Sharpening Gaffs

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Spikes

I touch mine up every now and then. I weigh 225, so they're hard to pull back out of thetree if I get them too sharp. It depends on what I'm climbing too. If I'm facing big thick-barked monsters I'll hit my spikes a lick or two.

Never.

I am a big guy and weigh over 225. It's hard as hell for me to pull sharp gaffs out of the tree. I used to sharpen them when I was younger and would have to work twice as hard when spiking to pull the gaffs out. If you are a big guy sharp gaffs are far less critical than for a light weight.

I never gaff out. Well that's a lie but very rarely and no more so than what would normally be expected. I should say that every now and then I hit a bad angle or something and one gaff might gaff out as will happen to every climber normally on a regular basis. I never gaff all the way out and have to be caught by my safety. Anyway, it works for me.

The main thing is penetration. If you can get good penetration in a Hickory or the like and not gaff out then why sharpen them and cause yourself to have to work harder?

Plus, I don't like for my gaffs to be able to easily cut or damage my rope should I touch it.

The main thing is penetration. If you can get good penetration in a Hickory or the like and not gaff out then why sharpen them and cause yourself to have to work harder?

Plus, I don't like for my gaffs to be able to easily cut or damage my rope should I touch it.

:agree2:

As a member of the "Over 250 Club", I don't need to sharpen mine either....

I used to sharpen regular, hoping that it would improve the gaffs somehow. It didn't. Fortunately, some low-life climbes kept stealing all the gaffs around my shop until nothing was worth wearing.

I bought some Gecko's. Uber-sharp, they haven't been used enough to need sharpening yet.

At my weight of 225-230 lbs, they NEVER stick in the tree. Buy some, you'll see. Somehow the shape just doesn't stick as much as any other spur I have worn. Step real light, never kick the tree to plant the super sharp gaffs, and they never kick out, either.

I would have thunk that when I gave my spurs to the shop to have them sharpened for 18 bucks they would have come back lazer sharp. But no, they just hit em with a file.
Some may say they don't like a spur too sharp cause it digs in and its hard to get out. Personally I like to be dug in real good when I am flopping squirelly limbs out on a pulley and getting tossed around like a rag doll.
They have a guide for some spurs which is good to use. Its cheap enough and I say keep them sharp and as close to factory as possible.

Never.

I am a big guy and weigh over 225. It's hard as hell for me to pull sharp gaffs out of the tree. I used to sharpen them when I was younger and would have to work twice as hard when spiking to pull the gaffs out. If you are a big guy sharp gaffs are far less critical than for a light weight.

I never gaff out. Well that's a lie but very rarely and no more so than what would normally be expected. I should say that every now and then I hit a bad angle or something and one gaff might gaff out as will happen to every climber normally on a regular basis. I never gaff all the way out and have to be caught by my safety. Anyway, it works for me.

That is probably true.

My big ass not being the issue, I do know how to sharpen gaffs. Most greenhorns will over file and sharpen them too much. You don't want razor sharp gaffs. It goes through ropes and big toes like butter (trust me I know).

A couple of strokes with a flat file. Keep the angle. That's all it takes.

No, I wouldn't know what is on your mind. I didn't know if you were trying to make fun of somebody or you were trying sarcasm or if that was the level you are at now or what.

Hey Mckeetree, how do you know when to sharpen your spikes? I don't know what is on your mind, ( really? ) simple question, simple answer, ( DUH! )
Jeff:cheers:

I sharpened my gaffs 3 or 4 years ago with a flat file. I might sharpen them again in 3 or 4 years from now if they need it. Gaffs dont need sharpening much actually. " I dont always use gaffs, but when I do, I prefer Buck pole gaffs, and Dos Equis".

I sharpened my gaffs 3 or 4 years ago with a flat file. I might sharpen them again in 3 or 4 years from now if they need it. Gaffs dont need sharpening much actually. " I dont always use gaffs, but when I do, I prefer Buck pole gaffs, and Dos Equis".

LOL! :hmm3grin2orange:

I once had an awkward moment... just to see what it was like...

Latest posts

Back