Scrounging Firewood (and other stuff)

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Started milling the tulip . So far I’m liking the wood View attachment 1172300View attachment 1172301View attachment 1172302made three cuts need to sharpen the chain. Think I need to buy another so I can switch them out during the milling

That is why I keep 2 MS660s with 36" B+C on the ready. By the time they both go dull, I'm usually ready to be done also!

Any idea how long Tulip stays good after it is down. I know where some monster logs are, but they have been down for a while (but are mostly off the ground).

I planned to mill them a while ago, but just did not get the time!

That is why I keep 2 MS660s with 36" B+C on the ready. By the time they both go dull, I'm usually ready to be done also!

Any idea how long Tulip stays good after it is down. I know where some monster logs are, but they have been down for a while (but are mostly off the ground).

Not terribly long, that tulip Poplar I took down last fall is already looky funky. I have a bunch of 4 foot sections to mill up for my old man, I need to get on it before it all goes to crap.

Tomorrow I will be up at my property to meet with a logger. Since he is doing the 50 acres next to me, I figure I may as well let him do mine also.

In addition to trees over 16", he plans to take all the Ash over 12" due to the Emeral Ash bore.

The Timber Company kept logging rights for 10 years after I purchased it in 1985, and it has not been logged since. First the Tornado took out about 40 percent of my trees, then bad windstorms seemed to take trees as fast as we could grow them! They used to do a "cut" every 10 years! I've got some decent Black Cherry and Ash, and a few Sugar Maple and Red Oak.

My shoulders hurt like heck, too much 2x8 up high off ladders and the 6 foot scaffolding. I may make some small progress the rest of the week, but it's doubtful. Start late shift Friday for the weekend then back to early shift Monday. I'm usually pretty wiped out till I get off Monday. Need to order steel for the doors yet and get the lean to up. My wife informed me we have another birthday the next weekend I have off, so another 2.5 days to get stuff done. Gotta get the lean to section up so I can finish closing in the main shop area.

Attachments

• 20240423_161810.jpg
    20240423_161810.jpg
    3.3 MB · Views: 0

I really have no idea this is the first one I’ve come across.

Latest posts

Back