Scrounging Firewood (and other stuff)

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
That's just showing off hr!!!!!! Lol
Oh, you must be mistaken, Bob. I'm not one to show off. In fact, I tell my kids all the time that of all my many great characteristics and personal quality traits, I think my best one is my humbleness. I'm the most humble person I know! ;)

Couldn't help myself! Had to go get those last two butt cuts before supper! 😂 Took the 260 this time to buck a few 20" rounds to keep the big rounds from rolling around. 👍 The 260's power to weight ratio is pretty impressive to say the least when set up with the right size cutting implements. That little saw is quite the "little engine that could!" I like to run a 16" .50 gage bar and .325 full comp round chisel on her. She really performs with that set up for a small saw! Madsen's set it up with a 20" .50 gage bar and .325 full comp and also set it up with a 16" .50 gage bar and 3/8 full comp. I thought it was a bit to much for her to pull after running both set ups. When stepped it down to the .325 pitch on a 16" bar. The saw really performed and impressed the heck out of me! I was running 70cc and up for years before I bought the 260. I didn't know a 260 had that kind of power when set up properly! I'd put it up against a 270 any day of the week! 👍 View attachment 990422

Cut safe, stay sharp, and be aware!
Have a 026 and 261. I always felt that 18" .325 was the best /max for the 50 cc saw. I have a like new 16" .325 B/C here I may throw on the 261 next time I need to replace the chain. Yours looks like it's doin the job.:rock:

Have a 026 and 261. I always felt that 18" .325 was the best /max for the 50 cc saw. I have a like new 16" .325 B/C here I may throw on the 261 next time I need to replace the chain. Yours looks like it's doin the job.:rock:
My 261 is my truck saw….it goes everywhere with me…it’s kinda like a adjustable wrench or screwdriver….

Woken from my nap by the alluring sound of chainsaws, another scrounge directly across the street. In the past few years, with the mature oaks and ash dying, a majority of my scrounges have been in a 200' radius of my house. With sidewalks and handicap rated crosswalks, this setup has been my way of moving wood. On one scrounge 3 doors down, I was able to squeeze through the gate of a chain link fence to the back yard by removing the grass deflector.
My dad's 1978 Allis Chalmers (Simplicity) mower and same year Sears cart. This was my main mower until 2 years ago when I got the zero turn.
The first load was the 3 vertical logs but loading and unloading was too hard on my back so I started sawing to length. There was a larger diameter trunk that I couldn't budge so I needed to bring the saw anyways.

P5230018-ro.jpgP5230010.JPGP5230011.JPGP5230013.JPGP5230015.JPGP5230012.JPG

Get the echo...they start easy...
I haven't found that to be the case. @Honyuk96 would probably say the same thing. They are good little saws, but I dont consider them in the same class as the 550mk2/5105(about the same weight/power as each other), and the 550mk1/261, of which the 550 is a little lower on power, which makes the 261 a better one saw plan(if that's what someone needs. With a muffler mod the echos do wake up nicely, but I'd still rather have the dolmar/husky or stihl. Personally I'd rather have the husky 450 than the echo 4910, and the 450 is a plastic cased saw, it starts, and handles better for me.
The easiest to start 50cc saws are the dolmar 5105 and the husky 550.
Some 261's start well, while others it's 6-8 pulls if they've been sitting, about the same as the echo.
Primer bulb saws rock when they've been sitting a bit, 2-3 pulls and running.
I still want to run the new echo 7310, haven't had my hands on one yet, all I've heard is good though.

Couldn't help myself! Had to go get those last two butt cuts before supper! 😂 Took the 260 this time to buck a few 20" rounds to keep the big rounds from rolling around. 👍 The 260's power to weight ratio is pretty impressive to say the least when set up with the right size cutting implements. That little saw is quite the "little engine that could!" I like to run a 16" .50 gage bar and .325 full comp round chisel on her. She really performs with that set up for a small saw! Madsen's set it up with a 20" .50 gage bar and .325 full comp and also set it up with a 16" .50 gage bar and 3/8 full comp. I thought it was a bit to much for her to pull after running both set ups. When stepped it down to the .325 pitch on a 16" bar. The saw really performed and impressed the heck out of me! I was running 70cc and up for years before I bought the 260. I didn't know a 260 had that kind of power when set up properly! I'd put it up against a 270 any day of the week! 👍 View attachment 990422

Cut safe, stay sharp, and be aware!
Nice loads, and ribbons lol.
Wait until you get your hands on a new ms261, it's like running the old Honda 350 rancher vs the 420 ;).
Is that a 2011 I see, I need one of those.

Woken from my nap by the alluring sound of chainsaws, another scrounge directly across the street. In the past few years, with the mature oaks and ash dying, a majority of my scrounges have been in a 200' radius of my house. With sidewalks and handicap rated crosswalks, this setup has been my way of moving wood. On one scrounge 3 doors down, I was able to squeeze through the gate of a chain link fence to the back yard by removing the grass deflector.
My dad's 1978 Allis Chalmers (Simplicity) mower and same year Sears cart. This was my main mower until 2 years ago when I got the zero turn.
The first load was the 3 vertical logs but loading and unloading was too hard on my back so I started sawing to length. There was a larger diameter trunk that I couldn't budge so I needed to bring the saw anyways.

View attachment 990444View attachment 990445View attachment 990446View attachment 990447View attachment 990448View attachment 990449
Nice loads, and tractor, orange is my favorite color :).

View attachment 990444View attachment 990445View attachment 990446View attachment 990447View attachment 990448View attachment 990449
Sure wish we had hard woods were I live! 👍

My ported MS261 is one of my favorite saws, but as I cut hardwoods almost 100% of the time, I consider it a liming/light bucking saw.

I run 18" 3/8 square file on it.

The 60 and 70 cc saws go through wood 12 - 20" much faster, and when it gets over 20" I go to larger saws including two ported Hybrids and a ported 460 (all 3 w/28" bars) or my 660s/661. I have 32" and 36" bars on them. They are good for large bucking, stumping and milling.

Wow! I never even considered porting a 260 or 261. Yours must really rip! I'd rather just step up in cc myself. My 260 is just my screwing around saw. I use my big saw when I want to produce.👍 I wonder how your ported 261 would perform with four inches less bar friction while also pulling a narrower kerf with .325? 🤔
My ported MS261 is one of my favorite saws, but as I cut hardwoods almost 100% of the time, I consider it a liming/light bucking saw.

I run 18" 3/8 square file on it.

The 60 and 70 cc saws go through wood 12 - 20" much faster, and when it gets over 20" I go to larger saws including two ported Hybrids and a ported 460 (all 3 w/28" bars) or my 660s/661. I have 32" and 36" bars on them. They are good for large bucking, stumping and milling.

I haven't found that to be the case. @Honyuk96 would probably say the same thing. They are good little saws, but I dont consider them in the same class as the 550mk2/5105(about the same weight/power as each other), and the 550mk1/261, of which the 550 is a little lower on power, which makes the 261 a better one saw plan(if that's what someone needs. With a muffler mod the echos do wake up nicely, but I'd still rather have the dolmar/husky or stihl. Personally I'd rather have the husky 450 than the echo 4910, and the 450 is a plastic cased saw, it starts, and handles better for me.
The easiest to start 50cc saws are the dolmar 5105 and the husky 550.
Some 261's start well, while others it's 6-8 pulls if they've been sitting, about the same as the echo.
Primer bulb saws rock when they've been sitting a bit, 2-3 pulls and running.
I still want to run the new echo 7310, haven't had my hands on one yet, all I've heard is good though.
Speaking of starting, I've been playing around with a poulan pro 295 just for grins and giggles. After a thorough service and carb kit it has been a 1pull start several times. !?!?!!!?? Go figure.

Speaking of starting, I've been playing around with a poulan pro 295 just for grins and giggles. After a thorough service and carb kit it has been a 1pull start several times. !?!?!!!?? Go figure.
Nice. Funny how certain saws are that way, then others of the same model.are terrible.
Just a bit ago I fired up the ms251 I bought last week. It sat for 3 days and it popped on the 3rd pull and was running on the 4th. I sharpened the chain and made a few cuts to make sure all was well. Doesn't seem to be oiling much(it also had an almost full oil tank but the fuel was low), I'll run a tank thru it and see how it does and fix whatever is wrong if it doesn't do well.
I think I'm going to get a bucket of dead standing, well leaning, black locust :sweet:. Talked to the neighbor to renew my cutting "lease", and he sad take whatever you want that's dead or leaning :happy:. There's quite a bit and now that the leaves are on I'll get after it as the Mosquitoes, the barn, and jobs allow.

Finished the "perfect" tree...or would have been had it been something other than willow. I had topped what was sticking out of a big sticker bush. Couldn't see past that until I chopped a hole in the bush. I was a log starting about 20" diameter running off into the distance in more brush. I've been whittling on it for several trips but I finally reached the end yesterday. 35 16" rounds starting at 20" and running up to a 28" bar not clearing on the last two rounds. That pencils out to 45+ feet with not one large side branch and only a few small ones in the entire length. It was clear of the ground by a foot or so the entire length!!! It had obviously grown straight up in dense stand and then fell over on top of another log about 10' from the butt. That was all that held it off the ground.

I still have 3 of those big rounds left to noodle into quarters so I can load them. I'll do that tomorrow on my way home from delivering the last of a 6 cord order. Convenient, the road home goes right by that willow brush patch.

Ah if I could only post pictures. Camera and 'puter don't seem to get along.

Well here she is... 20220524_184745.jpg20220524_184739.jpg
All I can say is wow. Light weight handles awsome. Very nice power output. Doesn't seem to have the low end grunt I'm used to but very lively up top. It's a little back heavy, but I think of it can handle a 24" bar it would valance out about perfectly. Can't wait to get a few tanks through it. Its very stingy on oil. Put half the tank through it playing here at the house and it still had nearly a full tank of oil. Guess that will need adjusted right out of the gate. Sorry husqy.... think I'm a stihl fan again.

Wow! I never even considered porting a 260 or 261. Yours must really rip! I'd rather just step up in cc myself. My 260 is just my screwing around saw. I use my big saw when I want to produce.👍 I wonder how your ported 261 would perform with four inches less bar friction while also pulling a narrower kerf with .325? 🤔
One of my favorite small saws till I got my 562xp was an old 026av. Woods ported it was quite a ripper, although I'd never run more then an 18" bar on it. I gave it to my dad and still like running it. But as mentioned it's more a limb saw then a felling saw around here if tour getting into 20" + trees. Thays what the bugger saws are for.

I came home all happy with today's adventure, wanting to post right away, and then I turned on the news.

Prayers for the families in TX who lost loved ones! Civilization seems to be going backwards.

When I grew up, most teen-age kids had guns in their rooms, lots of schools had shooting ranges, and it was not illegal to come to school with a gun in the back window of your pickup truck ... and we had NO school shootings!

Thinks have definitely gone wrong, but we keep blaming the wrong things.

Back