septic tank

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hdantel

Reaction score
I have Maple trees to plant and would like to know what the safe distance would be to plan them from my septic tank??

Sugar maple I would not be concerned with up here, baybe 200 ft?

Does that grow well in Fla?

hdantel, forgot to ask where you are geographicly, also.

Im beginning to think that those concrete septic tanks need steel Tops in stead of concrete ones
Because about the 2nd question i ask a customer is are you on sewer or septic tank,If i get the sewer answer i dont worry about the loader/Bucket truck ect. I was in a Sewer Customers yard last week
and i have my bucket and loader in his backyard
this is when he advises me That my Bucket truck is parked on a septic tank that was used until the connected the sewer system Grrrrrr.I guess i now have a new Subquestion to my question 2 Did you ever have a Septic tank??????

Later,
David

Why does it matter if there is a septic tank? You mean 'cus you might hit the vent?

I've heard the old systems had clay tile in the leach field which could be damaged by a falling tree, but I've never actually heard of anyone doing it. After all they are about 6 feet or more down.

Ive seen at least 2 trucks break the lids on old septic tanks,I drive over mine at home all the time but an older one bothers me.

I've broken three. Backed the chip truck over one, needed a tow truck to get winched out. Bombed out oak logs onto another one. Customer said, "The yard's all weeds and sand anyway. Just drop them. You can't hurt anything."
Put my outrigger down on the third one. It caved in while I was at full side extension over the roof.

I'd be mostly concerned about the older systems. New Title 5 regulations, at least where I am, generally require a good amound of sand and fill over the concrete tank. I just built a new house and we have at least 12" of sand and then I put 12" of top soil on top of that. I'd be most concerned about the pipe running from the house to the tank (depending on the elevation) and the pipes for the leachfield.

I have messed up 2 septic systems.
1) guy told me it was ok to back over lawn to deliver 2 yards of soil with my pickup truck. WHAM! rear drivers side tire through the top.
2) doin a clearing / lawn extension job. had a 9K lb excavator there pullin stumps and moving vines around. Guy told me that the septic system was way over there and I didn't have to worry. Start diggin this one descent size cherry stump, start hittin these rocks, then I start to smell something, then I start to see a fluid coming out of the ground. Not my fault so I just burried it and told the customer.
3?) drove over a customer's leach fields to pull some trees over and got my ear chewed off for that. No damage as far as I know though.

Actually, the bucket only dropped about two or three feet and it went slowly. I thought something was wrong with the controls like a stuck lever or something. About a second later, the smell hit me and I knew what it was even though I couldn't see it. It was in the middle of their dirt driveway right in front of the garage. The owner said it was designed to be driven on but I guess the concentrated weight of the outrigger was too much in one spot. She was cool about it. She got it fixed, said it was her own fault for not warning me it was there. She was and still is a regular customer.

Latest posts

Back