Sears saw to Poulan model

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Michael Pomeroy

Reaction score
I am newly registered, but have been reading lots of good info here for a few weeks now. Rebuilding a couple of older saws, but looking for some help. I have an older Sears saw that I believe is a Poulan but trying to determine what Poulan saw it is based on. The info on the Sears saw says "Sears Best 2.5 inch turbo" and has a model number of 358.356241
It has actually been a really good running saw for me for many, many years. The fuel lines finally cracked and started leaking. So I took it upon my self to tear it completely down and go though it. Clean it up and make and adjustments or repairs needed. So far the fuel lines have been the only real issues. I plan to rebuild the carb, do a little bit of a muffler mod and get her running again.
What I am really looking for is the Poulan saw it is based off of. The saw does not have a chain brake and I see that Poulan had a retrofit kit for some of their saws to retrofit them with a chain brake. I think it involved a new side panel brake/clutch and brake handle. The saws I saw this retrofit kit for looked very much like my Sears saw and wondered if that kit would fit.
Other than that, I am finishing up a complete rebuild of a Stihl 034 AV, NOS piston and rings, general clean up and carb rebuild. The case had to be split as the gasket was leaking oil everywhere. Have not fired it up yet, but seems to hold pressure fine after putting the case back together and compression is good. I suspect it will run better that when I tore it down.
Anyway anyone with any ideas on what Poulan, that info would be much appreciated.

Back