Sharpening cut resistant gloves recommendation s

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I'm in the process of getting the "feel" for this, having never used the bar mounted jig (early "yellow" Oregon) until just now.
The jig-assisted work is going to be an indoor thing for the most part, so comfort (warmth) isn't going to be an issue. The coated/kevlar/-resistant- glove thing is just going to help me overcome the occasional mistake that I've just recently learned can lead to 1/2 a week (maybe more) of minor suffering (fingers are mighty "touchy" since my accident & aftermath).
Since starting this thread I've located a product that -may- just fill the bill, once I've had opportunity to ask them a couple of questions, I'll likely pull the trigger on these: https://www.leevalley.com/en-us/shop/tools/apparel-and-safety-gear/gloves/72972-cut-resistant-gloves
One thing I've learned about Lee Valley, I've never been able to discern a "dud" in any of their half-dozen catalogs. I did some pretty thorough looking, and couldn't find these particular ones -anywhere- else. A little bit pricey for an unknown, so far as how they'll hold up to this sort of abuse, but I'm about to find out, eh?
What a wonderful story from another old grinder. This thread will never die, as long as everyone wears gloves, and is bored.

So Im not supposed to index the chain by pulling it with the file?

never needed to sharpen gloves, I suppose sharpened gloves would need to be cut resistant though...

Good ole White Ox cotton rigging gloves are again the skookum choochers here, every bit as dexterous as "mechanics" gloves 3x the cut protection. cheaper too.

Hard to sharpen though.... being 100% cotton...

To be fair... etc... I've never used gloves handling sharp chains, yes I get the S cut out of me at time, (got a doosie on muh thumb at the moment) but its not too bad, they usually are cut nice and clean and heal up in a hurry, rarely leaving a scar. Note: not the same as running a saw into soft fleshy bits, that does remove large amount of squishy meats and does leave a sexy scar or not so sexy amputation, or death... (Some folks are way to into amputees' though.... results may vary user discretion is advised)

Sometimes the hand holding the file slips and runs into the newly sharpened tooth. A rag may not be covering that.

Philbert
Maybe use a file handle? Dunno, just spitballing here.

stihl-plastic-file-handle-p437-22211_medium.jpg

never needed to sharpen gloves, I suppose sharpened gloves would need to be cut resistant though...

Good ole White Ox cotton rigging gloves are again the skookum choochers here, every bit as dexterous as "mechanics" gloves 3x the cut protection. cheaper too.

Hard to sharpen though.... being 100% cotton...

To be fair... etc... I've never used gloves handling sharp chains, yes I get the S cut out of me at time, (got a doosie on muh thumb at the moment) but its not too bad, they usually are cut nice and clean and heal up in a hurry, rarely leaving a scar. Note: not the same as running a saw into soft fleshy bits, that does remove large amount of squishy meats and does leave a sexy scar or not so sexy amputation, or death... (Some folks are way to into amputees' though.... results may vary user discretion is advised)
At 46, I Stihl ride dirt bikes believe it or not, so of course I wear ridding gloves. I also use the same gloves when I cut. Great dexterity and tougher than hell!👍That being said I've always taken my gloves off when I tune a chain by hand. Never cut myself in 25+ years while handling a loop of saw chain or handling a power saw while not running. Scratched myself a few times though 😉

Now I have cut the s**t out of myself in the past with a running saw! Definitely not a scratch! 😂

Same thing. Hand slips off the handle. Has happened to me. Seen it happen to others. Might get distracted, etc.
In that case, maybe you need to wear something like this when you sharpen chains:

harness-picture-id157400351

After all, you could drop the saw, or fall on the saw, or -- golly, why take any chances? It's scary to even think about!

I think I'm gonna start using chain-mail gloves when I eat a steak. Never know when your hand might slip off the knife handle and you eviscerate yourself.

In that case, maybe you need to wear something like this when you sharpen chains:

harness-picture-id157400351

After all, you could drop the saw, or fall on the saw, or -- golly, why take any chances? It's scary to even think about!

I think I'm gonna start using chain-mail gloves when I eat a steak. Never know when your hand might slip off the knife handle and you eviscerate yourself.
That might be a bit much for me, especially, in warmer weather.

Through the years we have had several members post about cutting themselves while sharpening. Even some severe cuts from the sharp burrs on bar edges. Up to you.

BTW, we used to use the chain-mail gloves in the meat packing plants.

Philbert

At 46, I Stihl ride dirt bikes believe it or not, so of course I wear ridding gloves. I also use the same gloves when I cut. Great dexterity and tougher than hell!👍That being said I've always taken my gloves off when I tune a chain by hand. Never cut myself in 25+ years while handling a loop of saw chain or handling a power saw while not running. Scratched myself a few times though 😉

Now I have cut the s**t out of myself in the past with a running saw! Definitely not a scratch! 😂
Still riding dirt bikes at 62 while wearing gloves, heading out tomorrow for some warmup riding and will be leaving for a 4day weekend of riding.

45ish years of sharpening saws without gloves and yep every once in awhile I slip and get a minor cut which usually heals in a few days, I usually think about wearing gloves after the fact and by then it is to late. :surprised3: Some kids never learn:)

Still riding dirt bikes at 62 while wearing gloves, heading out tomorrow for some warmup riding and will be leaving for a 4day weekend of riding.

45ish years of sharpening saws without gloves and yep every once in awhile I slip and get a minor cut which usually heals in a few days, I usually think about wearing gloves after the fact and by then it is to late. :surprised3: Some kids never learn:)
Right on man! Glad to hear your still riding at 62! My goal is to still be riding at 55! If I make it to 60 I'll be amazed with myself!😂 I actually have an annual hare and hound this coming weekend. Hoping to make the podium for the third time in the seven year history of the race. We'll see what happens! 👍 Watch out for those saw chain scratches when tuning them chains! I reckon it happens to the best of'em!😂

Latest posts

Back