Scrounging Firewood (and other stuff)

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Spent a couple hours running the Stihl....weedeater that is. Wife wants a battery one because she can't start the gas one. Anybody have one of those? And if so, how do you like it?
I have used a few different battery models: Oregon 40V and Redback 120 V (discontinued).

String trimming is one of the easiest tasks for battery powered outdoor equipment. So you may be happy with most any major brand, if that is all you do.

The key thing I keep repeating is that you may want another battery tool soon (leaf blower, hedge trimmer, lawn mower, chainsaw, pole saw, etc. ), and the batteries are brand specific. So take a look at the whole ‘family’ of tools supported by the battery platform (STIHL HAS 3 different ones!) so that you can share / swap the batteries between tools.

Or look at outdoor tools that work with the batteries from your cordless drill, etc.

Philbert

Took my time throughout the day and bucked and noodled the big oak up. Got a little split as well.
20220528_201532.jpg
I really like the performance of the MS400. Like Sean said the oiler is a little lacking. I think by Stihl standards it's good.:nofunny: The bar got really warm but never overheated. It used about 1/2 tank of oil each tank of gas. I won't be putting the 24" bar on it so at this point I will keep the stock pump on it. I also put 2 tanks through the MS660. It pulled the 32" bar buried in this oak well. Just keeps chugging through. I think I might have the 660 ported and rebuild it in the near future.

Not that I'm looking, but if I was and I was in an area where there were options, I wouldn't date a woman who shopped at Walmart,
There’s really no other choice here. Walmart, $$$uper Target, or regionsl supermarket chain that devoured the little guys and then jacked the prices. Therefore Walmart it is.
If you saw my wife you'd know I married up, she's 6' and I'm 5,7 😆.
Tall women are great. I’ve yet to date someone taller than me but dated a gal my height (5’11) for a while last summer. Kissing took some getting used to because usually you’re bending down to kiss someone from 4-12 inches shorter than you lol.

To add to the mystique she was a redhead.

Youngest son and I took the little guy to the cabin yesterday. Spent several hours outside and the gnats continued to get worse as the day wore on. Three deer ticks disposed of so far.

Picked up and put away a few things from around the yard that were missed last fall after the snow storm. We’re ready for summer up there now and the grass is already getting long.

F33C7609-236A-4F59-BE99-FBF436C4980C.jpegB8EB0A67-086E-4FE8-8AFF-9D85B964FF8F.jpeg

There’s really no other choice here. Walmart, $$$uper Target, or regionsl supermarket chain that devoured the little guys and then jacked the prices. Therefore Walmart it is.

Tall women are great. I’ve yet to date someone taller than me but dated a gal my height (5’11) for a while last summer. Kissing took some getting used to because usually you’re bending down to kiss someone from 4-12 inches shorter than you lol.

To add to the mystique she was a redhead.
That sucks, they are a very preditorial company. We have a company near us that they literally made the threat to saying that if you build a Meijer we will build a wally world. Meijer is a regional company, not worldwide like WW, craze to make a threat like that. In Greenville MI, which is just a bit north of us Meijer built a nice new store, so WW wanted to build one there too. So they started the process and were going buy right across the street, well Greenville is where Meijer started out with their very first store and they have done a lot for the community, to everyone's surprise Greenville did not approve their plan and said they had to build outside of the city limits :). Well they went literally to the other side of the line(maybe 1/8 mile away from Meijer), the good thing isnit cost them a lot more.
My wife is 100% Norwegian, her family actually came to America and moved right into Minnesota, sure there's more tall gals up there :).
Have a great time up there with the kids.

Meijer is a regional company, not worldwide like WW,
I remember ‘Meijer’s Thrifty Acres’ from many years ago. First store I saw where you could checkout with a sheet of plywood, a frozen turkey, and a pair of jeans in the same lane. And I did!

We have Fresh Thyme Markets here, which are owned by Meijer, and has about 70 stores across 11 states. Kinda has a Trader Joe’s type feel.

Philbert

Couldn't help myself! Had to go get those last two butt cuts before supper! 😂 Took the 260 this time to buck a few 20" rounds to keep the big rounds from rolling around. 👍 The 260's power to weight ratio is pretty impressive to say the least when set up with the right size cutting implements. That little saw is quite the "little engine that could!" I like to run a 16" .50 gage bar and .325 full comp round chisel on her. She really performs with that set up for a small saw! Madsen's set it up with a 20" .50 gage bar and .325 full comp and also set it up with a 16" .50 gage bar and 3/8 full comp. I thought it was a bit to much for her to pull after running both set ups. When stepped it down to the .325 pitch on a 16" bar. The saw really performed and impressed the heck out of me! I was running 70cc and up for years before I bought the 260. I didn't know a 260 had that kind of power when set up properly! I'd put it up against a 270 any day of the week! 👍 View attachment 990422

Cut safe, stay sharp, and be aware!
war wagon! lol

Woken from my nap by the alluring sound of chainsaws, another scrounge directly across the street. In the past few years, with the mature oaks and ash dying, a majority of my scrounges have been in a 200' radius of my house. With sidewalks and handicap rated crosswalks, this setup has been my way of moving wood. On one scrounge 3 doors down, I was able to squeeze through the gate of a chain link fence to the back yard by removing the grass deflector.
My dad's 1978 Allis Chalmers (Simplicity) mower and same year Sears cart. This was my main mower until 2 years ago when I got the zero turn.
The first load was the 3 vertical logs but loading and unloading was too hard on my back so I started sawing to length. There was a larger diameter trunk that I couldn't budge so I needed to bring the saw anyways.

View attachment 990444View attachment 990445View attachment 990446View attachment 990447View attachment 990448View attachment 990449
nice wood stack, nice foto essay! :)

Spent a couple hours running the Stihl....weedeater that is. Wife wants a battery one because she can't start the gas one. Anybody have one of those? And if so, how do you like it?
Yea I got one, my wife cant start the gas weed eater either, but I still love her

I split all the Black Locust on Fri and delivered it to its new home yesterday. I split more than 1/4 cord with the X-27, then broke out the hydro splitter when my right shoulder started feeling some pain.

Of course, I ended up getting drenched ... T storms broke out as I was unloading, and my rain jacket seems to have lost its waterproofing for more than just a few minutes.

That said I was glad to get it done.

Attachments

• IMG_20220526_154403042_HDR.jpg
    IMG_20220526_154403042_HDR.jpg
    5.7 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_20220526_154446483_HDR.jpg
    IMG_20220526_154446483_HDR.jpg
    5.2 MB · Views: 0
Upgrading my equipment with my latest scrounge. Not wood, but a two-wheeled wheel barrow. Plastic tub (I hate plastic) is cracked beyond use, the tires need air and the metal is rusting. I've got a spare slightly cracked tub that I'll swap out until I find another metal one (I found one before). Paint and air and it'll be good as new. I hope I'm not making a certain person jealous.
IMG_1103.jpg
Finished splitting all of the recent Cherry I got.

Walmart, $$$uper Target, or regionsl supermarket chain ..... Therefore Walmart it is.
Farm and Fleet is where you find the keepers.
KIMG1188.JPG
Those Northern girls WILL keep you warm at night!
Everyone helps at the work farm.
KIMG1190.JPG

Two more loads bucked, split and stacked today. About 8 cord since late winter, nearly all Ash.

KIMG1191.JPG
This is the 25' "temporary overflow stack". 80' of 4' deep 7' high racks are filled.
PS used bilboard canvas, fold over about 3" and 1/2 grommets on 3' centers I drive lags into chunks to pull down and fasten the tarp with poly rope.
https://www.woodenboatstore.com/products/1-2-grommet-kit

Latest posts

Back