Shaft to shaft spline question

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

wdchuck

Addicted to ArboristSite
Reaction score
The rubber-like spline that is in between the coupler halves, is the center ring material meant to be removed or is it there for when needed and removed when it's an interference fit?

The spline center is like a cup on one side and flat on the other, but I'd like to hear from someone who has the facts please.

are you talking about a Love Joy coupler? can't you just slide the coupler down the shaft so there's no interference?

No do not remove It acts as a shock and compensates for minor misalignment I have heard it called a wear part. there are softerand harder spiders.

Well, leaving that center material intact and its thickness is 3/32 to 1/8" , the engine doesn't sit on the frame, it teeters about that same amount. The four engine bolts will take the engine to the frame but then that spline center seems to become more of a liability in my mind.

Good thing I used serviceable thread locker, but in this weather it probably hasn't set yet.

Futzed around with the pump shaft end of things until everything fit well, considering my abilities.

The engine was flat to the frame on three sides and just a hair from touching on the fourth, much better than previous the previous attempt.

It's probably not perfect but when watching it run with a bright light on it at different throttle levels the outer edge made a crisp line. I'll be keeping a close eye and feel from now on.

Thanks for the help guys.

The rubber-like spline that is in between the coupler halves, is the center ring material meant to be removed or is it there for when needed and removed when it's an interference fit?

The spline center is like a cup on one side and flat on the other, but I'd like to hear from someone who has the facts please.

no.

it's meant to give additional shock resistance to quick starts so that the spyder doesn't rip apart.

your mating shafts should not be touching each other. they should be apart the thickness of the rubber (or other type of material) spyder.

Latest posts

Back