Scrounging Firewood (and other stuff)

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Value of anything is in the eyes of the beholder.
For whatever reason, people think their old junk is worth it's weight in gold these days. Especially if they think it's rare. Echo 610evl and any of the old/ larger displacement mcculloch saws have hit this point. Many saws I've been watching for months just get re-listed with the same stupid prices. Which is telling to me, that the price is set too high, or it's rarity isn't what the seller thinks.
Today was redemption day!

Today is also the day that I decided I'm getting a winch for my chainsaw mill 😂

View attachment 1169889View attachment 1169890View attachment 1169891
View attachment 1169892View attachment 1169893
Pretty sure I told you already, once you get a winch you'll never go back to pushing.

For whatever reason, people think their old junk is worth it's weight in gold these days. Especially if they think it's rare. Echo 610evl and any of the old/ larger displacement mcculloch saws have hit this point. Many saws I've been watching for months just get re-listed with the same stupid prices. Which is telling to me, that the price is set too high, or it's rarity isn't what the seller thinks.

Pretty sure I told you already, once you get a winch you'll never go back to pushing.
It’s amazing Sean , how people want hundreds of dollars for absolute junk saws,

I’ll never go back to milling without a winch
I'll never hold back to milling without a bandsaw mill, even though I don't have one:laughing:.
I'd probably use a chainsaw mill if I had something that was needing to be done that couldn't be moved or I just needed a couple slabs or something, but a BSM sure is nice. Maybe I should sell a bunch of my sharpening equipment and buy one 🤔.
But I do think is someone needed to use a chainsaw mill, a setup like my buddies would be the way to go. Couple pieces of scaffolding, couple nice pieces of aluminum for the rails, and of course a winch.
Wish he was closer as he just moved, I have all the huge cherry pieces out back he was going to help mill for me.

I'll never hold back to milling without a bandsaw mill, even though I don't have one:laughing:.
I'd probably use a chainsaw mill if I had something that was needing to be done that couldn't be moved or I just needed a couple slabs or something, but a BSM sure is nice. Maybe I should sell a bunch of my sharpening equipment and buy one 🤔.
But I do think is someone needed to use a chainsaw mill, a setup like my buddies would be the way to go. Couple pieces of scaffolding, couple nice pieces of aluminum for the rails, and of course a winch.
Wish he was closer as he just moved, I have all the huge cherry pieces out back he was going to help mill for me.
I’ve been looking. This one is local but overpriced IMG_8029.jpegIMG_8028.jpegIMG_8027.jpeg

Basically where I'm at. My cousin has a bandsaw mill and lives all of 2 miles from my house, so it's rare to get the Alaskan out. It is handy for little things or the occasional slab that won't fit in his mill, but that's about it.

Hey, one more day ... and it is over for this year!!!

Hoping I'll have time to find a load the 348 likes with those 250 grain Barnes bullets I got. The H-380, StaBULL 6.5, and IMR 4350 should all have the possibility of working well with it.

Since I have the most H-380, I'll try that first, and if it works well, I'll just stick with it. (It meters much nicer than IMR 4350 - my old "go to" powder).

Ironically, I only got H-380 because it was supposed to be a good powder for my 220 Swift, but I like CFE-223 better in that cartridge (even though I had to invent the load for it). The H-380 seems to work very well in the 338-06 and the 30-06, so it has become my "most used" powder. I'm loading 30-06 for at least 5 different guns ... 2 are mine, one is my brothers, one is Matt's, and one is his nephew's.

The Barnes Bullet site only lists 2 powders for each of its bullets (220 + 250 grain), but H-380 is listed for both bullets.

I had a guy give me this at my old job. His dad messed with them and after he passed he said he had no use and would rather see me do something with it. not sure how much it is actually worth, if anything

1713184841840.png

Latest posts

Back