Sears/David Bradley U4D starter problems

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

thefarmboy21

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
The other day, my buddy gave me an old David Bradley (Sears) U4D model 917.60036 I believe. It's got the AH-47 and the kill switch by the carb. Tonight I started fooling around with it and the starter doesn't want to catch like it should. I took the cover off and sprayed some lube down on there and seemed like everything started pulling easier/smoother and stopped squeaking, but when I put it back on, it catches less often than before?!?! I really don't understand how this style works. I see how it catches, but I don't understand what makes the single little blade come out and stay out and then return. The little ring cover that conceals it all on the inside, still has the spring action and I see two little screws that act like stops for it, but I don't see what happens that makes the catch blade fly out. The saw cleaned up really well and feels like it has great compression, so I'd really like to figure this starter out and put some gas in it and see if the old brute will run. Thanks!

Yours pics are not coming up. Just drag your photos to your computer's desktop, then load them onto your post by using the "Upload a File" button.

Here is the blowup of your starter, if your model number is correct. You may have too much lube, as the toothed ring
may be what causes the pawl to kick out due to friction of the toothed ring. Rinse the mechanism out with some rubbing alchohol, and reinstall. As the alchohol dries off, the starter may start behaving better.
starter.png

Yours pics are not coming up. Just drag your photos to your computer's desktop, then load them onto your post by using the "Upload a File" button.

Here is the blowup of your starter, if your model number is correct. You may have too much lube, as the toothed ring
may be what causes the pawl to kick out due to friction of the toothed ring. Rinse the mechanism out with some rubbing alchohol, and reinstall. As the alchohol dries off, the starter may start behaving better.
View attachment 532755

Thanks, I think they're fixed now. I'll take it all back apart in a while and see what happens.

Cleaned it all up. Still doesn't want to catch. Think someone who's got one will have to chime in. Everything in the starter mechanism is free and works smooth. Looks to be in good working order, but the starter pawl doesn't seem to want to fling out and catch and I don't know what to do to fix that. Doesn't seem to be any adjustment.

Look like this?
90a8bfe0988e248f9c24c1a5344a5007.jpg

Actually it does not look like that one. However it seems to be working consistently now. After I pulled it 50-100 times it seems to be doing fine. I think it was more due to the fact that it has some wiggle room when tightening down. I just tried a few different spots. Then also I wasn't trying to pull it hard. Once I set it on the ground and started "pulling it like I meant it" worked every time. If I find a pic I'll post it up. Or if I end up having to pull it back off to work on the ignition. Currently I want to leave it, if it's working BUT it hasn't started yet, so either the carb is gummed up or ignition isn't firing.

Did you try rinsing with alcohol? It usually helps because it rinses off all of the lube and dries clean, and if your starter is the one I am thinking about, it needs some friction to kick the pawl out.
Carb spray would work good too.

Did you try rinsing with alcohol? It usually helps because it rinses off all of the lube and dries clean, and if your starter is the one I am thinking about, it needs some friction to kick the pawl out.
Carb spray would work good too.

I used brake cleaner. It's working now, thanks. Just gotta get it running now

Latest posts

Back