sharpening Stihls tiny 1/4" pico chain?

• Thread starter Deleted member 27831
  • Start date
Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
D

Deleted member 27831

We're considering buying a MSA200, however its only available with the 1/4" picco chain. I know from experince with the MS150 that this tiny chain is difficult to sharpen as the files are thin and flexible, and we haven't found a good mechanical solution.

There are a lot of things I like about the electric saw, but the chain is holding me back from pulling the trigger on a purchase. Does anyone have any suggestions?

I like the .043 gauge Picco chain 61PMM3 Are you sure you can't just get a sprocket for that I think the last 44 drive link bar for that I got was $32. The chains are 3 for $35 on the buy two get one deal.

I suspect you could use the 0.050 gauge 1/4 chain either Oregon 25ap or Stihl 13rm, would be a different bar that uses a 5/32 file.

The Husky and Makita battery saws seem to use the same diameter motor shaft with the same two flats, Stihl likely is the same the thicknesses might vary a bit.

Wait till you try that dam micro mini picco or whatever it’s called on the 150!!!!!

Back to your question.......get a grinder. And dress a thin wheel.

For the 150 chain here in the states I’m getting a thin CBN wheel.
1/8” files are spaghetti

There is a 5T 3/8P chain sprocket availible for the MSA 200. It comes together with a other cover that has to be put on the chain sprocket cover inside. Remove the 1/4 cover inside the chain sprocket cover and put the other 3/8P inside cover on it. Part number for this configuration is 1251 642 1201. It`s a special accessory.

What am I missing? Can't you use a 5/32 file? Use them all the time for 3/8 lo pro(picco) or 1/4 pitch chains.
Stihl Picco 1/4 chain is not 13rm or like Oregon 25ap. The ms150, pole pruners, and battery saws seem to come with this small chain now. I am quite sure it is a nice product most likely costly to use on an extended basis. Seems Oregon is coming out with a baby sized 0.325 perhaps to compete, perhaps to add more confusion.

Stihl Picco 1/4 chain is not 13rm or like Oregon 25ap. The ms150, pole pruners, and battery saws seem to come with this small chain now. I am quite sure it is a nice product most likely costly to use on an extended basis. Seems Oregon is coming out with a baby sized 0.325 perhaps to compete, perhaps to add more confusion.
Maybe next there will be a 404 LoPro.....

They are a little more challenging to hand file. My problem is breaking the file

They are a little more challenging to hand file. My problem is breaking the file

Yeah, for real. And the files flex so much I wonder about the quality of the sharpening I’m getting.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

According to my saw shop, the sprocket that allows you to run the 3/8” picco chain is no longer available.

I didn’t know there was a grinder wheel that would fit, I honestly done have any experience using a grinder to sharpen.

We use the electric granberg tool for sharpening. Is there really a diamond burr bit that small?

According to my saw shop, the sprocket that allows you to run the 3/8” picco chain is no longer available.

I didn’t know there was a grinder wheel that would fit, I honestly done have any experience using a grinder to sharpen.

We use the electric granberg tool for sharpening. Is there really a diamond burr bit that small?

There can be.
I’m just gonna get one made.
Got an extra grinder that takes a small wheel so...

That tiny stihl chain cuts great and leaves a really smooth cut. It's a pain to sharpen, but if you use sharp files it isn't too bad. My rule is that if I bend the file more than twice on the same chain it's time for a new file.

Good idea on dressing a grinding wheel down. It will be thin and brittle, but should work.

That tiny stihl chain cuts great and leaves a really smooth cut. It's a pain to sharpen, but if you use sharp files it isn't too bad. My rule is that if I bend the file more than twice on the same chain it's time for a new file.

Good idea on dressing a grinding wheel down. It will be thin and brittle, but should work.
Yeah. There isn’t much grinder interface so you can thin it down.

I had a 150T and just bought the right files for it from local dealer. Was easy peasy IMO to file. 1/8" 3.2mm

I was impressed with the little micro 1/4" myself.

Micro 1/4 043 3rd one down compared to some reg size 1/4"

s150afffff.jpg
chain14.jpg chain14z.jpg

The distance from center of rivet to sliding surface sure looks less for the tiny cutter chain. Probably the drive sprockets should differ as picco 3/8 vs normal 3/8 do.

Anyone on here running this chain on their Husqvarna battery saws? Use the Husky sprocket? Or other brand with OEM 1/4 pitch drive sprocket.

If Stihl offers a file holding tool it would support the middle.

The distance from center of rivet to sliding surface sure looks less for the tiny cutter chain. Probably the drive sprockets should differ as picco 3/8 vs normal 3/8 do.

Anyone on here running this chain on their Husqvarna battery saws? Use the Husky sprocket? Or other brand with OEM 1/4 pitch drive sprocket.

If Stihl offers a file holding tool it would support the middle.

Stihl has a file guide for the 1/8" files. Works great no bending. $8
1/4 PM 6.35 1/8 3.2 5605 771 3206 5605 750 4300 5605 007 1001 https://www.stihlusa.com/products/chain-saws/filing-tools/fileguide/

Dremel makes a chainsaw sharpening attachment for their die grinders. I have been using this set up for a couple of years and find it works faster and better than files. I have the homeowner Stihl cordless and just swap in the smallest diameter straight stone and go to town. Takes maybe 2 minutes to do the cutters and another 2 or 3 if the rakers need lowering. I'm always amazed at the resistance to the Dremel. It's not 1940 !!! Would you use a file to sharpen a knife ? No, you would use a stone or a belt grinder [ which is a stone for all intents and purposes ].

Latest posts

Back