grind in up!
Yeah... we didn't know either. We used that tractor for cutting down saplings up to an inch, inch and a half, while clearing part of the property. It did complain by making lots of noise but it didn't stop. 😉

Yeah... we didn't know either. We used that tractor for cutting down saplings up to an inch, inch and a half, while clearing part of the property. It did complain by making lots of noise but it didn't stop. 😉
I've taken out quite a few 5" white pines with my tractor/rotary cutter, and hundreds of smaller ones,

Resized-20220728-121612-S.jpg

IF the customer wants them out, I take them out,

Resized-20220713-145730-S.jpg

It's amazing what a bigger piece of equipment will do.

SR

so I cannot find the time to scrounge around for good saleable firewood anymore, lost interest when I started metal detecting (just for a hobby) well hobby turned pro is the way to go. Years have passed since I purchased my Fisher metal detector, I never chince out on the batteries either, I prefer the energizers or duracells except one time I was unprepared out in the field~ the detector went low real quick and I did not remember to pack extra batteries and I presume the batteries were just all of a sudden beyond that point of performance. So I had no alternative but to leave the site and seek out a close by gas station or some local store, finally found a place and had to breakdown and buy some garbage/cheap batteries because thats the only kind they had in stock, but they were charging the same price as a top of the line battery, highway robbery? i think so but convenience outweighs anything else sometimes. Anyways as it turned out that day the detector worked real good long enough to find an extraordinary artifact and my hunt for the Gold Bar had taken a new turn, eventually I clean these rusted items up when I have time, usually I throw the objects into a tub, figure one day I will get to it all, well that just happened, I finally cleaned up the last of the last few years items and I am happy to report, I hold the undisputed title and probably will until forever considering what I discovered. So the next problem is obvious what to do with these artifacts?

I read an article about what is involved in doing oil changes on the latest incarnation of high performance cars with dry sump systems. Not only is the system drained through a main drain plug but there are numerous other plugs located about the system, including on the engine. Each plug is removed to allow oil to drain from that area of the system and then a new washer/gasket is installed. This requires disassembling other parts of the car to get at the drain plugs. That results in a complete oil change!

I looked at the Vanguard process and it's a whole different ball game. The system holds 6 quarts but the oil change requires 5 quarts. There is no attempt to remove all of the oil from all parts of the system (engine, hoses, fittings...). But then the price tag of the mowing machines aren't in the same multiple 7 figure price region as say the Bugatti. 🤪

I don't know if Bugatti offers different brakes for road vs. track but I thought they had carbon composite rotors on the new ones. I couldn't recall the cost of the carbon composite brake rotors like those used on F-1 cars so I just looked. It seems that three years ago they ran to the $6,900 for each one and they last 250 miles! I recall seeing a clip where one of those carbon composite rotors failed on an F-1 car during a race.

While I could "justify" buying an MS661 I don't think I could ever "justify" owning any vehicle requiring that kind of maintenance! LOL

Briggs also came out with the brush mower engine that never needed its oil changed lol. But in all seriousness, lots of engines never get all the oil out from dropping the pan drain, neither could you get all the oil out without some major engine disassembly.
Must be an mtd cub cadet. Still rocking the original spindles in my 1450, but they have defiantly seen better days. I can get a new set with replaceable tapered bearings, but the tractor isn't worth the $900.00 price tag. One of the reasons I've been looking at newer mowers. Just cringe how cheaply they are made. I'd mow with the kubota, but that 60" deck gets hung up on everything. 46" is about the max I can go, and 44" would be preferable. Wife has so much stuff scattered throughout the yard..
He does not have any running or parts k181 engines. He said his smallest has a k301 engine in it.
The old blue F-250 that I posted here a while back with the 300-6 has a smaller radiator than a V8 truck
Which v8? 351/400m the 360fe and 460 got a bigger radiator i think the 460 had an additional core row. My 79 (cab) came off a f150 chassis with a 300-6 in it and we used the radiator in my cousins 74 w/302. It was identical to the one we took out of his truck. I don't know if it was original or not, but thats largely been my experience with them.

Latest posts

Back