Setting metering lever on Zama C3M off an 044

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

72thing

Parts breaker
Reaction score
Hello all, I rebuilt a Zama C3M carb off an 044 for my friend. When I went to set the metering lever height, I was planning on setting it about flush with the carb body like I'm used to doing. But according to Zama it is supposed to be .039"-.051" below the body.
This is straight from Zama:

Adjusting the metering lever. A Zama Z gauge is designed to adjust all models. Hold the gauge
against the body as shown using the proper side designated for the model you are adjusting. The
end of the metering lever should touch the gauge. A strait edge can also be used as described
below.
(A) If metering lever is as in Fig. a, place a straight edge or Zama Z gauge across the carburetor
body.
The free end of the metering lever should be 0 to 0.3 mm - 0 to 0.012" below the straight edge.
(B) If the metering lever is as Fig. b the free end of the metering lever should be flush with the
cavity floor. (1.7mm to 2.0 mm - 0.067" to 0.078" below the metering gasket flange of
carburetor body).

Note: For C3 type measurement in Fig. a should be 0.039" - 0.051".

Zama illustration.png

Figure A is on the left
I was able to set it to about .035" or so, but it threw me off being set that low. But it ran great afterwards and he called me today and said it was still running great.

My confusion is this: by using the Zama "Z" gauge, and going by the numbers stamped on it, then you're only using the straight edge side of the tool. So why would they have you use that side if you have to bend the tang on the metering lever down another .040" ? It doesn't make sense to me. Anybody have any insight on this? In other words, the tool seems worthless to me if you can't simply go by the numbers stamped on the tool, and it would lead some people (like myself) to confusion if they didn't happen to go to Zama's website and read the above information. Am I missing something, or just having a brain fart?

Thanks

I know this is an old thread, but anyone have any info on this? Messing with a Zama C3A carb on an 036. Been setting it flush, because I thought that was right. Saw doesn't run all that well. Tune is erratic. I'm leary about going this low however (0.039-0.051"). Anyone have any idea if this is correct?

I know this is an old thread, but anyone have any info on this? Messing with a Zama C3A carb on an 036. Been setting it flush, because I thought that was right. Saw doesn't run all that well. Tune is erratic. I'm leary about going this low however (0.039-0.051"). Anyone have any idea if this is correct?
C3A should be set flush. C1, C1S, c2 and C2S should be recessed. I don’t think the metering lever height is your issue.

Latest posts

Back