Sharpening cut resistant gloves recommendation s

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Right on man! Glad to hear your still riding at 62! My goal is to still be riding at 55! If I make it to 60 I'll be amazed with myself!😂 I actually have an annual hare and hound this coming weekend. Hoping to make the podium for the third time in the seven year history of the race. We'll see what happens! 👍 Watch out for those saw chain scratches when tuning them chains! I reckon it happens to the best of'em!😂
I am considered the kid in the group, oldest being 85 but he usually will only ride every other day on a 4 day ride.

Following advice to utilize a new chain to determine angle(s) parameters for my sharpening regime made me keenly aware of the -coated- gloves I spotted in photos of the sharpening threads.
Now that my thumb pad is a bit less sensitive (even factory sharp is capable of fingerprint removal!) I'd like to source some worthwhile cut resistant gloves, but falling back on others purchasing foibles might leave me more treasure to spend on files and such.
Anyone out there have a favorite? -or- find themselves willing to say that a specific type/brand/model might be worth the extra -or is there even a great deal to be had ?
Is an A4 versus A5, ect. - (kevlar,steel, type of coating ) and the resistance rating going to justify the vast cost array that I'm swimming in?
Just another of those things that eat up bucks and time to learn "the best" or "adequate", or even ???
I love the coated Atlas gloves, but I would STRONGLY recommend against using them when sharpening chains or doing any kind of metal work that involves grinding or cutting. The reason is that the knit material does a great job of orienting the filings/shavings/dust just the right way so that they can slip trough the gloves and embed themselves in your skin on the insides of your fingers/knuckles. Use a pair of leather gloves. If feel like most leather gloves are just to heavy and you want more "feel" then get a pair of TIG welding gloves, or deer skin gloves. They are thinner and softer.

In that case, maybe you need to wear something like this when you sharpen chains:

harness-picture-id157400351
Not safe. I see frilly curtains down by his naughty bits instead of a cast iron cod-piece. If you aren't leading with your cod you aren't sharpening right.

Not safe. I see frilly curtains down by his naughty bits instead of a cast iron cod-piece. If you aren't leading with your cod you aren't sharpening right.
well... having worn and fought in very similar armor (full contact not scripted BS) Them frilly bits you speak of are Chain Mail, and do a surprisingly better job at stopping and even cushioning a blow then rigid metal armor does, so much so that even in the soft squishy bits you might not even realize you've been hit there, but you will feel every hit on the rigid metal as it "slaps" and stings like a whip crack, as well as being very loud
Though to be clear, it does look like this particular manikin has just some fabric fringe, in reality there would be a flap of loose chain mail to cover the groin, and likely any other exposed parts, but also... (totally nerding out here) its a jousting set up, so I'd bet the back side isn't armored at all, the saddle pommel would cover any thing sensitive... assuming one stayed in the saddle...

Latest posts

Back