Semi-skip chain angle

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Few pics, first grind, and first grind after removing the gullets.

Never mind, this piece of garbage droid won't allow me to "tap and drag" like I need to. I'd like to put this thing into an undercut and never see another...

If you're on tapatalk it works pretty good from the phone. I upload to photobucket a lot from my phone just for ease of doing it.

Them smart phones make me feel so dumb sometimes it ain't even funny.

a6ujenes.jpg

I'm trying to figure it out from the phone. If I upload to the forum and insert inline it does it this way. The other post was using tapatalk.

View attachment 287911

Few pics, first grind, and first grind after removing the gullets.

Never mind, this piece of garbage droid won't allow me to "tap and drag" like I need to. I'd like to put this thing into an undercut and never see another...

sounds like my communicator. i dont know about yours but i have a POS 9000, its awesome, not

Hey, just got in. Logged till 4 o'clock and then the boss came and got me to help pull a rear-end out of the big skidder...what a day!!!

I got to try my long bar setup....not at first but a "have to" type of deal. I had on my 20" and it jumped off and burnt a section of drive links absolutely off! So I grabbed my long bar and sunk it in a few trees. It did fine with the square filed chain but not great. I got frustrated with it and...well...the one chain is now a round filed :msp_biggrin:! It cut better with more angle.

mdavlee- I still have a new square ground in the box, do you think you could help me with it? Or I would buy a suggested chain from you if you have one that you would recommend.

056kid- I don;t know what a "stump jumper" is, but I am very type A about my stumps. I always try and leave a good stump so if anybody ever comes by judging a cutter by his stumps...I am in good shape. I felt like the square ground is very accurate and ultra smooth. The only thing I can say bad about it is it seemed slow in the tree and I was in constant fear of barber chairing. The tree would drop in the notch and here I was still trying to burn the hinge out before it split. I blame most of this to the degree of the cutting edge...just damn near straight across. I am more used to a standard flat top with the drags bordering on too short.

Also I would like to say that I should have taken the advice of Tramp Bushler when he suggested getting the 63 gauge. I got a 50 and now understand he was taking chain stretch into consideration along with experience. I could punch myself in the face!

Like the bar length though! I now understand about limbing while walking the tree with the longer bar. I did however cuss the length a bit in the underbrush and really tight areas. Now I just need to line out a chain that I am comfortable with, and one that is fast.

Guys...I tremendously appreciate all the help and info! Very nice people on this forum for sure! Thanks!

Last edited:
Two chains,
You may want to give yourself more time on the new set up.I was set on the round file too.I told my self too go thru the whole set up, half skip and square, vs round and full skip,so I here where your coming from.
I were all into instant gratification, but that don't work here. It really takes about two filings just to get the factory edge off.

I also changed from .050 to .063 onthose long bjars.
Jury is still out on what I like, but I'm giving it more than two tanks

All I have is full comp in .050". The semi skip is .063". If you want mail me the chain and I'll grind it and send it back. I'm on the other end of TN so it would be probably 2 days each way on it. If you want to try full comp on that length I can grind a chain for you tomorrow and get it in the mail Wednesday.

I will probably do a mix. I will send you this new chain and buy the full comp. My ol'lady is in the middle of a Call of Duty match :msp_rolleyes:...she handles the paypal deal. I will have to wait till 2moro and have her handle the transaction.

Two chains,
You may want to give yourself more time on the new set up.I was set on the round file too.I told my self too go thru the whole set up, half skip and square, vs round and full skip,so I here where your coming from.
I were all into instant gratification, but that don't work here. It really takes about two filings just to get the factory edge off.

I also changed from .050 to .063 onthose long bjars.
Jury is still out on what I like, but I'm giving it more than two tanks

I gave it 3 till I brought out the file. :msp_biggrin:

Hey, just got in. Logged till 4 o'clock and then the boss came and got me to help pull a rear-end out of the big skidder...what a day!!!

I got to try my long bar setup....not at first but a "have to" type of deal. I had on my 20" and it jumped off and burnt a section of drive links absolutely off! So I grabbed my long bar and sunk it in a few trees. It did fine with the square filed chain but not great. I got frustrated with it and...well...the one chain is now a round filed :msp_biggrin:! It cut better with more angle.

mdavlee- I still have a new square ground in the box, do you think you could help me with it? Or I would buy a suggested chain from you if you have one that you would recommend.

056kid- I don;t know what a "stump jumper" is, but I am very type A about my stumps. I always try and leave a good stump so if anybody ever comes by judging a cutter by his stumps...I am in good shape. I felt like the square ground is very accurate and ultra smooth. The only thing I can say bad about it is it seemed slow in the tree and I was in constant fear of barber chairing. The tree would drop in the notch and here I was still trying to burn the hinge out before it split. I blame most of this to the degree of the cutting edge...just damn near straight across. I am more used to a standard flat top with the drags bordering on too short.

Also I would like to say that I should have taken the advice of Tramp Bushler when he suggested getting the 63 gauge. I got a 50 and now understand he was taking chain stretch into consideration along with experience. I could punch myself in the face!

Like the bar length though! I now understand about limbing while walking the tree with the longer bar. I did however cuss the length a bit in the underbrush and really tight areas. Now I just need to line out a chain that I am comfortable with, and one that is fast.

Guys...I tremendously appreciate all the help and info! Very nice people on this forum for sure! Thanks!
Glad to hear you're happy with the new bar. Having watched your videos I'll say I'm not as good as you with a saw, but I still hate jumping from side to side to fall a tree. I applaud you being willing to learn and giving the square grind plenty of time, but in the end you got to use what you like. It may not seem like it on this thread, but there are plenty of us "roundies" out there, we're just too ashamed to admit we happily use what comes out of the cardboard box!

Hey I'll admit it. I run round ground on my small saw which is used for firewood and thinning and gets the crap beat out of it lol and got some on my 36 just cuz I knew I could sharpen it and didn't want to screw up a long chain like that.

I will probably do a mix. I will send you this new chain and buy the full comp. My ol'lady is in the middle of a Call of Duty match :msp_rolleyes:...she handles the paypal deal. I will have to wait till 2moro and have her handle the transaction.

Sounds good.

Back