Sealant for fuel tank??

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MechanicMatt

Cut Split Stack Burn
Reaction score
What do you guys use to seal your fuel tanks? Epoxy? JB Weld??? I don't want to do it twice so I figure ill ask you guys. The tank is made out of steel. Also have a generator tank with a couple pin holes, so what would you use on plastic??

Clean it flush it out super untill u cant smell gas and braze it if steel

Plastic a plastic welder and use the same kind of lastic as what ur welding

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

For a steel can, I would use a "tank liner". Something like "Red koat". I have used a similar product on a Gen with a rusty tank and it worked great. I do not think it would work for plastic at all. Like already stated, plastic weld that one. Here is a link for Red kote: http://www.dimecitycycles.com/red-kote-fuel-tank-sealer-liner.html

i've done many car tanks with that fuel tank repair coating **** and it works good. the longest lasting metal tank fix i've ever done with JB weld was a 1996 suzuki 2200 watt generator. i did that over 10 years ago and it still doesn't leak. preparation is everything. some of the holes in that tank were bigger then what i'd call a pin hole as well.

That redkoat looks interesting, I think though Im gonna try my tried and true first love....... JB Weld. Thanks for the input guys.

I've used a product called"Sealall". Works VERY well on any hard surface and it dries clear and stays pliable.

if its a metal tank and you can get it clean and its steel why not braze it up it wont leak again

come on guys have a little fun

Well Glock, because I DON'T have balls of steel. I dunno, i've seen a automotive fuel tank go up before (not my doing) and I really don't like the idea of using fire near fuel or fuel vapors. Call me what ever you want, not my cup of tea. Yeah Im sure it would seal up nice, but Ill pass.

I understand completely in my first post i stated wash it out until u cant smell it anymore. Its all in the prep before hand

Then when your done the tank wil be great Jb weld is a contact type sealant u need a saturation type sealent

The gas tank epoxy will work just get it clean and dry before applying. Its the 2 part stuff you kneed together stuff

i had some left over fibre glass one day. said to my self i was going to try it on a gas tank for a saw.. its been holding for 6months hasent leaked yet surprised me

if its a metal tank and you can get it clean and its steel why not braze it up it wont leak again

come on guys have a little fun
Well I see a larger problem in that if we are talking about a chainsaw, the "metal" tank is highly probable magnesium!!! Magnesium and flames don't interact to well, in other words the magnesium will start burning and nothing on earth is going to extinguish it.

Well I see a larger problem in that if we are talking about a chainsaw, the "metal" tank is highly probable magnesium!!! Magnesium and flames don't interact to well, in other words the magnesium will start burning and nothing on earth is going to extinguish it.

You can weld magnesium. How is it the metal doesn't burst into flames under the arc? ;)

Did you read the question its a metal tank on a generator made out of steel

You can weld magnesium. How is it the metal doesn't burst into flames under the arc? ;)
its the inert argon gas around the flame,,,that keeps it from lighting, ive welded mag more than once,,with the tig,,and it wont light off!!!! but like he said,,you get mag burning,,your can throw it in a tank of water,,and itll still keep burning!!! know those little sticks you can buy,,to start a campfire?? the metal shavings that come off,,,are mag.....

Ok. Ive done tanks before just clean clean clean youll be ok.if not boom

Back