Seasoning/breaking in a new stove

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Started the first break-in fire this evening. Didn't get a stink or smoke or anything at all.

Too short tonight. This is my first stove with a glass door. I'm really looking forward to loading this thing up and enjoying the view and the heat. I'm impressed that it didn't take much at all to get the stove warmed up. Granted, the house is in the 70s right now, but I'm looking forward to getting a thermometer on it and in the flue and seeing how quickly it warms up and throws the heat.

Thanks for the tips and suggestions.

BEAUTIFUL stove! I've always loved the look of the soapstone stoves. The large glass is a treat to watch for sure!

I installed a Quadrafire 3100 Millenium yesterday (it wasn't new... I got it free from my Mom's house when she sold it and couldn't take it along to a condo) It was cool overnight here so I started a fire yesterday and today just to try it out and to burn the smell off the new pipes. They sure did stink for a while! This stove also had a large glass window and it's great to watch!

Good lookin stove. My sister, bother-in-law have two, large and small and love them.

I've broke-in a few, Vermont, Waterford, Jotul. Just like you, I built 3 or 4 small fires, then started using like needed. No problems.

Cambium, you are a very lucky dude!

:cheers:

I burned another small fire this morning and I think I'll do the third one this evening, or do you think two is good to start and then once the burning season is here, do that last small fire before getting into regular burn cycle?

I've been burning in a hearthstone heritage for the last few years. Follow the manual exactly and don't skip a break-in fire. Your penalty could be broken stones and they aren't exactly easy to replace.

Each year, you'll need to do it again. I just did my first break in fire of the season last night.

Thing about these stoves is you can't wait until it gets hot and then shut it off. The stone stove doesn't respond quickly to draft setting changes. Everything is slow, a major flywheel effect with the large amount of thermal mass. So this means that you should only put small amounts of wood in there to do the break in fires and leave teh draft wide open.

You will like this stove. Us stoners know something that the steel stove guys don't.

I've been burning in a hearthstone heritage for the last few years. Follow the manual exactly and don't skip a break-in fire. Your penalty could be broken stones and they aren't exactly easy to replace.

Each year, you'll need to do it again. I just did my first break in fire of the season last night.

Thing about these stoves is you can't wait until it gets hot and then shut it off. The stone stove doesn't respond quickly to draft setting changes. Everything is slow, a major flywheel effect with the large amount of thermal mass. So this means that you should only put small amounts of wood in there to do the break in fires and leave teh draft wide open.

You will like this stove. Us stoners know something that the steel stove guys don't.

I did two small fires with just kindling and the stones got to the point where they were just getting uncomfortable to leave my hand on the stones.

I called the dealer today for a couple things and was told if I don't smell paint cooking or "the odor," the stove needs some more heat. I figure three small fires and then I'll start increasing the size of the fires as the weather starts to cool down and slowly increase the intensity.

I'm reading about the top down fire; I've never heard of it before. It looks interesting. Once the bottom layer is burning, is it any different than a traditional fire? Other than basically building the complete initial fuel source and not needing to touch it for a while, what's different about it?

As the fire burns from the top down, you will develop a layer of hot coals on the top of the fuel source, which will help to burn the gases that rise from the wood. In theory, this should help extend burn time and gain efficiency. To be honest, I'm not sure if that really happens. I've used top down fires, but not often, as my fires rarely go out.

Top down fires can be used in any fire situation, from camp fires to furnaces.

BTW - Nice looking stove.

As the fire burns from the top down, you will develop a layer of hot coals on the top of the fuel source, which will help to burn the gases that rise from the wood. In theory, this should help extend burn time and gain efficiency. To be honest, I'm not sure if that really happens. I've used top down fires, but not often, as my fires rarely go out.

Top down fires can be used in any fire situation, from camp fires to furnaces.

BTW - Nice looking stove.

Thanks. I can see how if you rake the coals, scoop the ashes, reload the stove and then shovel the coals on top of the new load of wood, it's a top down burn on the reload and in theory, it should work the same way I guess.

USMC0802, Beautiful stove, I had a Mansfield (sold with former house), and now have a Heritage. Going into my 3d season with it. Stove paid for itself in the first year. Sounds like you bought from a good dealer who knows what they are talking about. I season mine each year just like you are doing. Keep a close eye on the cast iron frame as mine developed a small crack in my first season. It was on the top left framework, above the side load door. Did not effect the functionality of the stove, but Hearthstone (and the dealer) made good on the considerable costs to repair and rebuild the stove. Enjoy!

Stopped by the dealer today to pick up a thermometer and get an idea of how long/warm I need to burn the stove and since it was cool and windy this evening, I put a few chunks in a bit before 10 and it's still got some orange coals in there. Surface temp hit all but 300*. These "chunks" are pieces I but off of splits that were too long to fit in the stove. If I'm getting 300* surface temps on a few of there are still coals in there and it's pushing 2.5 hours, I don't think I'll have a problem getting all night burns. It will be really nice to not get out of bed to refill the stove at least once to barely have coals in the morning to restart like I did with the old stove.

..If I'm getting 300* surface temps on a few of there are still coals in there and it's pushing 2.5 hours, I don't think I'll have a problem getting all night burns. It will be really nice to not get out of bed to refill the stove at least once to barely have coals in the morning to restart like I did with the old stove.

Yeap...I hear ya...Not only did I hate waking up at 1am to throw another piece in there but I hated waking up in morning and spending 5-10minutes starting the thing up again... What I do like about that is seeing the smoke from the outside when I'm starting it. :)

Only difference I have with you is, my stove thermometer will read 600* at 10pm and the coals will just be warm in morning. :( I got a small stove and I think thats the difference...Bigger stove = more coals = more heat = longer lasting heat

Started the first break-in fire this evening. Didn't get a stink or smoke or anything at all.

Everything ready:
DSCN4239.jpg

Kindling lit:
DSCN4242.jpg

Watching it burn a bit before closing the air control and letting it burn out.
DSCN4244.jpg

Too short tonight. This is my first stove with a glass door. I'm really looking forward to loading this thing up and enjoying the view and the heat. I'm impressed that it didn't take much at all to get the stove warmed up. Granted, the house is in the 70s right now, but I'm looking forward to getting a thermometer on it and in the flue and seeing how quickly it warms up and throws the heat.

Thanks for the tips and suggestions.

Very nice lookin' stove. You're going to really enjoy it come December and January.

Cleaned the chimney today, and seeing as it's overcast and gloomy, decided to season the stove as well. Won't be long now...

picture.php

Cleaned the chimney today, and seeing as it's overcast and gloomy, decided to season the stove as well. Won't be long now...

picture.php

Nice picture, reminds me of winter. It's always good to see a man who can hardly wait to start burnin'. I love my stoves and while we're a good 5+ degrees colder than tropical Connecticut, I'm not looking to start burning until mid October.

I'm excited to see how my stove performs, but I can wait to start burning my wood pile for as long as the weather will allow. I enjoy cutting, but if I don't have to burn my wood, that money in the bank stays in the bank longer.

One pretty stove...congrads, and neat hearth also.

But would you just leave the beast alone for awhile ? Cease the 'cumbayaa' . Control yourself Marine. :dizzy:

It'll give you plenty of time to "get to know her" later. :hmm3grin2orange:

One pretty stove...congrads, and neat hearth also.

But would you just leave the beast alone for awhile ? Cease the 'cumbayaa' . Control yourself Marine. :dizzy:

It'll give you plenty of time to "get to know her" later. :hmm3grin2orange:

My stove top and flue probe thermometers came in on Saturday and today. Time to put the drill in the flue.

Back