Shindaiwa 488 are they good saws?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Finch4440

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
I got a pretty nice Shindaiwa 488 given to me a few months ago I had to put about 80 bucks in it to get it going, just wandering whats yalls experience/ opinions are on them?

The more of them I see, the more I realize that almost everything that says Shindaiwa on the side is good. Nice find.

picked one up a couple months ago at an auction...for $60. Some fresh mix and a little chain sharpening and it was good to go. Good lightweight saw, and I find myself bringing it along on wood cutting outings more and more. Not quite the high rpm saw as my stihls, but it cuts just fine. Use it quite a bit for limbing and the smaller wood. View attachment 281510View attachment 281511

I have a 757 but have not had a chance to put it in any wood.

7573_zps2c4a8f89.jpg

FYI Finch, we are only about 30 minutes apart. My best friend lives in Acworth. I'm up there fairly often.

I have a 757 but have not had a chance to put it in any wood.

7573_zps2c4a8f89.jpg

You should like that saw. My nieghbor has one and it is a good runner. His dad worked for a Shindaiwa distributor and they got the 757 when they were closing them out. They also have a small one, not sure of the model number but it is around 30cc and a nimble little cutting machine.

FYI Finch, we are only about 30 minutes apart. My best friend lives in Acworth. I'm up there fairly often.
Thats good to know everyone I see on here seems like they are up north, I am originally from Rome GA, I cut a lot of firewood and I just love saws I didn't know this site exsisted until a few weeks ago

You guys are a bad influence. Should have never looked at this thread, now I may have to try a Shinny.

There's one in the "auctions" tab of this site....

Yah, nice saw. But that deal lost 'great' about $200 ago. :(

You guys are a bad influence. Should have never looked at this thread, now I may have to try a Shinny.

The 488 is one of the worst-kept 'secrets' out there. You won't be disappointed.

I have one and like it. Did a mm and it woke it up a lot.

When I got mine, it ran like crap because the muffler screen was 99% clogged. Removed it and it runs well. Right now, I see no point in doing a MM because I have the non-adjustable high-side carb. I am on the lookout for the adjustable one, though.

Thats good to know everyone I see on here seems like they are up north, I am originally from Rome GA, I cut a lot of firewood and I just love saws I didn't know this site exsisted until a few weeks ago

That's an inaccurate perception. AS people are everywhere. Even other countries. Ya gotta go quite a ways south to get to me and nmurph is further south yet.

I said this before, but I think I could bury a 488 in the back yard for a few years, go dig it up and it would start in three pulls with new gas. Incredibly good working saws.

Latest posts

Back