Shaft seal delima

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

wstan101

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
Hi guys, and gals, I have a Mac 200 in the latter stages of restoration and am unable to locate the correct shaft seal. Others on this site have posted part numbers for SKF and Timken however the part numbers they provided are not for this saw. The seals mentioned are both for .0688 shaft size.
While the part number 50663 correctly cross's to these numbers, the shaft size does not match. The shaft isn't worn in the least and is 0.667.
Ant info on where to obtain seal for this saw would be greatly appreciated. Thank you in advance

Hi guys, and gals, I have a Mac 200 in the latter stages of restoration and am unable to locate the correct shaft seal. Others on this site have posted part numbers for SKF and Timken however the part numbers they provided are not for this saw. The seals mentioned are both for .0688 shaft size.
While the part number 50663 correctly cross's to these numbers, the shaft size does not match. The shaft isn't worn in the least and is 0.667.
Ant info on where to obtain seal for this saw would be greatly appreciated. Thank you in advance
Best bet is to take your measurements to a bearing and seal shop. They would be able to find you something that will fit.

@heimannm , should be able to help you

PTO side is 104128, crosses to an SKF 7417

FW side is 50663, crosses to an SKF 6763

I have both on hand if you can't find anything local.

Thank you for the prompt reply, but the shaft size 6763 calls for is 0.688. The flywheel side shaft on my Mac 200 is 0.667, with virtually undectable ware, this is .021 smaller. I double checked this number with two different electronic calipers.

I checked several crankshafts I have in the attic of the shop, as well as several different IPL's and everything agrees with the 0.668 shaft diameter so you are not mistaken there.

I also checked the actual I.D. of 50663/6763 and it measures about 0.635, plenty of interference for the 0.668 shaft diameter.

Looking at the SKF Seal Finder, 6763 is the only stock seal that comes close to working with the I.D. (0.668) and the O.D. (1.188).

The 100824/66016 flywheel side bearing is a 6203, many builders have used the SKF 6763 flywheel side seal (AKA 50663 and 57898) on front tank and top tank saws with success.

I guess you will have to trust those before you that 6763 is the best option you have available today.

Mark

I checked several crankshafts I have in the attic of the shop, as well as several different IPL's and everything agrees with the 0.668 shaft diameter so you are not mistaken there.

I also checked the actual I.D. of 50663/6763 and it measures about 0.635, plenty of interference for the 0.668 shaft diameter.

Looking at the SKF Seal Finder, 6763 is the only stock seal that comes close to working with the I.D. (0.668) and the O.D. (1.188).

The 100824/66016 flywheel side bearing is a 6203, many builders have used the SKF 6763 flywheel side seal (AKA 50663 and 57898) on front tank and top tank saws with success.

I guess you will have to trust those before you that 6763 is the best option you have available today.

Mark
Thank you so much for that,

Mark
Thank you so much for your time and info. Your measurements are quite accurate, however here is my delima. The CR/SKF seal 6763 is listed on both sites as
Shaft Diameter: 0.688 Inch / 17.475 Millimeter, this is obviously .021 over my actual shaft size. I don't really want to remove the old seal until I can get this straightened out, or just remove it and hope the 6763 will somehow shrink in size in transit, LOL!

I have used 6763 on many projects with good results. As I noted, the actual I.D. of the seal is around 0.635" so there is plenty of seal contact with the shaft.

Mark
Ok, thank you again Mark, I will go ahead and get that ordered. Have a great day.

Latest posts

Back