Sharpening Semi-Chisel vs Chisel

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jwholden

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
I have been getting better at sharpening my semi-chisel chain since I started visiting this site. The tip about cleaning out the gullet made a HUGE difference!

I am intimidated by sharpening a chisel chain because of the 10 degree angle. Is this a big deal if you are hand sharpening a saw? If you need a 10 degree angle can you still use a file holder like Oregon sells?

I'd love to see the differnce in speed between a Chisel and Semi-chisel chain, but would hate to have to take the chain to the shop every time it needs to be sharpened.

Thanks guys!

Oregon recommends a 10 degree angle Stihl recommends 0 degrees. Out of habit I still use 10 degrees and my chains cut really well. Yes you can use the same file holder. I don't find full chisel hard to sharpen whatsoever, you'll do fine, and you'll love the cutting speed.:cheers:

Last edited:
Oregon recommends a 10 degree angle Stihl recommends 0 degrees. Out of habit I still use 10 degrees and my chains cut really well. Yes you can use the same file holder. I don't find full chisel hard to sharpen whatsoever, you do fine, and you'll love the cutting speed.:cheers:

I tended to do it the other way around for a while, but then changed my mind! :agree2:

Anyway, the main issue is the heigth of the file, and that you look closely at what you are doing - not that angle! :givebeer:

Last edited:
I think you'll find Oregon only recommends the 10* tilt when using a bolt on file guide or grinder, and 0* when hand filing. ;)

Here you go, straight from the Oregon filing chart

When using an Oregon® file guide, ALWAYS hold it level, 0°, flat on the Top Plate

I just think you people that can use full chisel or better still square ground chain all the time are blessed.......and yes I'm jealous.....except when it comes time to actually burn the timber :D
As Gypo once said, how come the hotter parts of the planet have the timber with the highest BTU's/kW's ?

Semi-chisel is more tolerant to filing errors than chisel - no doubt about that!

Grinding is just for rocked-out chain, as a last resort, imo! :)

I've used both 10° and 0° on full chisel chain and not much in it. 10° is slightly faster but only just :)
I use mainly semi chisel in the stuff I cut - lasts longer and plenty fast enough for me. Speed isn't everything :popcorn:

I've used both 10° and 0° on full chisel chain and not much in it. 10° is slightly faster but only just :)
I use mainly semi chisel in the stuff I cut - lasts longer and plenty fast enough for me. Speed isn't everything :popcorn:
:agree2:

im not a filing expert but i practically learned to file on a chisel chain. Its not hard at all just pay attention to your top plate angles and you will do just fine.

I agree also, but if the wood is clean, you're gonna love full chisel..........:clap:

Semi chisel pretty much just needs a quick and easy swipe. For round chisel I like using the Granberg with the 10 degree tilt. It ends up being quicker for me to set up the jig than it does to actually get right down and watch what I'm doing.

Latest posts

Back