Self-Unlock Snatch Block

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ArXane

Reaction score
Does anyone sell a sub $150 self unlocking snatch block? Or perhaps a kit to buy? I see that Labonville has one for $315, wanted to check if there are any other options. Thanks.

zUxXfl9YYsG4TD0FngOX1Sd3BopAiQpmJKQ-gL_xAacNKkSOTdksb0CV1Fu1EdE53o_mru-EiaGEG7HUDVzV9DbOpZB0tI4Z-JV4Nte7v_EFXT0d0mUVCICzLFPdx1tHpTvaMy6W1GBcjkbIbnP634Y8_UBZQpA37TxopPBa3Po18ijHLKV5IQRySiWmEZMXWMfwHsDAmQn54wGGPnAgRK0M9fhPDuCO7y_erOVc_vrKeYqTgG-8rfsNtdxhXVY7jf07rRuZ6qVVu5tcdymmTW3cdrdYUQ1OUQlYHUuVGiCYOog3eUDd7P4LeJdaW25HBIE2KaFRGFqmzaKZWdRElYk_7rkr3BQnOns0BMpZojLbuAxCqpN1PKD0uWPMpqiwU1k8gt7b5nk3QvnqdRQMHKkhxadza2u3NvqnEwaemOJShmjuApyZ_mCwkj_ilgAsxcCUI830RiTSVLK28tA8ROxe3IpUPX63pUZrl8TDddwsvLYYTb1r7x16rmnqA5x4GXNRylaBP6hUtmjVOeDPwN8U3XdvHC3L7jLhSlgQ0v6iNfDvWn2sWPoWRgar7h05tj8OcuWWgVNqjArMNrpYFXZG9DhHqegMCdH1d56STGBxPYhrhByCotdkq-4Sw9Nn__meLSuiVuD-KXF2fKTPnbrJ6JiaGrqDTx5i=w1663-h935-no

See , pics .

There was a thread on a build but that was before the hack.
It is a simple design, hunk of steel for the frame, a stud to hold a bearing, a sheave having one side cut back so the cable can slide off a spring loaded pivot arm that keeps the cable on the sheave until a choker popped it open and redirected the twitch .

For as often as I use one I wouldn't even need a bearing in it. Just a 3/4 grade 8 bolt locknut sheave and heavy piece of steel to mount it on. I only use it maybe twice a year for 20 minutes each time. I generally am able to get inline with the tree I am skidding but once in awhile the best I can do is 90* to the tree then a snatch block can save yer butt for sure.

A few years back I was looking and couldn't find anything. I use 3/4 and 7/8 Bull line for skidding logs out of the woods. I finally broke down and started watching ebay. In a couple days one popped up and I got it for $12. It also came with a heavy clevis. Back in the 70's, we were removing a big tree in a back yard. Out front the phone company was running big phone cable. Our climber was on the ground taking a smoke break. He walked over and asked the phone crew if we could borrow one of their big aluminum ones. He came back laughing and handed Dad the snatch block and said, "you owe me $100". Dad grabbed his wallet and our climber started laughing harder. He said put your wallet away. The guy was out of smokes. He GAVE it to me for half a pack! It's hard to find a new one cheap, but they pop up in the strangest places, cheap, Joe.

Could I make a sheave out of say a 1/2" disc and a 3/16" larger disc welded on the each side? Hmmmm?
I have a nice Warn snatch block in my Jeep and you can buy a 10K one at TSC for 31 dollars (I bought one to cut up for my logging winch), they aren't self releasing but would get you out of a bind once in a while.

Sorry, was away from a computer for a few days. I have a bucket of blocks already but the self-unlatching would sure be nice. I agree that making one shouldn't be that hard. Im going to look into it a little more. Making the sheave should be fairly straight forward.

Check out this
Found that shortly after I posted. Im in contact with a company to build me the sheave. Sheave will still be $100 + shipping, but thats still cheaper then buying one new. Plus I like to make my own things when I can.

Latest posts

Back