sharpener question

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mafhuntfish

Reaction score
Hi All - Just joined - My chain saw chain is a 3/8 pitch (i believe) and requires a 7/32 round file to sharpen it. I'm looking at a bench sharpener that comes with a 1/8 X 4 1/4 grinding wheel. Will this wheel work for my chain or do I need a different thickness wheel? Thanks for any & all replies - got a mountain of wood to cut....... Mark

An 1/8 wheel is for .325 chain i believe. You need a 3/16 wheel to do 3/8 chain. Bailey's would probably be the quickest and cheapest place to order one.

Need 3/16" wheel for 3/8 pitch chain. The 1/8" wheel works for 0.325 pitch and 3/8" Low Profile chain only. You are probably looking at those cheap Chinese knockoff sharpeners with only a 1/8" wheel. Used one once and it did a fair job, but would not recommend buying one.

Thanks for the quick reply! Can you tell me exactly how to measure the pitch of my chain? - so I'll know for sure - Thanks again Also - you're correct on the cheap sharpener (harbor freight) Can I use a 3/16 wheel on one of these?

Last edited:
Thanks for the quick reply! Can you tell me exactly how to measure the pitch of my chain? - so I'll know for sure - Thanks again Also - you're correct on the cheap sharpener (harbor freight) Can I use a 3/16 wheel on one of these?

The small 3/16" Oregon grinder wheel is 7/8 Arbor, 4 1/8" dia, where the HDC Sharpener uses 7/8" arbor and 4 1/4" dia. Whether that difference matters, I do not know. Maybe other may be more informed, or ask the HDC customer service, if there is such a thing.

Can you tell me exactly how to measure the pitch of my chain?/QUOTE]

attachment.php

Philbert

if your looking for a cheap sharpener/grinder buy the one from northern tool, it's a chineese knockoff but WAYYYY better than that plastic thing h/f sells...
my neighbor burnt up 2 of em trying to sharpen 2 chains........he's still without a sharpener/grinder..
i just laugh at him and say "i told ya so"

i just laugh at him and say "i told ya so"

Funny - I recently said the same thing to someone who bought one of the Chinese knock off grinders and was expecting it to perform (and last) like the Italian ones they copied.

Cheap is cheap.

mafhuntfish might do better with a good quality filing guide for $30 to $40 (see below) than a cheap electric grinder.

http://www.baileysonline.com/itemdetail.asp?item=15200&catID=

http://www.baileysonline.com/itemdetail.asp?item=ORF+23736A&catID=

JMHO

Philbert

I really appreciate all the info & replies - You guys are GREAT - Won't be getting one from Harbor Freight.

Latest posts

Back