Scrounging Firewood (and other stuff)

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I spent much of the afternoon at SS396driver's today chainsaw milling the poplar while he worked on his new engine install. Lots of talking too! Nice afternoon.
That was the first time I milled poplar and it is not what I expected. I also had to work out kinks with the Granberg on the first board. I haven't used it in a while and never with my MS661 so getting into the groove took a bit. It was the first time with the chain too. Oregon rip chain vs. something else I used in the past-- I cannot recall the brand (the one I broke a bunch of teeth off on an embedded J-hook). I think the Oregon has too many teeth... not enough room to move the swarf efficiently with the 36" bar so it seemed to be slowing the cut down. I need to try a Granberg chain or something else with lots of room for the swarf.
It never occurred to me to take any photos! Perhaps Mark did??

I spent much of the afternoon at SS396driver's today chainsaw milling the poplar while he worked on his new engine install. Lots of talking too! Nice afternoon.
That was the first time I milled poplar and it is not what I expected. I also had to work out kinks with the Granberg on the first board. I haven't used it in a while and never with my MS661 so getting into the groove took a bit. It was the first time with the chain too. Oregon rip chain vs. something else I used in the past-- I cannot recall the brand (the one I broke a bunch of teeth off on an embedded J-hook). I think the Oregon has too many teeth... not enough room to move the swarf efficiently with the 36" bar so it seemed to be slowing the cut down. I need to try a Granberg chain or something else with lots of room for the swarf.
It never occurred to me to take any photos! Perhaps Mark did??
Was a good time . I only milled two this morning and my back is a little twisted . Took one video no pictures
View attachment IMG_8313.mov

Poplar? 🤣
Well, we think it's Poplar...or Cottonwood..or Potlatch...
Planted way back when Idaho had a pulp mill :p
View attachment 1172780
Definitely not cottonwood . And from what I’ve read and was told Tulip Poplar is actually liriodendron not really a poplar tree
. Like GrizG said its milling properties are not usual . It cuts slower than white or red oak . Seems to bog the saw at times but it looks nice so far IMG_8300.jpegIMG_8299.jpeg
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Liriodendron_tulipifera

I worked up some loads for my Model 70 Black Shadow 270 WSM today using a Barnes 129 grain LRX bullet and Winchester StaBALL6.5 powder.

The first two (lighter) loads did not impress me, but my last load (1/2 grain off the max listed) shot very well.

The combined velocity (approx. 3,300 FPS according to Hodgdon), accuracy, and great BC (for a bullet of this weight - .463) have persuaded me to sight my gun in for this load (with a 200 yard 0) and designate this as my "open field" deer gun!

Attachments

• Mdl70 270WSM-04-25-2024.jpg
    Mdl70 270WSM-04-25-2024.jpg
    157.1 KB · Views: 0
  • Ballistic Results -Mike's 270 WSM.pdf
    186.8 KB · Views: 0
Poplar? 🤣
Well, we think it's Poplar...or Cottonwood..or Potlatch...
Planted way back when Idaho had a pulp mill :p
View attachment 1172780
Land owner on the excavator…im just bucking into 20s for a friend’s woodyard down the road :p
Whatever he can’t just push over I face and back cut for him.
The 70’ trees leaning into the high power wires were fun :p
I’m getting too old for this ****…

In my teens it was handy... never got carded for anything. Then it became a thing. Voted "Most distinguishable" by one of my classes in college. 🤪

Yeah well I was voted most likely to be jailed for waking up next to a 15 year old :nofunny: . Thanks a lot you blokes. This was despite having a cute blonde girlfriend for almost the entire 4 years.

With friends like that...

Moving on...

Went out to Will's this arvo after work to settle an argument I had been having with a big peppermint out there. He had cattle in there, including the water buffalo that has been known to throw other cows over the fence. I got back in the ute when he came to say hello.

20240426_154324.jpg

Even though I'm working down the smaller end of the trunk, the rounds are stihl pretty big.

20240426_163704.jpg

There's a bit of smoke around at the moment with fuel reduction burning going on which makes for nice sunsets.

20240426_170856.jpg

Or to put it another way

20240426_170911.jpg

Ended up with a nice ute load.

20240426_171256.jpg

The 'also ran' material from this log can go to Ross. It'll burn the same but it will be ugly and we just can't have that :omg:

Scrounge on :rock:

Latest posts

Back