Shaver OWB questions

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
ngzcaz,

For ash removal I use a cheap round-point garden shovel that I accidentally straightened out during use. It reaches all the way to the back and it's curved blade works well with the curved bottom of the ash pan. I raised my 290 so I am able to place a metal 5 gal. bucket in front of the ash door and shovel the ashes directly into it.

Simple really... for you owners what do you use to rake the ashes out from the pan since there is an uphill lip ?

:popcorn:

Well this might sound like a fire hazard waiting to happen,,,,,, but I use my shop vac. I duct taped an old broom handle to it so I can reach the back, then slip a 90 degree piece of electrical conduit on the end to get the hard to reach area right behind the door. The ashes are usually pretty well out and I clean it before stoking the fire to avoid live coals in the bottom.

I did find a shop vac online that is all metal and has a flexible metal hose for cleaning fireplaces and woodstoves. Its advertised as fire resistant and has flame retardant filter. But I'm just not ready to come off the $220 for it yet,,,, I probably will be,,, right after I catch mine on fire on day, but so far I haven't had any problems and I've cleaned it 4 or 5 times this year so far. After I clean it, I immediately dump the ashes, then leave the shop vac outside for a day, before putting it back in my shop. Just in case.

One day I did suck up some glowing coals, and I knew it, so I filled a bucket full of water and then sucked that into the shop vac, no fire, the filter didn't even look burnt. I have a pretty cheap shop vac, I think it was $30 at Menards.

Last edited:
Actually, I like the shop vac idea but maybe suck some water up first, get everything wet, then go after the ashes ? Right now I made a modified hoe ( just a piece of re-bar and a welded small blade on the front. Pull the ashes forward where a kids snow shovel gets them out in a hurry. I dont rake them in a bucket, too much dust. The shovel allows you to place them in a container w/ minimum hassle.

Friend of mine has a furnace vac, all metal that he uses to clean out oil furnace tubes and piping. No idea how it would hold up to potentially hot ashes.
You must have the smaller vac with the 1 1/2 inch line attachments. Couldn't get mine thru the ash door opening.

:confused:

Actually, I like the shop vac idea but maybe suck some water up first, get everything wet, then go after the ashes ? Right now I made a modified hoe ( just a piece of re-bar and a welded small blade on the front. Pull the ashes forward where a kids snow shovel gets them out in a hurry. I dont rake them in a bucket, too much dust. The shovel allows you to place them in a container w/ minimum hassle.

Friend of mine has a furnace vac, all metal that he uses to clean out oil furnace tubes and piping. No idea how it would hold up to potentially hot ashes.
You must have the smaller vac with the 1 1/2 inch line attachments. Couldn't get mine thru the ash door opening.

:confused:

Yeah, its pretty small, the tank is a 3 1/2 gallon, I think. I don't think it would handle sucking up water before hand. The filter usually plugs up with ash once or twice and I have to shake it out. If it was all wet, the filter might not clean very easily. I only did it once because I knew there were hot embers inside, and then I had to hose it out and blow the filter out with compressed air. I think it was 29.99 on sale, or maybe that was full price, can't remember, its just a cheapy so if I destroy it I won't be real heart broken. I think it does have 1 1/2 or 1 1/4 line. The best part is you don't have ashes flying all over in your face, I cleaned the stove once with a shovel and it was kinda windy, it was pretty miserable.

:chainsaw:

Back