Sealing a woodstove

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

NCPT

Love my saws
Reaction score
I have a Fisher Papa Bear in my shop. Started a few fires and noticed a gap around where the pipe comes out of the back of the stove. A 3-4" weld is all that is holding it on with a very small 3/16" gap around the rest of the pipe.....I could see the fire burning in the stove, through this gap. I decided to use a sealant instead of welding and used this JB Weld product. I applied three coats over the week and it actually looked good when I applied it but apparently it dripped down while I was waiting for it to cure.
20181110_171904.jpg

The JB Weld worked good at sealing the gap and has set like a rock. Today I started a fire for the first time after it cured. Tinder, kindling, surrounded with firewood, lit the match and this stove took off like a jet. It was thumping after 10 minutes and I couldn't slow it down. Finally figured out how to feed it after being in the shop all afternoon building boxes to store firewood in the basement.

20181110_171838.jpg

20181110_171828.jpg

Only one hot fire all afternoon so far but this product has held up. Seems like good stuff if anyone is needing to do something similar.

Not sure it will hold up, i tried to fix a small hole in a lawnmower muffler until my new one was shipped, and the JB did not hold for more than a couple days. could have been the vibration that made it fail though. might let loose when she cools down

Not sure it will hold up, i tried to fix a small hole in a lawnmower muffler until my new one was shipped, and the JB did not hold for more than a couple days. could have been the vibration that made it fail though. might let loose when she cools down
I'll have to keep an eye on it to see how it holds up. Its rated for 2400°f and says it's made for fire boxes.

Iv'e had better success with High Temp silicone it stays more flexible & seems to cope better with the expansion /contraction a big hose clip fitted with edge touching the stove back fitted with the goo still wet helped

Latest posts

Back