Sealing cedar endcuts?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cutngo

Reaction score
New to csm-have cut some cherry and cedar. I know I have to seal the ends of the cherry, but do I need to do it on softwoods such as cedar, redwood, and fir? Thanks

New to csm-have cut some cherry and cedar. I know I have to seal the ends of the cherry, but do I need to do it on softwoods such as cedar, redwood, and fir? Thanks

All logs, all species will dry and start to check at some point... softwood, hardwood... all. Some dry faster than others, and it also depends on local weather conditions, but all wood will eventually start to check.

I dont bother sealing softwoods like pine and cedar, although with wide or thicker boards it may help. They dry fast and have low shrinkage so they usually dont end check (Much).

Cheers

Ian

I have some cedar in my sticker pile that has been milled for a few months now. I didnt seal the ends because I just planned on using it on some exterior framing and didnt see the need. It does have some checking occuring but nothing major so far. If I were going to mill cedar for projects in my shop I would definitely seal the ends the same as I would the hardwoods. I think that you could look at it as cheap insurance.

Hello, New to logging and milling...... can you just use any old cheap paint to seal the ends or is there a special sealant??

Thanks,

TNT

Sealer

:blob2: You should seal cedar ends to prevent end cracking. Paint works good but log end sealer is 10 times better. You can get it formulated with antifreeze, so it won't freeze in the winter. Bailley's sells it and there is another company whose name escapes me now. About $50-60/5 gal bucket.

Back