Scrounging Firewood (and other stuff)

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Yeah, solar isn't for everyone. There are plenty of ways to reduce energy loss. We've very slowly been redoing the rooms in the house one by one, down to bare studs. New insulation where needed, filling cracks and voids to stop drafts. I was actually quite surprised to see blown insulation in the ceiling when we put the new roof on. We probably could/should have added some more, however finds didn't permit us to do so. We're eventually planning an addition to the house, with that new windows in the whole house. Takes time when you're doing that stuff for yourself. (I'm sure as you know.)

We selected our panels and inverter based in what my Aunt, Uncle and father in law have. The inverter company isn't very old, but I'm not super worried about finding another inverter if this one goes out. Nothing other then the bi directional meter came from or through the power company, nor do they offer any incentives for going solar. Our rates doubled back in 2020. Basically made the solar a no brainer at that point.
Yes you did it on you own and that’s the way it should be . The utility company will go for the lowest bid . When you did the solar did you inform your insurance company?

Thanks for all the replies on solar panels. A lot to digest.
In my scenario, I would not be buying the system outright. No tax credits or up front costs. From what I understand, I will be getting a monthly bill from them based on my usage. This payment goes to the cost of the system. A lot of unknows still. No batteries, no installation costs, no maintenance. It would not be put on my roof (new). It would be a ground based unit. That's a deal breaker. I would have to move a half dozen shrubs that I would want to keep. And loose my spot where I was going to build a shed/greenhouse.

Still not sure how the billing is calculated. Savings only 20-40% (they say) at current rates (locked in).

And they only put in a system 115% my average usage. If I go over what the panels produce, then I draw and build from the power company at their current rates. Why wouldn't they put in a larger system so they could gain more profit?

Yes you did it on you own and that’s the way it should be . The utility company will go for the lowest bid . When you did the solar did you inform your insurance company?
Yes, I did. (Which reminds me I need to let them know where I'm at with the shop. Thank you!) My rates didn't change at all, which inwas a bit surprised.

In my scenario, I would not be buying the system outright. No tax credits or up front costs. From what I understand, I will be getting a monthly bill from them based on my usage. This payment goes to the cost of the system. A lot of unknows still. No batteries, no installation costs, no maintenance. It would not be put on my roof (new). It would be a ground based unit. That's a deal breaker. I would have to move a half dozen shrubs that I would want to keep. And loose my spot where I was going to build a shed/greenhouse.

Still not sure how the billing is calculated. Savings only 20-40% (they say) at current rates (locked in).

And they only put in a system 115% my average usage. If I go over what the panels produce, then I draw and build from the power company at their current rates. Why wouldn't they put in a larger system so they could gain more profit?
sounds like a solar lease. The local ordinances may have something to do with how big of a system they put in + roi for them.

Generally, utilities will only pay you a fraction of what they charge for the excess power produced, so it is likely not cost feasible for them to produce extra energy.

New pads and rotors on the frontier View attachment 1179864
View attachment 1179865and found the new tires are made in the US Nokias Outposts View attachment 1179866and this was interesting imprinted wear markings View attachment 1179867
Those tread wear indicators are pretty cool. Surprised noone's thought of that earlier.
I really wish changing the rotors on my '08 Colorado was that easy.
It's an Isuzu design where the disc is *inside* the 4wd hub.
I've been putting off changing the disks for about a year.
Good thing I ride my bike to work every day. 🙂👍

Always nice when it starts right up . Need to adjust the choke .
View attachment 1179526
That’s awesome. I had a truck with a 390 in college that had a 428 crank so it was either a 406 or 410 (MM will know which it was). Always immediately fired up. Ended up needing to rebuild the carb and it ran better but never fired up immediately again.
Very nice.
any of you have solar? Young thing (cute) came by yesterday and talked to me about enrolling in a program IL has. Says rates with Ameren are going up and I could lock in at 20-40% off current electric rates. Install, maintenance would be free and after 25 years, I'd own the panels (more likely my heirs). Wouldn't want it on my garage (S exposure) roof so would be a ground install. No batteries just straight to Ameren's grid. I've got a lot of considering to do to see if it's worth the trouble.
Solar can be great but I’d be skeptical of strangers bearing gifts (or young cute salespeople). Sounds like the other guys already set the record straight on what to look for.

That’s awesome. I had a truck with a 390 in college that had a 428 crank so it was either a 406 or 410 (MM will know which it was)
The 390 block (4.05 bore) with a 428 crank (3.98 stroke) was the 410 Mercury engine. I had one briefly that I acquired with a 67 Fairlane, but I sold it off to buy one of my Mustang projects, so I never ran it.

The 390, 406 and 427 Ford (FE series) all use the same stroke crank stroke (3.78), but different bore sizes (4.05, 4.13, 4.23). These were all internally balanced engines.

The 428 crank was externally balanced (on the flywheel). Putting one in a 390 block gave you the 410, in the 406 block it gave you the 428. Early 428s (until late 68) had 390 heads on them and were often referred to a police interceptor engines. They were intended to provide additional torque. The 428 Cobra Jet head was produced in a few late year Mustangs in 1968. Ford won the winter NHRA nationals with that car that year, making the 428 CJ famous.

Making the (previously famous) 427 Ford bore in an FE block was pushing the limits and difficult to manufacture, so Ford saved a lot of money by selling 428 engines instead of producing the superior 427 engines. Ford never did it, but if you put a 428 crank in a 427 block you got 447 CI. (Back in the day aftermarket cranks were not available except for very expensive custom orders).

The 427 Ford engines were far more durable than the 428s, and Ford NEVER used the 428 in NASCAR events. Also, the 428 bore was not large enough to accommodate the larger valves in the 427 medium riser, high riser or tunnel port heads. The 428 CJ head has 427 low riser valves and combustion chambers, with 427 medium riser ports.

Generally, utilities will only pay you a fraction of what they charge for the excess power produced, so it is likely not cost feasible for them to produce extra energy.
Pa passed a law that the electric company has to maintain a 1 to 1 ratio for solar coming onto the grid. So whatever they are charging (.116 kw hr) is what I get credited for. I'm sure pa wasn't the first or only to pass laws like that.

shoot a few years ago it was 0.032 kw hr. Really shot up right after covid. Now once the service fees and other bs are added that .116 basically doubles.
Probably has a lot to do with your proximity to coal. All ours comes by boat or train.

Latest posts

Back