Selling unseasoned wood

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

groundup

ArboristSite Guru
Reaction score
To you sellers out there how many of you sell green wood this time of the year to be burned next year and how much of a discount?

I normally sell for $180 a cord delivered and sell green for $160. I figure since I dont have to stack it and then reload it in the truck it's worth saving $20.

BTW $180 is about the going rate in my area for seasoned split.

In the olden days we sold green wood delivered, and seasoned off the farm u haul. We never handled it twice. Sixty dollars a cord either way.

I wouldn't sell it any cheaper than 160 if 180 is the going rate for seasoned. All I have right now is green wood and will only discount for 1.5 cord orders or more. I know i can sell every stick that I cut in the next few months by labor day - so why give it away ?

I'll normally only do green sales on a pre-arranged basis for a future cutting or supply source taken directly to the buyer. That way I'm not hauling it twice or unnecessarily stacking, and can sometimes choose a source that is closer to the buyer. I've gone anywhere from a third to 25% lower on those.

I wouldn't give much of a discount on wood that is already home/split and only needed to be stacked , unless for some reason I was completely out of space. At that point almost all the costs/labor are already into the equation. Still has to be loaded anyway.

I find it amusing that buyers occasionally act like one is selling tomatoes and that wood needs to sold before it spoils....

I do not sell green wood, and will not discount it for being green. Kind of like buying corn before it is grown.

Those that want to sell me green wood, I offer half of seasoned wood price. My money, my time. Strangely I don't get too many takers on that deal...;)

I do not sell green wood, and will not discount it for being green. Kind of like buying corn before it is grown.

Those that want to sell me green wood, I offer half of seasoned wood price. My money, my time. Strangely I don't get too many takers on that deal...;)

More like selling green bananas or certain types of wine. Green firewood is a finished product that will get better in time.

What are they getting up by you for it?

green, delivered, $165 all you can cut and split.
truely seasoned, between $220 and $185 depending on the Zip code you deliver too.

to me its NOT all the same. I'll get more for white oak or hickory( shagbark-when you can get it)
or osage/mulberry. I'll ask if they want cherry and ash for less and they pretty much say "no" give me the good stuff. Lots of folks around here know hardwood is like wine...needs to season. they just dont know until its in the fireplace...that what they bought, is not.

Hiss off 'brotha !!! ;)

the problem around these parts is that lots of guys sell hardwoods that were cut in rounds in spring/summer season then split it and deliver in the fall. thats not seasoned to me. It's got to be split and stacked or piled of some sort for a year. Some Cherry and Ash you can get away with 6 months but to me its really not "seasoned" unless it's split for 4 seasons-1 year.

Call me crazy..

the problem around these parts is that lots of guys sell hardwoods that were cut in rounds in spring/summer season then split it and deliver in the fall. thats not seasoned to me. It's got to be split and stacked or piled of some sort for a year. Some Cherry and Ash you can get away with 6 months but to me its really not "seasoned" unless it's split for 4 seasons-1 year.

Call me crazy..

No you are right 6- 12 months will do it.

Call me crazy..

You're preaching to the choir

green, delivered, $165 all you can cut and split.
truely seasoned, between $220 and $185 depending on the Zip code you deliver too.

to me its NOT all the same. I'll get more for white oak or hickory( shagbark-when you can get it)
or osage/mulberry. I'll ask if they want cherry and ash for less and they pretty much say "no" give me the good stuff. Lots of folks around here know hardwood is like wine...needs to season. they just dont know until its in the fireplace...that what they bought, is not.

Hiss off 'brotha !!! ;)

Where I am in south Jersey, you will get the most for cherry...upwards of $225 a cord where oak hovers in the $180-200 range.

Latest posts

Back