"Sharpen cutters on one side first"

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
From the Oregon Chain tech guide:

Sharpen cutters on one side of the chain first. File
from the inside of each cutter to the outside. Then
turn your saw around and repeat the process for
cutters on the other side of the chain.

What's the reasoning for this? Lack of ambidextrosity?

I stick the saw in a vise and stand in front of it with the tip of the bar pointed straight at my chest. File one side, then flip the file around to the other hand to file the next cutter.

I'm using a file guide and holding onto the file with both hands.

Anything wrong with doing it the "wrong" way?

Are you filing into or out of the cutter? If the bar is pointed towards your chest, and are pushing the file, you would be filing into the cutter. This is the less desirable way to file. To file this way correctly, you would have to turn the file handle away from you and pull the file towards you. I would think this would be very awkward. most people file with the rear handle pointed towards them, or slightly off to the side, so they can push the file out of the cutter. This is the reason for filing one side first then other.

Are you filing into or out of the cutter? If the bar is pointed towards your chest, and are pushing the file, you would be filing into the cutter. This is the less desirable way to file. To file this way correctly, you would have to turn the file handle away from you and pull the file towards you. I would think this would be very awkward. most people file with the rear handle pointed towards them, or slightly off to the side, so they can push the file out of the cutter. This is the reason for filing one side first then other.

I am filing "out" of the cutter. I am so new at this I don't know what should feel awkward or not!

I would say that I am pulling the file rather than pushing it. I use a file guide and I'm holding the file with both hands. I am not totally ambidextrous, but I'm more balanced than most (left-hander in a rightie world).

I will try doing it the other way (reaching around the saw) and see how I like it.

Back