Selling firewood to campgrounds?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

miller1

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
Does anyody sell firewood to campgrounds or put up flyers at campgrounds, i live close to a few campgrounds and thought about seeing if they would let me put up flyers with my number on it to sell firewood, or if they would buy a quantity from me and they could mark it up whatever they wanted to. what seems to work the best? i could also just bundle it up and sell it out of my front yard. i thought maybe i would do better at that than trying to sell bulk firewood for home heating, bigger profit for campfire wood. I have 3 years worth of oak cut now and have a bunch more i can get.

Does anyody sell firewood to campgrounds or put up flyers at campgrounds, i live close to a few campgrounds and thought about seeing if they would let me put up flyers with my number on it to sell firewood, or if they would buy a quantity from me and they could mark it up whatever they wanted to. what seems to work the best? i could also just bundle it up and sell it out of my front yard. i thought maybe i would do better at that than trying to sell bulk firewood for home heating, bigger profit for campfire wood. I have 3 years worth of oak cut now and have a bunch more i can get.

I would try to see if you can sell it directly to the campgrounds. I dont like the idea of bundling and selling it in your front yard. Once people know its there, when they stop and nobody is around, your firewood is gonna turn up missing.

You may want to see if they will even allow your firewood into the park or site. Alot of campgrounds, parks and such will not allow outside wood being brought in because of desiese or bugs in the wood that would be harmfull to the tree's that are already their.

The campgrounds nearest to me are youth summer camps. No that's a negatory.

But there are a lot of cabins and family-owned waterfront camps in my area, which is blessed with an abundance of lakes and ponds.

Advertising's just a flyer at a few convenience marts with scissor cuts at the bottom - tearaways with my name and number, like what local teenagers do to advertise babysitting or lawnmowing.

I don't mess with bundles. I tell em it's $20 for what you'd normally get in 5 bundles. Delivered for a $5 fee within a 20 minute drive from home.

Just how close are you to the campground? When I said, close I was thinking of my situation. About 3/4 mile from a campground on a gravel road is where my wood is cut, stacked and stored.... Bundles here wouldnt last long if I wasnt home...Once the campers found out where the wood was, they even raided the stack.

I made good money selling firewood at campgrounds,but I did things a little different.
Every evening I would load a bunch in the pickup and drive through the campgrounds.When a camper wanted wood, he would signal and I would pull over.ten bucks got you as much wood as I could carry to their site.After making the rounds,I would drive through one more time and catch all the folks who missed me the first time and then stop at the little store on the way out.Payed the owner 20 percent of what ever was in my pocket and we were both happy for years.Then he got greedy and wanted 40 percent.I dropped it after that.It was good money, a little more than 3 times what i sold it for by the cord,but I got a little annoyed with the guy.he was making fifty bucks a day for doing nothing, and that wasnt good enough for him.

Now he buys the wood in bundles and sells them at his store.has to account for the sale,pay the taxes, etc and has to deal with a delivery guy who shows up when he wants to_Often well after the stack is gone in front of the store for a few days.

Every evening I would load a bunch in the pickup and drive through the campgrounds.

Like this, but with firewood?

ice_cream_truck.jpeg

Just how close are you to the campground? When I said, close I was thinking of my situation. About 3/4 mile from a campground on a gravel road is where my wood is cut, stacked and stored.... Bundles here wouldnt last long if I wasnt home...Once the campers found out where the wood was, they even raided the stack.

I live 1 1/2 miles from 1 and 3 - 4 miles from a couple others, i also live on a fairly busy road, i would pull a small trailer down to the road with my golf cart and bring it back up at night. thats the way we sell some veggies in the summer.

Things may have changed

I sold wood to a couple campgrounds years ago. The campground owners would purchase by the pickup load and have it stacked by their "general store". The issue was they only wanted to pay 1/2 the going rate as they were reselling. Since I don't work to lose money, I found it was easier and more profitable to sit on the wood through the summer and sell it in the winter.

Now days junk wood like pine, hemlock, and poplar are given to my neighbor to feed his outside boiler during the summer.

Take Care

Around here it goes out for bid and nobody else can sell inside the campground. You have a contract for the camping year.

Around here it goes out for bid and nobody else can sell inside the campground. You have a contract for the camping year.

Its the same around here now if its a state run park.Private owned campgrounds are still up to the owners on how firewood is sold.

Latest posts

Back