Seized clutch the cause for starting and idling problems?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

darito

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
I have a Shindaiwa T230 grass trimmer that is extremely hard to start even though I replaced every single part you can imagine.

It took at least 20 pulls trying with different throttle and choke postions to get it started, at the beginning it can't idle without pulling the throttle (otherwise it dies). However, once it runs for like a minute it can idle without dying.

The head was turning at all times: during idle, revving up, and even when cranking the engine. So I took it apart and found this:

246241d1343248549-broken-clutch-spring-jpg

246242d1343248566-grip-material-faded-jpg

A broken clutch spring and faded/ worn out clutch shoes.

I ordered a new clutch assembly. Now, I'd like to know what you guys think. Would it be possible for a seized clutch to be the culprit of starting and idling problems? I'm asking if this is possible not only in this particular case, but in general with different 2-stroke outdoor equipment. My logic is that if the clutch is seized, then the engine has an extra resistance when cranking with the excess weight of having to turn the shaft at the initial stages of warming up.

Last edited:
yes, the clutch would make it hard to start. It's like trying to start a lawnmower while its parked in thick grass

So, I've replaced the clutch and after that it started right away. So the stuck clutch was causing starting and idling problems.

Latest posts

Back