Shindaiwa 488P (and Kindred) Air Filter Housing...

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Conquistador3

Le Comte de Frou Frou
Reaction score
Just out of idle curiosity... why did Shindaiwa start to house air filter housings that looks like a Vokes out of a WWII Spitfire fighter?

7456_ext_01_0.png

Shindaiwa says this is a "heavy duty" air filter, but honestly Echo, Stihl and the rest of the gang seem not have any issues with old and boring air filters.
Any feedback is appreciated.

PS: the 488 is still manufactured and sold in non-EU/EPA markets in both versions. If shipping weren't prohibitive I'd buy a P right away, just for the looks. ;)

They were one clumsy azz rig in the woods, not so bad for bucking off the pile, likely devised for those that could not file/sharpen a chain or for cutting in very dusty conditions. Always thought they may work well for cutting after a fire went through.

But they are the best filter system for "Actually" filtering and working

You'd think that since Yamabiko owns the patents to these filters they'd be slapping them on everything since they are so effective... yet even products made for developing countries where dusty conditions are likely to be met such as the CS-1201 use standard air filters.

I suspect it was yet another case of a very clever idea on paper which didn't translate so well in reality.

Just try yanking them through the underbrush when out felling trees off the stump like we do here. Its not a park in the woods here, have to cut a path from one tree to the next and the best saw for that is a streamlined one, not something with a beehive sticking out the top...LOL

I will admit that they are not pretty. And probably a hindrance in some situations, but as a mechanic, the 3 filter system in a 488 is the best ive seen for filtering out Australian hard wood dust (its like powder).

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

No denying that they would be a better filter in dusty conditions but as chainsaws go there would be little call for a filter setup like a concrete cut saw needs. For a specific usage there would be only a limited number of units built and distributed.

The Shindaiwa system is excellent for Australian conditions, but I agree the comments about making them unwieldy and the filter housing does hang up on things. All the shindawas are underrated saws which are extremely well made and the filtering systems are an extension of that quality - maybe just a bit of overkill for most people.

The Shindaiwa system is excellent for Australian conditions, but I agree the comments about making them unwieldy and the filter housing does hang up on things. All the shindawas are underrated saws which are extremely well made and the filtering systems are an extension of that quality - maybe just a bit of overkill for most people.
I agree with you and the others. Plus they are as ugly as your red headed step sister.
But dam that filter system works well lol

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

I've got a couple 488s with this setup.
For me, no advantage and no need out here in PNW where things stay damp.
And they do tend to get in their own way.
I do find they are helpful when I'm feeling smug.
I just post a pic and wait for the ridicule to begin.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk