shindaiwa 488 or 502?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DSS

Cowshot
Reaction score
Hi everyone.Company I work for has a rental division which carries shindaiwa saws.Went to look yesterday and can buy a 488 [one year old and looks like new]for 300 bucks canadian.I know these are good saws but cant seem to find out if this is a good price.Anybody know what a new one is worth in canada? They also have some 502's,are these a good saw?4 or 5 more cc's than a 488.

Don't know about price but they have a very good reputation!
Not the fastest kid on the block but easy starter that runs for ever.

Yeah,thats what they tell me at the rental shop,the 488's last forever with little trouble.Was looking at a new ms 260 but i dont really need a 600 dollar saw to cut 8 cords a year,thought the shinny was a good option.

Do you mean the 488 is older? Think they told me it was new in nov or dec 08.Know anything about the 502? Cant find anything about these,must be brand new?

I haven't stopped by the Shindaiwa booth at the Expo for a couple of years,
but I bekieve it was dropped from their lineup, of course they still may be
selling old stock.

I was a Shindaiwa dealer in 93 or 94, when I got a computer in 99, they still
had me as a servicing dealer for them, so with them, anything is possible.
Good saw though.

The 488 was dropped (In the USA) a few years ago, although there were plenty of dealers still selling old stock. The 502 is brand new, it never made it to the States (Shindaiwa is no longer selling chainsaws in the US)

The 488 was dropped (In the USA) a few years ago, although there were plenty of dealers still selling old stock. The 502 is brand new, it never made it to the States (Shindaiwa is no longer selling chainsaws in the US)

No big loss for US costumers, as it looks for me! :)

Personally sounds a bit high on the price for a used 488. I don't know about the 502 but my 488's have proven to be good reliable saws for me. As stated, they may not be the fastest around but start amazingly easy and run well. I've run both 18" and 20" .325 on mine and find the 18" to be a better match for these.

If I were going to opt on one of these two saws, I'd pick the 488 as there are quite a few of them out there and so far what few parts I've needed have been easy to find, whether new or used.

Unlike some others, I find the loss of the Shindaiwa to be a bad thing as these are good reliable machines with ease of operation for the homeowner looking to cut firewood.

shindaiwa 488 or 502

Hi everyone.Company I work for has a rental division which carries shindaiwa saws.Went to look yesterday and can buy a 488 [one year old and looks like new]for 300 bucks canadian.I know these are good saws but cant seem to find out if this is a good price.Anybody know what a new one is worth in canada? They also have some 502's,are these a good saw?4 or 5 more cc's than a 488.

Hi,
we work in construction and LOVE these two saws. To my best knowledge 300 is not too bad for that 488cc's but for the kind of work we do the 502 is better (not for much though).
Is there any way possible you can tell us where to get new 502's or 488's? We are in Ottawa and looking all over the place for them. We just got an Echo cs500p and is a piece of s......
I'll appreciate your response.
Thanks, Donald

Looking for new Shindaiwa 502s or 488

Hi there,
Does anybody know of a company who still carries new Shindaiwas 502s or 488? We are in Ottawa and the companies we know around here don't have them anymore.
I'll appreciate your feedback.
Donald

Hi there,
Does anybody know of a company who still carries new Shindaiwas 502s or 488? We are in Ottawa and the companies we know around here don't have them anymore.
I'll appreciate your feedback.
Donald

This thread is 18 months old, but there are still some new 488's and 502's at our local rental shop. Send me a pm if you want the ph number, or I can ask about them tomorrow.

Gotta be something closer to ottawa then PEI you would think?

Personally sounds a bit high on the price for a used 488. I don't know about the 502 but my 488's have proven to be good reliable saws for me. As stated, they may not be the fastest around but start amazingly easy and run well. I've run both 18" and 20" .325 on mine and find the 18" to be a better match for these.

If I were going to opt on one of these two saws, I'd pick the 488 as there are quite a few of them out there and so far what few parts I've needed have been easy to find, whether new or used.

Unlike some others, I find the loss of the Shindaiwa to be a bad thing as these are good reliable machines with ease of operation for the homeowner looking to cut firewood.

I agree with you alderman,I'm sad to see them go.My 488 has never let me or the original owner down,he bought it in '92 and I got it in '08. I just picked up a exceptionally clean 575 with 4 new chains at an auction this weekend for $90. If I can find time to get a pic I'll post it

This thread is 18 months old, but there are still some new 488's and 502's at our local rental shop. Send me a pm if you want the ph number, or I can ask about them tomorrow.

Gotta be something closer to ottawa then PEI you would think?

Hi,
I will really appreciate the info and the closer to Ottawa the better. Thanks a lot.
Donald

Back