Sharpening a Laser ripping chain

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tennessee lemur

Reaction score
Hey y'all, I'm not new to tree work or carpentry but I'm new to CS milling!

I am running a Stihl 261c with an 18 in bar, Laser ripping chain, and a Granberg small mill. Being in TN, our trees aren't huge...and I'm going to be milling 2x8s and maybe 2x10s for a platform deep in the woods.

In the past I've used the Stihl sharpening tool for my saw, and I know how to use a round file and flat file with depth gauge. I attached a PDF scan of the paper instructions that came with the Laser ripping chain. I am impressed with its quality and it cuts great but the instructions on sharpening aren't super clear to me.

My question about these filing instructions is...how do I know that the "A" cutters are .010 inches lower than the "B" cutters...and what is the proper depth for the rakers?

Thanks y'all!

Attachments

• laser rip chain instructions .pdf
    139.8 KB · Views: 23
In my part of Tn the hardwood is pretty large. I use a 60cc saw for sawing the first cant and then go to a 90cc saw to do the actual milling. Give the 261 plenty of time to breathe and cool off. As to the chain, I file the top plate angle to 10 degrees and keep the depth gauges to .25 thousands.20200323_115103.jpg

Good God thats some big wood! Where in TN are you? I'm in Chattanooga. I would love to see some of your work. The 261 is strong for what it is but it works hard to mill 12 inch wide cants. I had to start and stop a lot. The saw seems to be none the worse for wear. As far as straight edge and depth gauge, I'm smacking my face. Thats so obvious haha. I've done valves but couldn't figure that out on my own. Thanks for the help.

Latest posts

Back