SE Pennsylvania mechanic needed

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
BigOakAdot

BigOakAdot

ArboristSite newb
Hey guys,

I'm a relatively new member who got into chainsaw milling a few years back. I've purchased a few saws on here and I need help with a couple of them.

The saws in question are an 076 super and an 090. The 076 came to me and was a solid runner. Probably milled up 10 plus large logs with it before she went down.

As to what happened, I was milling white oak and I was on my last cut of that particular log. The saw was not into a lot of wood so it was moving quite quick through the cut and at the very end I heard it rev a lil higher and poof she shut down all of a sudden. Some light smoke came out of the fins and I haven't touched her since.

Fwiw it seems to still have some compression and moves relatively normal up and down in the cylinder. Like I said I'm pretty clueless so want someone to take a look at it.

090 came to me "as a runner that probably needed rings". I haven't looked into it much but the air filter seems to be shot. Looking to get that saw up and running as well.

Long story short I'm in need of a trustworthy member who does chainsaw repair. I'm in ambler, pa and don't mind driving a little distance to drop them off. Seems dumb to ship at that point I mine as well take the saw to a shop nearby.

Not looking for a super deal I just assume it would be a little cheaper to find a mechanic directly. Any info helps.

Ps if anyone feels like holding my hand I could try and do some repairs
Myself but I'm pretty clueless when it comes to small engine repair.

Thanks!

Andrew

TrevorH

TrevorH

Stihl Afficianado
Run some ethanol free gas and change the muffler bearings, and the 076 will be back up and running! But on a more serious note, if you were in south carolina, i would help, but if you have specific questions, I can answer them.

Derrick Sawyer

Derrick Sawyer

ArboristSite Guru
Theres a couple of us in that area of Montgomeryville/Lansdale/Harleysville but for me, I am too busy to even work on my own projects at the moment and i haven't had any experience with those saws, if it was an 044 or 066 it would be a common diagnosis, rebuild with common tools....i barely remember working on a build for an 041 and it was different from what i'm used to and tougher to find parts, though i did get some used parts at my chainsaw shop, Penn Holo in Skippack. I would first try looking thru the spark plug hole with a pen light to see if the cylinder is scored above the exhaust port, that's easier then taking the muffler off to check the piston.

BigOakAdot

BigOakAdot

ArboristSite newb
Thanks guys. Penn hollo is where my buddy from Clauser tree care takes all of his saws. I guess I could always just drop them off there but figured it would be pretty damn expensive.

I'll look into omb as well. If anyone knows or is a mechanic looking for some side work let me know.

Andrew

TrevorH

TrevorH

Stihl Afficianado
Well, the real issue in question is parts. Stihl no longer sells the cylinder & piston kit for the 076 from a quick glance without calling stihl, so at my dealer we would probably charge $60 labor for the job, but you would have to acquire the parts through eBay or some other place that carries vintage saw parts. All that said, an old price exists in stihl partsmart (their old lookup system) of about 325 for the piston and cylinder kit, when a quick look on ebay shows about 69 to 150 for an aftermarket kit. For the 090, stihl shows the piston/cyl kit for about 390, but it would be backordered from mid-atlantic stihl. Your stihl dealer may have different pricing and availability for those same parts. the kit P/N for the 090 is 1106 020 1211. I would still charge $60 labor for that one also.

psuiewalsh

psuiewalsh

Addicted to ArboristSite
. AS Supporting Member.
I'm about 1.5 hours away. Those are both vintage saws so there could be any number of issues with them. @lone wolf is closer geographically to you if he has any interest in looking at them. The 076 should not be a big issue as the cutoff version was made for a long time. The 090 might be harder to get parts. I know that there are Chinese parts being made that can work for some parts.

BigOakAdot

BigOakAdot

ArboristSite newb
OP pull the muffler and look and see if the piston is scored, if it is and it is heavy, you are looking at a lot of money because a new cyl would be needed then piston ,seals,etc. If you go to a dealer you will get robbed.
I'll try and get a pic of both saws pistons and see what you guys think. The 090 isn't as important to me as the 076 at the moment. If I could get that up and running for a reasonable price I would be happy.

TrevorH

TrevorH

Stihl Afficianado
From personal experience, in a lot of the 2 strokes, by the time the rings are gone, installing new rings is only a temporary fix. If you are paying labor to have all that apart, i personally prefer to go ahead and slap the cylinder on. That said, just because he said it needed rings doesn't necessarily mean it does. I hear that from customers all the time and only sometimes is it true. One good helpful easy test is to hold the powerhead by the starter rope and see how fast it falls to the ground. If you post a video of that, It will give us some more insight as to what your next steps are. Pics of the inside of cylinder would be great too!

BigOakAdot

BigOakAdot

ArboristSite newb
Yeah I'm going to yank the muffler and take a look inside. I've done that before with my 084 so I think I can handle that much lol. The 076 definitely still has some compression from what I can tell when pulling on the rope.

Knobby57

Knobby57

Peeing outdoors
I’m in pa Wilkes Barre area and willing to help out . If it started to really rev before it quit I would be shocked to see the piston not smoked .the 090 is is sweet saw for milling and hard to replace and carries a good price even today . It would be with the money to send the 090 out and have it ported and have the lower end rebuilt at the same time and you would have a great saw . And like said earlier . The cab is probably toast from sitting

Latest posts