Scrounging Firewood (and other stuff)

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Still here and heating my house, water, and cooking my food with scrounged wooden pallets, demolition lumber, and offcuts when it's cold. I'd say I was lucky this year, but I was more proactive. My animals and I SHALL be warm this winter. Remember to ask if you can scrounge wood, load it yourself, and thank and remember donor's names for their kindness. In other words, be polite and grateful.

Any tips on glueing it?
I glue lots of stuff with a pretty good success rate - figure I usually have nothing to lose. Clean it well and make sure you have a good fit. Apply glue sparingly, press and hold until set. Reinforcement (tape or other) is always a good belt and suspenders approach. I'm not sure how that handle is designed, but it looks to me like there may be a slight misalignment of pins between the 2 halves. Also looks like another hairline crack on the right half down by the left side crack.

If you really want to get words of wisdom on fixing broken stuff, call on @Backyard Lumberjack. LOL

I glue lots of stuff with a pretty good success rate - figure I usually have nothing to lose. Clean it well and make sure you have a good fit. Apply glue sparingly, press and hold until set. Reinforcement (tape or other) is always a good belt and suspenders approach. I'm not sure how that handle is designed, but it looks to me like there may be a slight misalignment of pins between the 2 halves. Also looks like another hairline crack on the right half down by the left side crack.

If you really want to get words of wisdom on fixing broken stuff, call on @Backyard Lumberjack. LOL

Thanks for the input.

So freaking bummed as this os a stupid clean saw.

Bucked up a dead Ash log for a friend in CT. Used my MOFO Hybrid, first time I "leaned it out" since we did some work on it. Real pleased with how it ran.

Attachments

• IMG_20210926_144038978_HDR.jpg
    IMG_20210926_144038978_HDR.jpg
    6.3 MB · Views: 14
  • IMG_20210926_144048489_HDR.jpg
    IMG_20210926_144048489_HDR.jpg
    5.8 MB · Views: 15
  • IMG_20210926_144058035_HDR.jpg
    IMG_20210926_144058035_HDR.jpg
    5.6 MB · Views: 14
Glad it fell the right way. The more experienced fellas can correct me if I'm wrong. It appears to me the backcut was too high and the notch looks like it's about 1/2 the tree deep. I usually try for about 1/3 the depth of the tree.
Yep I believe you’re right. Thought it was about 1/3 but was hard to see how deep I went in. I need to find more trees to practice on lol

I have some weeds in the back yard that produce pretty yellow flowers that my wife it in love with. The roots have bulbs like little potatoes.

Anyone know what the heck these things are???
It's been years since I grew them, but those look like Jerusalem Artichokes. Very tasty. The rare individual has some gut sensitivity to them--seems like they make some people gassy if I remember right. But Jerusalem Artichokes are quite tasty.

If they always grow in the same spot, healthy growth, and the tubers are kinda lengthy with a purplish tint, you have Jerusalem Artichokes. Cook 'em up just like potatoes. I used to love them.

They got him.
Glad they got him. I had my bosses saw stolen out of my garage, they left my old Pulan behind but took his new Echo must thought the old saw was junk.
Still here and heating my house, water, and cooking my food with scrounged wooden pallets, demolition lumber, and offcuts when it's cold. I'd say I was lucky this year, but I was more proactive. My animals and I SHALL be warm this winter. Remember to ask if you can scrounge wood, load it yourself, and thank and remember donor's names for their kindness. In other words, be polite and grateful.
I did that for one year with the wood boiler but I got sick of pulling out nails when I cleaned it.

Ugh, took the Rattler 254 down into the woods to cut on a downed ash that was blocking the one trail. Took some apples down in the loader bucket for the deer, then used it to move the log.

Well, I noticed when I was cutting that the handle was pinching me. Sure enough, there are two cracks!!! Ugh, this saw was near perfect :(

Any tips on glueing it? Was gonna glue it and then the wife thought maybe some grip tape over that area also? Gonna run it as is as I hunt for a clean handle/tank.

View attachment 931585
Glue it, then use duct tape, then some tennis racket tape :rock:.
I'd just snag up the one Dustin has myself though :yes:.

I have some weeds in the back yard that produce pretty yellow flowers that my wife it in love with. The roots have bulbs like little potatoes.

Anyone know what the heck these things are???
I think @old CB is right on the Jerusalem artichoke Mike although I have never saw them. I had to google it..

Ugh, took the Rattler 254 down into the woods to cut on a downed ash that was blocking the one trail. Took some apples down in the loader bucket for the deer, then used it to move the log.

Well, I noticed when I was cutting that the handle was pinching me. Sure enough, there are two cracks!!! Ugh, this saw was near perfect :(

Any tips on glueing it? Was gonna glue it and then the wife thought maybe some grip tape over that area also? Gonna run it as is as I hunt for a clean handle/tank.

View attachment 931585
I've had good luck with gorilla glue. Clean it thoroughly before the glue and let it set a day before using. If you want tape over top I'm sure that wouldn't hurt either.

Sent from my CLT-L04 using Tapatalk

Glue it, then use duct tape, then some tennis racket tape :rock:.
I'd just snag up the one Dustin has myself though :yes:.

Already planning on it, but will try gluing also for the experience. Might finish this year's cutting season with the cracked one, then change it.

I also have a bid in on one on eBay, but I have three 254s, so a couple clean spares won't hurt, lol

It's been years since I grew them, but those look like Jerusalem Artichokes. Very tasty. The rare individual has some gut sensitivity to them--seems like they make some people gassy if I remember right. But Jerusalem Artichokes are quite tasty.

If they always grow in the same spot, healthy growth, and the tubers are kinda lengthy with a purplish tint, you have Jerusalem Artichokes. Cook 'em up just like potatoes. I used to love them.
Thanks, I think you nailed it! I thought it may be edible, but had no idea what it was! Been growing back there for years!

Thanks for the input.

So freaking bummed as this os a stupid clean saw.
Which family of saw parts will interchange with the 254. I will have to look, but I think I have a junk 264 in the shed. It might of went the way of the scrap when I moved, but I can check.

Already planning on it, but will try gluing also for the experience. Might finish this year's cutting season with the cracked one, then change it.

I also have a bid in on one on eBay, but I have three 254s, so a couple clean spares won't hurt, lol
I have a 254 that I went through. It has a new tank on it. I split it and put new bearings and seals in it, ring, new wrist pin bearing, kitted the carb and did a little muffler mod. I filled it up the first time to cut with it and the tank was leaking at the seam.:( I ordered a factory tank and pretty much blew the budget. If you're interested I might be willing to part with it. PM me if you're interested. 20201231_171116.jpg20201231_171138.jpg20201231_171218.jpg
Lee

Been working on building a gun cabinet with my milled Red Oak. Taking a lot more time than I anticipated, but I keep making progress. Moved it into the garage tonight as it is supposed to rain (had to leave the Mustang outside).

Need to let some of my "wood repair" stuff dry, sand it, and apply a finish and it should be done (for now). I'll put doors on it at a later date.

Also plan to build another for up at the cabin, we often seem to bring up more guns than the 8 gun holder can hold! The cabin one will not get doors as it will not be used for long term storage.

Also made one Red Oak shelf and one Hickory shelf to replace the 7' plywood shelves that are developing "waves". They should compliment the cabin furniture nicely!

Pics soon!

Back