Setting up an MS271 to use a rim sprocket

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

nomad_archer

Addicted to ArboristSite
Reaction score
So in another thread the the topic came up of converting and MS271 from using an spur drive sprocket to use a rim sprocket setup in for .325 pitch chain. Is this something that is possible? Are there any benefits to going to a rim sprocket setup as opposed to using the spur drive sprocket that came on the saw? Is this something that I should just leave alone?

Thanks,
n_a

I'm sure it can be done and I would think the rim/drum set-up from a 261 would be the ticket.

The advantage to a rim/drum set-up is that rims wear out much more often than drums and are much cheaper to replace than replacing the spur drum set-up. You can also play with gearing by changing the number of pins on the rim (useful for using short bars on big saw to increase chain speed).

I don't know about specific fitment, but I wouldn't worry about it until you wear out the spur sprocket on it. If you don't cut every day, you may be surprised by how long these last. If it comes time for replacement, then I would recommend going to the rim set up as the cost isn't that different. There are quite a few different parts for Stihl saws, so make sure you buy one that fits. (the rims have a lot of commonality but the drums vary by model of saw.)

From a different thread I started on a different topic.

Okay, this is an interesting one. In mediaCAT it shows a common spur drive sprocket for the 271 & 261, but shows no rim sprocket for the 271. There is a rim sprocket for the 261 obviously as that's what comes factory and shows up in mediaCAT. Does anyone know any reason the rim sprocket for the 261 would NOT be compatible on the 271 when they share a spur drive part number???

If they are compatible as I suspect, your part number for the .325-7T rim sprocket kit is 1141 007 1002.

My current sprocket is starting to show some wear. It is not bad by any means but I just started thinking about picking up a replacement.

I have a call into my dealer about this. Hopefully will have an answer tomorrow. I'll post it up if there is any useful info.

From what I understand is that manufactureres recomend 4 chains to a sprocket/spur. So after 4 chains have been ground away then they recomend replacing the sproket. I have never done this and as far as the remarks here that I can recollect no one does it here either. Usually I recall 6-8 chains mentioned before replacement is due.
That is a lot of wood before you will need any replacement. The main reasonig I see behind the critique of the two types is that everyone here on AS believe that if you don't have/use pro equipment you are not cutting wood! Either type will serve you and your saw well till the day it dies and neither will in any way prolong it's life!

If it looks like this then it's still ok
worn-drive-sprocket.jpg

If it looks like this then your already pretty late.... :D

Poulan2000WornSprocket.jpg

I am a huge fan of rim sprockets vs spur, as they wear far more evenly and spurs tend to get lopsided. They are also better on chain drive links. As nmurph says above you can replace rims for far cheaper than spur sprockets, and swap them out for different sizes (bigger rims, higher chain speed), or even different chain types (say, from .325 to 3/8 std.). I changed over my 310 saws to 036 rim drives (the smaller non-360 ones) and I swapped to Picco rim drives on my 025 and 211 saws. They work that much better for me and I like to swap rims with different length bars on my saws (easy way to change torque and chain speed).

The 271 has the same clutch as a 261, so a rim drive kit from a 261 will fit. Stihl PN: 1141 007 1002 (w/ a .325 rim).

I confirmed with a member that has access to that info on here as well. Now I need to get to the dealer when my wood supply slows down. I have been cutting almost every day for the last two weeks. Got to get the wood while the getting is good.

How's that 271 working out for you? I spoke to my dealer today about getting one set up the way I want it, rim sprocket and all, so that it'll all be covered under the 2 year extended warranty. I'm considering replacing my old 029 Super with the MS271. Are you running the original .325 pitch? I want to go to a 3/8" for commonality of parts.

The MS271 is working out pretty good for me as long as I keep a sharp chain on it. I run the .325 pitch chain and it does a good job with it. With a 16" bar it really rips with a 20" bar I need to be a bit more patient as that is the max bar size for the saw but it will still do an acceptable job. I don't expect it to win any speed competitions with the 20" bar. I have been running the 16" bar for the majority of firewood cutting I have done recently since it is easier to keep out of the dirt. If I had more of a budget and a little more experience and when I purchased the 271 I would have gotten the 291 but most likely the 261 especially now that it is M-tronic. The 271 is a good little saw as long as you keep your chains sharp. I still like the saw and it fit the budget well when I purchased it and it should last me a long long time. I would have gotten a pro saw if I had known: 1. how much I would love running chainsaws and 2. how much time I would spend behind the saw cutting firewood. However I don't spend as much time as many on here behind a saw but I still spend significant time behind the saw. Whatever you do though get the HD2 air filter is is much better than the stock filter.

When I bought my 271, I got it for 60 dollars less than the 291. I really liked that saw with the 18 inch setup, until I dropped it out of the bucket. Seemed to outcut my old 290, even with less displacement. I think you can also get the 261 metal clutch cover for around 35 bucks.

Unless money is a factor I would go with the 291 over the 271. I don't think there is a big $ diff. Same weight,more power.
The 291 is actually lighter with a slight advantage in power. If I hadn't just bought a 261 C-M, I'd probably go that route for the extra $50. I want this saw more for around the property than primary firewood cutting, kinda use it to do lighter duty stuff and protect my pro saws for serious stuff.

When I bought my 271, I got it for 60 dollars less than the 291. I really liked that saw with the 18 inch setup, until I dropped it out of the bucket. Seemed to outcut my old 290, even with less displacement. I think you can also get the 261 metal clutch cover for around 35 bucks.
When I bought mine, the 291 was $60 more than the 271 also and the 261 was $60 more the 291. It was like climbing a ladder so as a firewood cutter I went with the 271 and have no complaints. However the 261cm looks real sweet!

The 291 is actually lighter with a slight advantage in power. If I hadn't just bought a 261 C-M, I'd probably go that route for the extra $50. I want this saw more for around the property than primary firewood cutting, kinda use it to do lighter duty stuff and protect my pro saws for serious stuff.
Strangely enough it is a little lighter...wonder how that works...

Back