sharpening frequency?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mattellis2

ArboristSite Member
Reaction score
How long do you guys typically run between chain sharpenings or touch-ups? Obviously, it depends on the kind of wood you're working on. For me, I cut mostly white or red oak, as I am a strictly firewood kind of guy. If i can keep the bar out of the dirt, I can run 1 to 1.5 tanks of gas before it is time for a sharpen.

Does that sound about right? I started hand filing, and while not as sharp as a factory chain, I am getting pretty close.

-matt

i run mine sometimes a couple days worth... depending on wood conditions etc.
also have had some not last five minutes before... i have a grinder, but like sharpening by hand better, seems to get them sharper and holds longer... if the wood is harsh i will touch up once an hour with file... but i usually tend to change out the chain while fueling up if dull... i carry five for each saw with me, this cuts down on down time in the field. i can always file the saws later while watching tv..
besides the wife just loves to see the saws on the kitchen table....

I run 3/8" pitch, .025 depth round filed Stihl RSC on my MS361 (20" bar). Most of the time, I can get over a tank's worth of cutting oak, ash, maple if it's clean. Note that some fuel tanks are smaller than others and some engines consume fuel at a faster rate.

I usually take 3-4 chains into the field with me for an afternoon of cutting. They get sharpened on the bench when I get back home, but there are also tools for sharpening in my field bag (just in case).

Cutting oak, I usually get the file out every other tank. Only takes a minute to sharpen a chain. Lot easier to do it before it gets really dull. I do carry spare chains, but only for if I break one. A chain will ride my bar till the file mark is gone, then it's time for a new one.

I think that the OP has it about right. I hate to work with a dull chain, and if I get through about two tanks. I will file a three or four strokes on each tooth. Sometimes the need for filing might be more often though if I am in dirty wood.

If the saw isn't throwing nice big chips,,,,,,it needs a filing. Working with a nice sharp chain is fun. Not so much if it is dull.

Bob

In clean wood I sharpen by hand once at the end of the day. I would say an average of 3 to 4 tanks of fuel between sharpening, and then it is only 2-3 strokes per tooth. Or I hit the dirt on the first cut and sharpen in the bucket of the tractor. I use Oregon lpx.

I've gotten into the habit of touching up when I fill, except on the MS-460, it sucks gas pretty quick, can get 2 tanks or more per sharpening. Keeping the bar out of the dirt/rocks is the key...

besides the wife just loves to see the saws on the kitchen table....[/QUOTE]

:msp_lol::msp_lol::msp_lol: them womens just got no humor!!!!

Last edited:
I think that the OP has it about right. I hate to work with a dull chain, and if I get through about two tanks. I will file a three or four strokes on each tooth. Sometimes the need for filing might be more often though if I am in dirty wood.

If the saw isn't throwing nice big chips,,,,,,it needs a filing. Working with a nice sharp chain is fun. Not so much if it is dull.

Bob

and extremely wasteful...harder on gas from hard pull,,harder on bar from downward pressure,,chain is pulling harder,trying to pull chain apart, lube gets BURNT off bar if chain hot enough,,clutch is pulling wayyy harder, which can stretch the chain faster--and can premature wear out clutch,,,sharp chain only!!!!!

I'm using the chips as a gauge, it may be every tank or two at the most on my MS 270. I use a Dremel and its fast.

Cutting with a dull chain is like taking a shower and putting your dirty underwear back on.

I try to keep the chain sharp and touch it up every couple of tanks its usually still cutting pretty well though, so I could see going longer, but it usually doesnt take to long to hand file when its not really dull and is my main reason for doing it so often, dont mind hand filing but when you get a real dull one or one thats been grounded or hit metal and is a little messed up it takes considerbly longer to sharpen.

I usually take a few swats every tankfull, most generally I can block a full cord and a half with my 365. Of course sharpening intervals will differ if there's any dirty wood in the mix.

If I don't hit anything that isn't wood with it, it will usually go every other tank...and then it's just a couple quick hits to each tooth and then back at it. I cut mostly ash/maple/oak with some hickory and elm thrown in for fun.

I'm sharpening the 455 about every 3 tankfuls when clean, green stuff-mix of hard and soft stuff.

Do all chains have rakers that need filing. How often do you file them down???

Also-a dull file does me no good. I found it well worth grabbing a new file after about 15strokes on each tooth. (18" bar, cant remember how many teeth, maybe 66??)

I Agree

In clean wood I sharpen by hand once at the end of the day. I would say an average of 3 to 4 tanks of fuel between sharpening, and then it is only 2-3 strokes per tooth. Or I hit the dirt on the first cut and sharpen in the bucket of the tractor. I use Oregon lpx.
+1. I accidentally hit mud today and started throwing powder. So, I stopped immediately and changed chains. It's stupid to waste time and fuel.

I always carry 2 to 3 chains to the jobsite for each saw in the truck. I generally can average 4 tanks per sharpening when bucking. It drops to 2 when I start noodling big ones that I can't lift unless I halve them or whenever I fell trees. Cutting crotch at the Y is another way of dulling a chain fast.

Nowadays I sharpen exclusively with an Oregon 511A.

In clean wood I can go every other tank and only take one or two strokes per tooth to sharpen the chain back up. Problem is that most of my wood get's drug up out of a creek bottom or ravine, so it's dirty. I've gotten in the habbit of touching the chain up every time I fill up. Just easier for me that way.

Mark

Latest posts

Back