Seasoning wood in the shed

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

alderman

Addicted to ArboristSite
Reaction score
I am ahead on my firewood cutting by at least 5 years and recently fell into a deal where I can cut as much wood as I want.
For the first time I emptied out one of my wood sheds this Winter so rather than stacking wood outside I opted to put the wood directly from the cutting area into the shed.
The shed is open on three sides but gets no direct sunlight.
Will the wood dry enough this summer to be ready to burn this fall?
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1456592237.274579.jpg
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1456592366.567550.jpg

I would say probably not. I don't know how much wind you get blowing thru there, but wind & sun are important for timely drying, stacked off the ground with a piece of plastic just covering the top to keep the rain off. JMO.

It depends what you have in that shed. If it is easy stuff like ash, it should be ready. If it is some of the harder to season woods it will probably not be ready.

It depends what you have in that shed. If it is easy stuff like ash, it should be ready. If it is some of the harder to season woods it will probably not be ready.

I agree.

It doesn't somewhat depend on what type of wood stove is used, too. Modern high efficiency wood stoves like really dry wood and it's going to take two years most likely.

my woodshed is on the south side of the barn so it does get a fair bit of sun . there is always a breeze here , usually from the west , so it blows straight through the stacks .all the wood in there will be dry for next winter . its been such a mild winter that I probably wont need it till 2018 .

You say you are 5 years ahead. Why not try tthe stacking in the woodshed and if it doesn't work out, have one of your other piles covered toward this fall, so you can use it, if need be. I have an old 6 x 12 enclosed trailer that I stack wood in. I peeled the bottom open slightly and cut 3 small vents near the top on each side. Wood will dry enough in there from early spring till fall for my use.

You're losing a lot of woodshed space by maintain those big gaps between stacks because the wood went in wet. I would get mostly dry outside first, then stack tighter in the shed. Not sure what else you have going on though.

Latest posts

Back