Seeking Tips for moving a container on a flat bed....

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MOOSETRAX

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
Hey All, Am lookin to move a 20ft container in my dual axle equipment trailer (flat bed), but it has wheel wells. The width between them is only 6.5 ft. The container is 8 ft wide. Was thinking of adding 10x10 lumber in the bed to raiser the container above the wheel well. Is there any better option.? It does hv stake pockets on the sides. Appreciate any ideas.

Hey All, Am lookin to move a 20ft container in my dual axle equipment trailer (flat bed), but it has wheel wells. The width between them is only 6.5 ft. The container is 8 ft wide. Was thinking of adding 10x10 lumber in the bed to raiser the container above the wheel well. Is there any better option.? It does hv stake pockets on the sides. Appreciate any ideas.
consider overall height before you get all excited...
and that containers while not heavy, are heavier then you might expect...
Depending on how tough your fenders are you might also have trouble getting the container off, nevermind on...
Anyway, assuming you've covered all the other bases, cribbing is fairly normal for moving stuff, i.e. stacks of 2x4's preferably nailed together, will be cheaper then a 10x10, and likely more stable as you can make it as wide as you feel necessary.
Or... rent a flat top trailer and stop worrying about it

Just pay the folks that move them to do it. The last 40ft container cost me $300 to haul and they put it where right where it goes.
Thanks for the tips, Wld love to use the professional but where am taking doesnt have enough road width nor firm road that these heavy axle tractors need. Its a heavily treed lot. Even the dump triaxle trucks refused last time when i called them lol. I am better off to do my transport. I am cutting the 40ft in to half & transporting 1 piece at a time.

Thanks for the tips, Wld love to use the professional but where am taking doesnt have enough road width nor firm road that these heavy axle tractors need. Its a heavily treed lot. Even the dump triaxle trucks refused last time when i called them lol. I am better off to do my transport. I am cutting the 40ft in to half & transporting 1 piece at a time.
Wow, you are cutting a 40 ft in half? That is a major undertaking.

What about tugging it up in one piece behind a big tractor or dozer?

Couple of big logs under it and skid it along.

Queso Crisco how bad is the road?

Dumb trucks will usually go just about anywhere, not so much pulling a heavy trailer, but an empty container isn't exactly heavy for a heavy use truck... Unless the road is especially ******...

When I had a 20' moved, I got a flatbed wrecker do it. The tilt bed made loading and unloading a breeze....especially for me. Later, I had to turn it 90 degrees because my plans changed...farm jack and a 20 ton bottle jack, several 3" pipes for rollers, 3x4" heavy angle iron for "tracks".
Had a friend that was given an 8'x12' walkin box. Had it moved like you did Composter. The wrecker company charged him $500. Put it right where he wanted it. $5000 walkin for $500. Not bad. :cool: OT

Latest posts

Back