Semi-skip chain angle

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

twochains

Addicted to ArboristSite
Reaction score
Hey, I just received my "long bar" lol! I ordered it with 2 semi-skip chains, they are Oregon brand. I was checking them out and noticed what a strange angle they are sharpened in. The chains are square chisel and sharpened w/o hardly any angle at all...is this the angle I am supposed to sharpen them at?? Pardon my ignorance, but to me they don't look like they would cut butter. Is this angle so the chains aren't too grabby? Thanks in advance for any help on this. Cheers!

Can't wait to sink this bar in a good tree!! :D

edit...Oh crap....I should have got a round ground!!!! That's what I get for buying stuff I don't know what the heck they are talking about. What do I sharpen these with?? A flat file?? DANG!

Last edited:
A double bevel file is what you need to file it square. You can round file it to whatever you're used to. As far as I know no one makes semi skip in round ground. The angles are alright but I sharpen all the new chain if I have time to. It will cut a little faster than off the roll round.

Man I feel like I screwd up a bit...oh well live and learn I guess. So "IF" I can find a file here in the sticks would it be better to keep it square ground or should I just push a round through it and make it like I want? Which cuts better?

what you have is chain sharpened for using as a chainsaw mill

Save them or trade them or file 'em. Teeth sharpened with little or no angle don't cut as wide a kerf.

Square is faster cutting and smoother. You're falling timber right? If you are I would use it and try to learn to file it. If you're bucking on a landing then you're probably not going to like it.

If you search in the chainsaw forum there's lots of threads on square filing. They can help you out. More than likely you'll have to order files from somewhere not local unless they do sell a lot of square ground chain.

Bailey's woodlandprp30scs

A double bevel file is what you need to file it square. You can round file it to whatever you're used to. As far as I know no one makes semi skip in round ground. The angles are alright but I sharpen all the new chain if I have time to. It will cut a little faster than off the roll round.

Bailey's - WoodlandPro 30SCS Chainsaw Chain

Send it back and trade it for jgx. Great "long bar" falling chain. You already have the tools and skills to sharpen it

Square is faster cutting and smoother. You're falling timber right? If you are I would use it and try to learn to file it. If you're bucking on a landing then you're probably not going to like it.

If you search in the chainsaw forum there's lots of threads on square filing. They can help you out. More than likely you'll have to order files from somewhere not local unless they do sell a lot of square ground chain.

Yes, I am falling. I wouldn't buck at a landing for the world in this mud! :msp_biggrin: And I also refuse to sharpen the chains used at the landing! :msp_w00t:

I run square for firewood but I guess I'm in the minority on that. Most say it's not worth the trouble but it's faster, smoother, and last just as long as that little point on round chisel.

Here's a video of square filing so you get the idea of it.

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/JZMuqKxwc60?list=UUyphpSr9YxmRcLFLuGwNQBg" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

IF I'm remembering correctly square ground has less of an angle than does most round. Run it as is and if you don't like the square grind file it round. You can also add a lil more angle in there if desired. I'm sure some of the fallers like Bob or Sam can shed much more light on the matter. In the meantime here is sharpening info from a prominent northwest saw shop. Hopefully I'm not violating the non vendor thing but it's really info not saying you should buy from them. Sorry in advance if I violated policy Bob. :bowdown:

Chisel chain sharpening
Square Ground Chisel Angles

Chisel chain Q & A
Square Chisel Chain Q & A

How To Sharpen Square Chisel Chain With A File
How To File Square Chisel Chain

Gullet Maintenance On Square Chisel Saw Chain
Gullet Maintenance On Pro Saw Chain

Hope this helps,

Wes

Save them or trade them or file 'em. Teeth sharpened with little or no angle don't cut as wide a kerf.

How do you figure that? The top point of the tooth is going to be in the same place relative to the centreline of the bar regardless of the angle it is filed at

The CK has become my favorite chain. A few less cutters to maintain, and just as smooth as CL on the bar lengths I run. Chisel filing isn't near as bad as some people make it out to be, it just takes a little time and patience to build the muscle memory for the angles you're after. Once you get it down, it files just as quick as round chain. There's just the added step of keeping up on gullets, which isn't really a big deal (IF you keep up on it).

A grinder is nice, but not required. I hand chisel filed for a couple years before I got lazy and bought a grinder.

Stihl sells a 3-corner file that really does a nice job, for me the 3-corner file was easier to learn on.

Not much good as landing chain, but for falling, once you've run it, round chain will make you want to slit your wrists.

Hope everyone's well - Sam

The chisel chain is good stuff, I ran round for years until I bought my 461 and had em throw a full skip chisel on it, no looking back now...

The video from above is good stuff, just remember to go through and take out the valleys/gullets about evertime you touch up the riders.

As for milling chains, they are similar except that milling chains have funny looking riders and an almost straight tooth profile, chisel still has like a 15 deg angle to it...

Yeah, my bad. Thought he was talking about top angle, not side.

I haven't tried square filed chain, yet. First off, didn't look as if it was worth the trouble, but I'll have to check it out.

I like the CK if I'm filing. If I'm going to be grinding then I prefer the stihl RSLHK. I would say I end up at almost a 30° top plate and somewhere between 1-5° on the side plate.

I like the CK if I'm filing. If I'm going to be grinding then I prefer the stihl RSLHK. I would say I end up at almost a 30° top plate and somewhere between 1-5° on the side plate.

Is it because the StIHL chain is harder? What angles do you dress your stone to?

The stihl chain is harder on files. I'll go and check the angles on the dresser here shortly. I need to get a video of grinding a few cutters up also.

The stihl chain is harder on files. I'll go and check the angles on the dresser here shortly. I need to get a video of grinding a few cutters up also.

My grinder doesn't have numbered increments on the dressing bars, rather just lines etched in. I have to measure them. Greystoke is one of the only folks I've heard of with this kind of grinder.

I cut in almost 100% hardwood so my angles are probably quite a bit different. I would however like to get a good setup for white/red pine. I'm sure they would be similar to western softwoods.

Thanks

Latest posts

Back