Shindaiwa 490 air filter problem

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
G

Greenerpastures

Shindaiwa_490.jpg Hi everyone.
Back in January I bought a 490 Shindaiwa, it looks like the old 488.
Since I got it I am tired cleaning the air filter, and to make things worse
there is always some bits gets into the elbow which leads from the filter
to the carb inlet.
I read another post on here, where even changing to the flocked air filter
does not solve the problem.
I am wondering if anyone has discovered a better air filter or a mod that
will help keep dust out of the carb.
I have not tried the flocked air filter as I see no point when it does not
seem to work any better.
Would it be worth getting a new way to fasten the top plastic cover onto the saw,
and then with the bolt that holds this cover no longer required, I could drill a hole
and fit an air filter like comes on a Quad or something similar, does anyone know how well
these type of filters work with fine dust, and yes the saw is sharp, its dust of the wood
its self, standing wood at that.
I also note that parts No7 & No8 are not on my saw at all, like shown on the flowing link,
https://www.ereplacementparts.com/shindaiwa-490-epa2-chain-saw-c-34630_34766_34777.html

Or as a last resort, does anyone know of a better 50cc saw that does not suffer this kind
of serious design flaw, how about the echo series of saws, or the stihl 260.

Thanks for looking, and hope to hear your thoughts on this.

Hope these come out ok, first attempt from an unfamiliar phone.
Camera out of action so not great images.
Top view.jpg Bottom view.jpg
The Images are not much good, as it will take someone with knowledge
of this saw, to know whether or not the flocked filter off a Shimano 488,
or perhaps a filter from an echo 420 450 or 501or similar will fit my saw.
it would be easy enough if I could get my hands on such saws but not possible.

Attachments

• Carb view.jpg
    Carb view.jpg
    845.1 KB · Views: 18
I don't believe a 488 filter will work in this application. Is the dust getting in through the filter, or where it sits on the snorkel. I would try some Vaseline on the snorkel and see if it helps.
No issues with the 490 where I am as it is normally wet when I'm cutting wood.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Hi alderman, I have been sealing up around the snorkel with grease, and the joint in the filter where it opens.
I see dirt around the filter where it sits on the snorkel, just out from the greased joint, and unfortunately small
partials inside the filter and the snorkel, it looks as if Shindaiwa designed the system wrong, drawing in dust
that should not be accessible to the air breather, then even the mesh looks too big to filter out the dust, so no wonder
I get dust inside the snorkel. Am wondering if the CS 450 or 501 saws air filter would fit my saw, maybe echo made
a better job of this.Filter on.jpg

View attachment 602309 Hi everyone.
Back in January I bought a 490 Shindaiwa, it looks like the old 488.
Since I got it I am tired cleaning the air filter, and to make things worse
there is always some bits gets into the elbow which leads from the filter
to the carb inlet.
I read another post on here, where even changing to the flocked air filter
does not solve the problem.
I am wondering if anyone has discovered a better air filter or a mod that
will help keep dust out of the carb.
I have not tried the flocked air filter as I see no point when it does not
seem to work any better.
Would it be worth getting a new way to fasten the top plastic cover onto the saw,
and then with the bolt that holds this cover no longer required, I could drill a hole
and fit an air filter like comes on a Quad or something similar, does anyone know how well
these type of filters work with fine dust, and yes the saw is sharp, its dust of the wood
its self, standing wood at that.
I also note that parts No7 & No8 are not on my saw at all, like shown on the flowing link,
https://www.ereplacementparts.com/shindaiwa-490-epa2-chain-saw-c-34630_34766_34777.html

Or as a last resort, does anyone know of a better 50cc saw that does not suffer this kind
of serious design flaw, how about the echo series of saws, or the stihl 260.

Thanks for looking, and hope to hear your thoughts on this.
If the seal and sleeve that are behind the air filter are missing then I'd replace them and and give the design a chance to work .

If the seal and sleeve that are behind the air filter are missing then I'd replace them and and give the design a chance to work .
Hi scottr
There does not seem to be any room on my saw for any other component to go between the airfilter and the
snorkle, the snorkleb comes out of the carb, and there is an o ring on that snorkle already, it sits in a small groove, and the collar of the snorkle, and the filter sits down over the top.
The fittings shown in the link that I posted for 490 parts shows a different kind of setup, it also terms the parts
to be for a 490 EPA2 saw, I never saw this EPA2 mentiond while I was looking up the initial purchase of my
Shindaiwa 490, so for all I know it could be a different carb, along with the different fittings that are required.
This would be a big investment and chance to take, given I have no way of knowing whether they will actually
fit my saw at all.
As can be seen from my images, there is an elbow / snorkle coming from the carb, I see no gaps or opeinings
in it where any dust can get in, so am concluding it gets in around the oring area, and I know it get through the
filter its self, which is impossible for me to fix, I cant make the holes in the mesh smaller. though I can cobble
on vaseling around the joint between the snorkle and carb the main problem is the dust gets through the filter.

Hi scottr
There does not seem to be any room on my saw for any other component to go between the airfilter and the
snorkle, the snorkleb comes out of the carb, and there is an o ring on that snorkle already, it sits in a small groove, and the collar of the snorkle, and the filter sits down over the top.
The fittings shown in the link that I posted for 490 parts shows a different kind of setup, it also terms the parts
to be for a 490 EPA2 saw, I never saw this EPA2 mentiond while I was looking up the initial purchase of my
Shindaiwa 490, so for all I know it could be a different carb, along with the different fittings that are required.
This would be a big investment and chance to take, given I have no way of knowing whether they will actually
fit my saw at all.
As can be seen from my images, there is an elbow / snorkle coming from the carb, I see no gaps or opeinings
in it where any dust can get in, so am concluding it gets in around the oring area, and I know it get through the
filter its self, which is impossible for me to fix, I cant make the holes in the mesh smaller. though I can cobble
on vaseling around the joint between the snorkle and carb the main problem is the dust gets through the filter.
The 490 owners manual just mentions to check the air filter before each use . Have you requested a IPL for your saw in the beg for manuals thread ? Maybe there is a filter available for dusty conditions .

Hi @Greenerpastures

First off I would like to comment on the most often reason for fine dust. Blunt chain or even chain with the rakers not taken down accordingly after sharpening is the number one reason. If these two are not cared for fine dust will prevail.
Of course there are certain types of wood that dust alot when cutting through the bark. Also certain types of bark are very abrasive which accelerate the problem, but this is a very seldom problem in continental europe and much more often seen in countries like australia. This is easy to reduce by using a hand axe to chop away the bark before using your chainsaw.

Second you mention fine dust. How much are we speaking of? Judging by your pictures that is, for me, not even noteworthy! If after a few hours you have a very light coating in your elbow I wouldn't care a second.
Why not? Chainsaw are mechanically very primitive and are designed to easily cope with this "problem". It just get's injested, burns a little and spit out at the other end. If you have any experience with saws of 20-40 years ago the filters were often much worse than today and still these saws run just as well today... The hype of super clean air comes from technologically in much more advanced engines. These are two strokes that even run on waste oil as two stroke oil if need be. You will see that in countless third world countries. So if there is only a light coating I wouldn't worry a second. If you have a major caking I would seriously check your chains and wood type.

Hi @Greenerpastures

First off I would like to comment on the most often reason for fine dust. Blunt chain or even chain with the rakers not taken down accordingly after sharpening is the number one reason. If these two are not cared for fine dust will prevail.
Of course there are certain types of wood that dust alot when cutting through the bark. Also certain types of bark are very abrasive which accelerate the problem, but this is a very seldom problem in continental europe and much more often seen in countries like australia. This is easy to reduce by using a hand axe to chop away the bark before using your chainsaw.

Second you mention fine dust. How much are we speaking of? Judging by your pictures that is, for me, not even noteworthy! If after a few hours you have a very light coating in your elbow I wouldn't care a second.
Why not? Chainsaw are mechanically very primitive and are designed to easily cope with this "problem". It just get's injested, burns a little and spit out at the other end. If you have any experience with saws of 20-40 years ago the filters were often much worse than today and still these saws run just as well today... The hype of super clean air comes from technologically in much more advanced engines. These are two strokes that even run on waste oil as two stroke oil if need be. You will see that in countless third world countries. So if there is only a light coating I wouldn't worry a second. If you have a major caking I would seriously check your chains and wood type.

Hi 7sleeper, thank you for commenting.
I cut for ten or 15 minutes, and have small particals in the plastic elbow that leads to the carb.
I spent years as a teen walking around after my father as he cut hedges that were meeting in the middle of the
fields, covered from top to toe in sawdust as I moved the cut bushes and limbs to one side so he could
continue.
We had and still have it here under wrapps, a Stihl 044 or 041, cant remember which, I watched and eventually
was the one who cleanted the filter with a few taps every three hours or so. My father was a mechanic, I followed,
and can tell you there was rarely any dust in the carb.
So I am more than shocked that a saw almost 40 years newer cant even compete on the filtration, the proof being
the Stihl still runs today, and am not the only one who has this problem on this model of saw.
My Jonsered 2153 and my Husqvarna 372 never had any problems with dust.

I just want to give this saw a chance, they are too expensive to just let die bacuse I turn a blind eye to the poor filtration
system.

And yes, the chains are sharp and filed down according to need, there really is no point in having a dull chain or one
that is not in good condition in every respect, waste of time, and a burden to man and saw.
I guess I will have to sell this, and find a saw with better filtration, am not even cutting in conditions that remotely
resemble a dusty environment. hardly any dust on me at all, the saw seems to collect it all up like a vacume.

Does the screw in the top cover also pass through the filter assembly? (#28 in the second drawing below)
If that one screw location is all that holds the filter, I can imagine the plastic frame of the filter easily twising a little and thus not holding a good seal at the air horn/elbow.

Can you tell if the fines are leaking around the opening were the filter slips over the elbow?
Or do they seem to be passing through the filter element itself?
Since you mentioned this is not uncommon, You may be in for a bit of "creativity" to get som pressure on the rear of the filter assembly
in order to stop a leak around the opening.
IF that is the problem.
A piece of weather stripping foam or felt or rubber, inside of the top cover may be all that it takes!

Sorry for the switch.
I couldn't get the ereplacements link to chang pages, so i went to partstree instead. ( Damned java scripts, for a simple image swap)
https://polr.partstree.com/v1/iplim...wdGlvbnMiO2E6MTp7czo1OiJ3aWR0aCI7aToxMDAwO319

https://polr.partstree.com/v1/iplim...wdGlvbnMiO2E6MTp7czo1OiJ3aWR0aCI7aToxMDAwO319

The 490 owners manual just mentions to check the air filter before each use . Have you requested a IPL for your saw in the beg for manuals thread ? Maybe there is a filter available for dusty conditions .
Hi scottr
Shortly after I bought the saw, I looked for a flocked filter, and could find none, am almost certain
I read this in the parts manual, I have a partls list on a hard drive some where, put there because it did
not contain any information regarding the parts issue.

Thanks for your suggestions, the search for a solution continues.

Regards to all who posted, john

Does the screw in the top cover also pass through the filter assembly? (#28 in the second drawing below)
If that one screw location is all that holds the filter, I can imagine the plastic frame of the filter easily twising a little and thus not holding a good seal at the air horn/elbow.

Can you tell if the fines are leaking around the opening were the filter slips over the elbow?
Or do they seem to be passing through the filter element itself?
Since you mentioned this is not uncommon, You may be in for a bit of "creativity" to get som pressure on the rear of the filter assembly
in order to stop a leak around the opening.
IF that is the problem.
A piece of weather stripping foam or felt or rubber, inside of the top cover may be all that it takes!

Sorry for the switch.
I couldn't get the ereplacements link to chang pages, so i went to partstree instead. ( Damned java scripts, for a simple image swap)

Hi LegDeLimber, thanks for commenting.
In all honesty it is the filter its self, its not fine enough, the one on my other saw, is much finer and
the saw is a lot bigger, there is 100% enough surface are on the Shimano filter, that making it finer
would never cause a lack of air flow.

I have looked into the chamber where the carb and all its linkages sit, and from what I see,
the air for the engine comes throuth a 1/4 gap at the side of the back handle,
from there it comes up through an inch round hole.
There is only One other minor gar where the stop / shunt wire comes in to the stop start switch,
and I doubt it is bringing in dirt as the wire is coated with something kind of sticky yet no dust is on it,
though I wil watch it to see.
I am going to cut a square of fine plastic mesh to fit the casing and place it over the 1" hole
where the carb seems to get its air from, the mesh will be fine framed, but have 1 mm holes
so as not to be too restrictive, I have no doubt this will not obstruct the engine in any way,
but am hoping it will cut down on the particles, which I currently see laying in the bottom
of this houlsing.

People will have a ball with my next idea, and that is, womens tights.
Am going to completely wrap the filter in this material, One layer will suffice.
there is no danger of it being sucked in, as it would have get through the filter first.
and there is no hear, nor anything for it to catch on so it wont be a neusance when it
comes to cleaning it.
My main concern is not that it won't work, but rather being caught in the woods with
a womans stocking, I hope your reading this Shindaiwa.

Wish me luck

I used to stuff car speakers into nylon hose before installing them.
keeps (dead) bugs and leaves & other stuff out of them!
This was back in the 70's, when we spent more time riding with windows down and cars parked under a tree with windows down too.

They were well used here too, straining diesel and oils before re purposing them.
Well I went to install the plastic mesh, found not enough room between the bottom
of the throttle linkage.
Instead I found a what we reffer to as a pot scrubber, nylon sheet about 4" x 5 "x 4mm,
cut a square out of it and pushed the most of it down into the hole, and because of
the angle the piece sticking up can lay flat in the housing where it does not go near
the linkage, this stuff is expteemely breathable yet very close knit, so probably better
than my first idea, now looking for a nice soft latex o ring to put above the one that is
recessed onto the funnel from the carb, will cover with vaseline and push the rilter on,
this should seal well, will leave the other option untill i see how this works.

Regards to all, john

I actually haven't paid much attention to mine and I haven't run it much. I will have to take a look next time I think about it while in the shop.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I found this on an old thread.

Hello and welcome to AS. This saw has to have the o-ring installed on the black plastic elbow that the filter sits on to keep the particles from seeping past. Also, if you have the original nylon screen type filter, replace it with the optional flocked upper and lower halves. Parts numbers 69020-98321 (upper), 69020-98331 (lower). That should solve all your filtering problems.

I found this on an old thread.

Hello and welcome to AS. This saw has to have the o-ring installed on the black plastic elbow that the filter sits on to keep the particles from seeping past. Also, if you have the original nylon screen type filter, replace it with the optional flocked upper and lower halves. Parts numbers 69020-98321 (upper), 69020-98331 (lower). That should solve all your filtering problems.

Hi alderman, ironic, I just found these part numbers before I read this post,
69020-82321 NYLON AIR CLEANER, UPPER
69020-82331 NYLON AIR CLEANER, LOWER
and the FLOCKED ONES
69020-98321 upper half of flocked air filter
69020-98331 lower half of flocked air filter

Now does anyone on here know where I can purchase the flocked filter halves.
And yes, the o-ring is on the elbow

Thanks, john

I've had success with ereplacement parts and partstree.com.
Looks like they both have what you are looking for.

Back